Change of Pitch for High Elevation?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Rich

Reaction score
I faintly remember being told that if I move up or down in elevation that I would need to change out prop for one of a different pitch. Currently I am at 6,500 feet. If i were to go to 3,200 feet will there be a noticeable performance issue? If so, is it enough that I should have an extra prop of different pitch?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

BTW - 2013 PG V16 WT with a 90 hp 4 stroke.

I'm no BobB but I thought that it was an engine change not a prop change. In other words you adjusted the motor not the prop. And if I remember correctly (it's tough getting older) some motors automatically adjusted themselves.

Don't think it would be that noticable unless your running a BIG engine.

St Rich,

I apologize for not seeing your post earlier. A change in prop pitch is probably required. I will give you my experience.

I moved from 600' elevation to 4200' elevation. A lower pitch and smaller diameter prop (21" pitch and 14" diameter - I think) was definitely needed to get to max rpms (5500). From 4200', I would visit a lake at 8500'. I didn't change props but should have and would have if I lived there longer (there were some big honkin' trout in that lake).

I then moved to 100' elevation but boated at 1500'. The lower pitch prop worked ok but I probably could have gone somewhere between original and 4200' prop. I am at 100' elevation now and boating at 100'. I am using a tempest 23"P and 14 7/8 dia on a 175 Optimax.

I didn't select the prop for the higher elevation. I went to a respected prop dealer and he chose for me (very well in fact).

At 4200' there was 18% less oxygen so I got 18% less HP. Check the oxygen levels at your elevations and it will give you some indication of the difference in your performance you can expect.

Mike

Latest posts

Back