Casting Technique

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Lo

Reaction score
I want to share with everyone an observation and my experience with torn rotator cuffs and a torn labrum.

To begin, I recently had surgery on my right shoulder and had two full thickness rotator cuff tears, severe bone spurs below my AC joint and a type IV labral tear that included my biceps tendon. The labrum was completely torn off the bone from 7:00 to 1:00.

The original labral tear (SLAP lesion) was due to a improper strike during Karate 3 years ago; a clothesline tackle type strike. An MRI at that time showed a small SLAP and tendonitis in my shoulder. A canoe race finally did me in.

Saturday after surgery, while still foggy from Morphine, I was watching Bill Dance fish and was wondering why he, twenty years my senior, didn't have problems casting. Then the revelation came. He never casts lifting his elbow higher than his shoulder but rather like a praying mantis with his elbow down. Then Shaw Grigsby came on and he and two buddies were casting just like Dance. My entire life I have casted overhand like a baseball. The past 5 years or so, I began fishing heavy in early spring and late fall in Northern NJ where it is cold at 6am. No stretching, no warm up. I would go from dead sleep to perhaps 30 casts per hour for six hous or more.

The old expression, if I knew then what I know now certainly applies. I hope this helps those whp have any type of shoulder pain.

I've noticed that too. In fact I've tried to mimic that type of cast but I get neither distance nor accuracy with it. I do my best with a sidearm/underhand kind of cast. When I'm really going for distance, like when fishing crankbaits on a point, I use a two handed whole body hurl similar to a surf cast. I wish I could perfect that simple little from the elbow overhand cast. I guess a little practice goes a long way.

Never occured to me to warm up before fishing.

Harpo

30 cast an hour, sometimes I break over 100 cast an hour when it come to fishing crankbaits. Trust me I love to fish for pike and man I am one happy guy when I can put down my Abu C4 with a BSP extreme rod great Rod and Reel but a lot heavier than my carudo

X

I flip and pitch when I can. Throw cranks with the elbow down or side arm as my shoulders have been screwed up since college gymnastic 30 years ago. Rarely throw overhand. You can always start trolling for walleyes.

fatrap

Good quality equipment makes a world of difference. With the weight and balance right it takes a LOT of stress out of the mechanics of casting. Rods and reels have a "sweet spot" just like a baseball bat, golf club or a tennis raquet. The sweet spot is where you will get the most performance with least amount of effort.

That's why you buy the best you can afford.

TOXIC

ps try fly fishing with a 9 weight rod and sinking line all day!! Your shoulder/arm/neck/back are TRASHED after a full day!!

I did cast sidearm when I could, but that puts more strain on the labrum. Of the 36 major league pitchers with labral tears, 35 never returned. Also, two guys casting side arm in a 17-1/2' boat can be like syncronized swimming. Good excuse to upgrade, I guess.

As far as good equipment, I have Shimano Calais and Chronarch baitcasters and Shimano Sustain and Diawa SS2600 spinning reels. BUT, it never even occurred to me to cast with the elbow down. I am looking forward to trying next spring.

I also cast righthanded and reel lefthanded. I noticed one of the pros casting left then transferring the road to his right hand. DUH!

On what rods? Are they balanced. A lot of people that I know that have medical problems from casting end up using top end spinning equipment. Easier to cast and less motion/effort.

TOXIC

The Calais is on a 7ft G-loomis and the Chronarch on a 6-1/2 ft Rogue. When I place my index finger in front of the reel, they all balance before the cork ends. Is that ok?

Chris, trust me that they don't work. Caught more fish as a kid with my Mitchel 308 and a 5ft ABU-GARCIA rod. Might even go back next year to corn meal and Karo syrup mix on a treble hook. Just have to find the perfect V stick to prop up the rod with.

Redrocket,

let me know when your healthy enough to go fishin but not ready to take the boat out. Your welcome to go with me. Must be toture with the fall on it's way, so don't hesitate to ask.

PS. I can set you up with a bobber and a pushbutton zebco LOL.

Chris

I will take you up on that offer. I was thinking of ice fishing this year just to avoid casting.

BTW - What did you decide about your boat? Did you read my response to your wind problem?

No, I did not see your reply, I will go look at it. When your ready let me know, we could do some dropshottting in MC as well, not much casting invloved.

BTW, I went to Cranberry today (Saturday) not one bite, it was unbeleivable.

If there is a silver lining being home on Sat mornings instead of fishing, it's getting to watch OLN. Dance was drop shotting and I started to think about Merrill, Swartswood and Wawayanda, which all have gravel bottom near dropoffs. As soon as I'm cleared to reel or hold with my repaired arm, I'm there.

BTW, every cast he doused his bait with YUM. Is he a sponsor or does it really work?

I had an ulna nerve resection about 18 months ago on my left elbow...right one needs it now.

I also have a left rotator cuff tear, and bone spurs on the AC...starting therapy this week to to try and avoid surgery for the rotator, but will have to have surgeru for the AC.

Mine is from a combination of shooting handguns and fishing.

Ken, maybe you ought to think about buying a landing net.

;>)

Harpo

Ken, sorry to hear about your shoulder. While PT can strengthen the remaining cuff muscles and can even help repair small partial thickness tears, the bone spurs will rub away forever unless they are shaved down. The more tendonitis the more inflammation the less space the more rubbing etc etc.

My personal advice is get the surgery over with asap because the rehab time is less for partial tears vs full tears. Also, older tears don't repair as well since the fibers become scarred over time and even retract.

The conservative treatment works well with recent small tears. From the research I did, people like you and I will become symptomatic eventually because of the bone spurs.

I don't mean to scare you but I wish the two Orthopods that looked at my shoulder 3 years had told me this.

Latest posts

Back