Carolina Rig

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I started throwing a C Rig a lot lately and never would before, so am new at it. Main line is Seaguars 17 Invis and leader is same in 12 lb and 3/4 oz with a 1/4 oz bead. I get a lot of break off on snags, mostly fish rocks and shell beds, and end up loosing my tunsten weights and they ain't cheap. The question is; I fish mostly clear water and was wondering if I changed to braid on the main line am I going to miss bites because of visibility? What do you guys use for the main line?

I fish a lot of clear water lakes in the SE and use braid on my main C-rig rods. I use 50-65lb. Seaguar Kanzen with a variety of leader strength (8-20 lb.) Tatsu flouro, unless I want more float or rise (grass, etc.) then I use mono. For finesse riggin' I split shot 8 lb. Tatsu with small baits. I don't believe my bite ratio dropped a bit when I made the switch to braid on the main line. To the contrary, I feel more bottom contact and pick-ups with the braid. I start off with a 3' leader and retie nicks frequently until it gets around 2', unless I'm floating a bait above bottom structure, then I set my leader to control the rise over it. The bulk of my C-rigging is in the post spawn, just for reference. Any other time of year and I'd sooner take a beating. ;)

Jimmy I am fishing my c-rig on 40lb Power Pro, I put my weight and bead on, add a 30lb swivel and tie on some mono leader, no lost tungsten that way. I cannot remember the brand of swivel, but they make them in several strengths.

So far so good.

IMHO, you are fishing too heavy unless you are in 20ft or more. I'm a sissy fisherman and like finesse, even on C-rigs (which I hate to throw btw):lol:

Tox, I am fishing depths between 15 and 35 foot. I haven't had much trouble catching fish, I just lose a lot of weights getting hung up on rocks. Think I will start with some 30 lb braid, that will be twice as strong as I am using now.

One of my favorite ways to fish summer thru fall!

Your not too heavy...it gives you better contact feel and it doesn't hinder hookset.

Although I'll use braid for my main line..I never use braid for the connection...no need.

As far as losing weights...par for the course.

One tip I can give is I use the Steel weights only instead of expensive tungsten and turn the weight around backwards which puts the larger end at the front...it keeps the weight from digging into the rocky bottom so much. The steel has a good feel...maybe not as good as tungsten but, close. You'll still get hung up...just not as much.

( BTW...Tungsten is Way overpriced IMHO)

I use 50lb braid for the main line and the Mojo Rockhopper weights in 1/2 to 5/8 oz sizes. The rockhoppers get hung up way less and you can really feel the bottom with braid. For leader, I usually use 8lb flouro. One of my main fish catching techniques this time of year. I'm usually fishing 20'-40' deep.

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back