Can I trailer with cover on?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo

Reaction score
I have a new 2021 Z20pro. Can I trailer it with the cover on? Any issues with interstate driving?

I trailer my z-17 all the time with the cover on. I always check that it is tight and the straps are also secure so they don't just flap in the wind. I recommend stopping after about half an hour on the road. 1st check your wheel bearings to insure they aren't getting hot, then tighten any loose straps on your cover.

If it's a travel cover then yes you can trailer the boat covered, however no matter how tight you can make it after time it will mar the finish where it rubs.

Only use a cover when traveling due to weather like rain, snow, or when the roads are sweating. Like Nitro926 stated the cover will eventually wear on the boat finish.
it is also hard on the cover to trailer.

Yes, you can, I pulled my new boat from Pro's Choice Marine in MO. to Louisiana. No problem at all just keep it tight with the rachet pulls.
Tha trip is the only time I've used that cover. I use a nylon dust cover under my garage cover since it's much easier to take on/off.

I trailered my Z19 with the cover from East MS to Toledo bend. No problems. My cover is the one supplied to Nitro with the ratchet straps made into.

Seems the cover places pressure on the top of the windshields causing them to crack where the thumb screws mount them to the console. A buddy had both his windshields crack during 1st time use coming from the dealer to his home.

I’ve always used 1 1/4” plastic drain sump pump hose. Split it down the middle and run it across the top of the whole windshield this has always protected my trailer covers. Gives the cover a rounded edge and some cushion. Have trailered with the cover on and with out the cover on, always depends on the weather. Theirs no perfect solution you just have to find what works best for you.

Others have tried putting some sort of foam etc... up there put it does not change how much pressure the cover puts on the plastic windshield then while running down the road the wind adds even more pressure causing them to crack. I personally haven't had the issue but I know several that have???

I've trailered my Tracker with the cover on but don't have the windshield worries I would have with a Nitro. I no longer trailer covered. I put a Terrova trolling motor on and it hangs off the front some. I fear the sharp edges and prop would damage the cover. The only reason I wanted to trailer with the cover on was for security if I stopped somewhere. (possibly a false sense) Now I just keep my cover in the truck and put it on if I'm stopping at a restaurant or store.

I appreciate the info on the possibility of towing with the cover on and wearing on the finish. I keep the cover on and in a carport. I have never towed with cover on. My 2022 Z18 Pro is still pretty new and I want to take care of it.

I should have mentioned that I have a full windshield and is glass. I think all trolling motors hang over the bow. The cover material is padded, but probably would not hold up to the sharp prop blades. So I added a small piece of old canvas cover and wrapped the blades up to protect the cover.

I always trailer with cover on except locally. It’s amazing how much road grime can accumulate inside the cockpit area on just a 1-2 hour trip there and back! On 4-8 hour trips that cover is on, and I have very little “rubbing” problems. 2020 Z20 with factory Nitro cover…

I trailer with cover all the time. Have to go down a 6 mile dirt and sand road on the way to lake! The only thing that gets marks is the Mercury motor. My cover does include the motor cover too. That is it..

I think all trolling motors hang over the bow.

They all hang over, or stick up some but electric steer motors like a Terrova, Powerdrive or Ulterra hang over a bunch. Motors like an Edge, Ultrex or many others with a folding bracket don't hang over as far. Retracting the motor pulls it back over the boat a few inches. I had a mount of my Terrova that allowed me to slide it back but it was noisy is rough water. I feel that the noise from the mount "could" spook fish. I'll take a picture of how much one hangs over next time I have my boat uncovered.

Latest posts

Back