Carpet, Seats and Oxidation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie Neal

Reaction score
I have owned a 2005 929 CDX since 2006. The trailer oxidized within 1 year. The the black gel on the top of the boat has oxidation did so about a year ago. Also, on the back "pontoons as I call them, the gel has become wavy and is popping off.

I love the boat itself, but bless be the seats need replacing and the carpet just continues to "go away".

Also, the upholstery needs replacing.

Any help out there? Will Nitro do something about the gel coat?

Nitro's warranty only covers the structual aspects of the hull. Specifically says no coverage on gel coat.

I would buy the carpet and redo it myself, take the boat to a reputable fiberglass repair shop to fix the gel coat, and have a local upholstery shop redo the seats. Make sure they use stainless staples for the seat trim.

All the best,

Glenn

Wet sand the gel or take it to a shop. Repaint the trailer if you can't wax out the haze (havce you waxed it in the past?) What is your boat gel care routine. If it is not prettrigerous and your boat is outside it will happen PDQ. Remember your boat is 6-7 years old. About time for a re-do. Tracker will not have anything to do with it. My 929 did the same thing.

TOXIC

I can't believe 5 or 6 years and the boat is ready for a gel re-do? Gel coat getty wavy and popping off isn't normal. Not sure what caused it, but it isn't normal.

If you leave it outside uncovered and unprotected from UV rays....its not uncommon for any fiberglass product to show sign of oxidation.

My only caveat to what both Mini and I said is that the gel on the back corners of mine did the same thing. It is not normal and everyone who looked at it seemed to think it was because of the thickness of the glass there. I have attached a pic of the damage mine had. It was actually worse than what the picture shows. Besides the cracks, the gel was lifting unevenly between the cracks and the white is under the glass not oxidation. Looks to me like the glass was set too hard. The other side did not do it. I never took it to a shop because it was for sure cosmetic because you will not find thicker glass anywhere on the boat and because of where it was located there is no way it could be stress cracks...no way. I decided to live with it.

Gel.jpg

TOXIC

Roger, I understand the oxidation -- no issue with that -- Mini, I would have thought you considered me smarter than that ... :(. ;). Maybe exposure to the elements, particularly direct sun, causes that cracking; that is the part I don't understand. my boat is 9 years old and properly maintained I've had no oxidation. And the only cracks ... well, let's just say that when I wasn't determining how much water she could hold I was checking whther or not the dock would give way first ... :wacko::lol::wacko::lol::wacko:.

Toxic. That is exactly what mine is doing. It looks like it is going to fall off anytime.

I have kept it under 2 different Nitro Team custom covers the entire time. I wash it after every trip and treat it with Bass Boat Saver.

I think the factory screwed something up during processing.

I remember seeing that on a few different 929's in that era and newer. I think it had something to do with how it was pulled from the mold. They did warranty a few back in the day, but I can tell you that it is purely cosmetic, at least thats what we were told at the time.

Makes sense. After all my boat had been through at that point, if it was not paramount to the operation of the boat/motor, it was left alone. Now if I had a new one and it did that, I would squeal like a big pig and keep squealing until it got fixed. :lol:

TOXIC

I meant to say OLDER not newer....

And I can remember seeing some really BAD ones. The GM of the Store in Auburn Hills got a really bad one. They built him a new one.

I dunno. It is obviously a manufacturers defect and it could be considered on the hull so if you are the original owner you might be able to make a case. I have my doubts because it would be considered cosmetic. Worth a try though and if you are really bothered by the looks of it, you could take it to a glass shop and see that can be done and the cost. It might be cheaper than you think.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back