Cabin Fever Poll: Fishing Show Hosts.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough one. Shaw's great, probably the best. I can't remember the name of the show 'cause I've only seen it a couple of times, but Denny Brauer is really good. Can't wait for March. He'll be one of the speakers at the BASS University in Lansing.

Craig

Well, while I'm thinkin' about one favorite, (tough choice)

I can tell ya my least favorite---

The Diiiiiiiiiiiimstorrrrre Fissssshhhhhhermannnnnnn....

If I was out and those guys were on the same lake, I'd load up and pull out. Sorry if they're anyone's fav, (fingernails on a chalkboard to me) but that's about the only fishin' show that actually makes me look to see what else is on t.v. Ok, favorite, tossup between Shaw and Denny, goin' with Shaw

i have to go with hank parker i like the shows he dose wuth the kids

I used to like watching Jerry McInnis (spelling?) on the "The Fishin' Hole" He was always into the smallies while the other shows only featured large mouth's.

Marke

(1) Hank Parker, (2) Jerry McKinnis and (3) Shaw Grigsby

Charlie Moore up here in the Northeast on NESN outdoors. Funny as hell.

I met Charlie Moore "The Mad Fisherman" during a tournament on Winni last summer. I think he's on Drugs..LOL

Him and Curtis used to live across the street from each other so Curtis and I walked up to say hi. He kept looking around like he was waiting for someone to jump him from behind.

He lives in Windham, NH now. That way it's only an hour south to the NESN studio in Boston and only an hour North to Winni. I'd love to see his show more often but he has like the 4am on Sunday time slot.

Marke

Everyone has there favorites. Don't like Roland nor Shaw for that matter. Enjoy Hank Parker, and agree with someone above that Larry Nixon does a very good job - probably at or near the top.

Also enjoy the In-fishermen bunch, some better than others. Good info though.

If I had to pull one lever on the machine, it would be for Larry Nixon.

Tex

I take it you guys have not seen the fishing program "Fish On"? Not sure if there is even a host of the show. If there is he is not noticed. Check it out.

1. Hank Parker The guy is a riot!!

2. Larry Nixon The guiy is truly a great and genuine human being. I used to live about 35 miles from him. Teaches very well!

3. Denny Brauer

4. Any body remember Go Fish with Fish Fishburne!!!

Sorry couldn't really pick just one, and you can't forget the classics like Orlando Wilson and Jimmy Houston!!

Tim

Can't say I have a favorite but I sure wish they would start showing more USA inland lakes fishing or Maybe come up with a fishing network.

Infisherman is a good show but makes me want to live up north (Waleye are my favorite).

Tim -

I am relieved that "Go Fish" didn't last..... Fishburn was obnoxious.

Is Jimmy Huston trying to cover a bald spot or does his hair really grow that way?!!?

me!

I don't know who the host is, but the show is Midwest Outdoors. They show a lot of lakes in the area where I live or can at least drive to within a couple hours.

Barb

Interesting fact about Hank Parker since a lot listed him as their favorite (mine also). Did you know he gets extremely seasick? Yep, someone was interviewing Jr. and he let that slip, said his dad would kill him if he knew he told. LOL!! If you got through the hype and all of the wacky soud effects, Fish Fishbourne was good. He had a terrible producer for his show. I once saw him make a spinnerbait out of a golf ball (he was fishing golf course lakes), hit it off of the tee into the lake (bail open on his rod) and catch a bass (there's one for you cheap lure guys). He also fished the water inside at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, it was hilarious. He could be annoying at times but you gotta admit he was good.

TOXIC

I remember that episode Tox. He actually caught fish on it too! Mine is Hank though with Jimmy second. They're both hillarious but informative and down to earth. PLUS they fish real water unlike other hosts, that I notice have NOT been listed as a favorite yet! LOL

Yeah, it's amazing that most of us can see through the hype of some of these guys. I like to watch Dance's bloopers only because it makes me feel better knowing someone messes up more than I do. Did you see Fishbourne when he put his dad in a lawn chair on a pole in the middle of a bay? Or the outtakes when he was supposed to jump from the dock into a belly boat. He finally did it after about 20 tries. Classic pulling those fake fish out of his livewell. I actually have some of his shows on tape. And as for the "Eye Candy" on "Fish-On", If I want to watch bikini's, I'll watch the playboy channel. I wouldn't mind it if the women could fish, but they can't. Watch them cast, it's lame and an insult to fishermen. I may be cheap and crude but they will have to do better than that.

TOXIC

Well that did it Toxic. I am applying for the job to teach those women a few things....lol! Then you can put me down as your favorite host....well you probably wont because those women would be able to fish and you would vote for them!

Anyone ever see that Babe Winkleman show when he was belly boat fishing for sturgeon? He was like bobber....funniest thing I had seen next to the Jerry Reed/Bill Dance show when Bill released Jerry's first 10 pound bass.

Mini

Yeah,..I saw that,...it was unbelievable!! He was fishing in a river in WA state somewhere.....remember the time in Novi when he was staying at the same hotel with all of us from BPS,...he bought a "round" for our whole table!! LOL...that was cool!!

Mine is Hank Parker hands down. He's just a good 'ole boy.

That's not to say that there aren't some women out there in bikini's who can fish. The billfish challenge extereme or whatever has an all women team (ships Captain is male) and these women can fish. Tied up in a fighting chair with the belt and the butt of of a deep sea rod planted,and sweaty from the fight.... oooooolala. There's nobody helpin them with these big bills, it's against the rules. They also go for King Mackerel. Now mini, I'm sure there would be a lot of volunteers to teach those women how to fish (the line starts behind me).LOL

TOXIC

MY favorite Fishburne outtake is when he is going through his list for the Warden and says look here I even got a Wizz bag!! Too funny!! THe golf ball spinnerbait and the fake fish were classics too! And they even had Hank Parker as the Curator(?) for the Opryland Hotel gig!!LOL

Hanks a riot. Had a nice talk with him during the Mustad Classic. I'm not sure I've ever seen Larry Nixon's show, but based on his seminars at BASS U. last year, he's the most amazing speaker I've seen/heard on bass fishing. That guy has so much knowledge and insight into every aspect of fishing. And Joe Thomas was pretty good too. His two seminars were the only ones the guy I went with DIDN'T sleep through. I just read his book last Saturday (yeah, I read it in one sitting, about 5 hours). What an eye opener. Rob, if you havn't read it, I recomend it HIGHLY!!!

Craig

"Diary of a Bass Pro", written with Tim Tucker right after Joe won the Redman All-American in 1990.

Craig

I read it too...after reading that you'll say to yourself,.."My day job with a regular paycheck isn't so bad after all!"...LOL!!!!!!......Another great book is Ray Scott's....Bass Boss...buy it and READ IT!!!!! And don't forget to put KVD's new book "Secrets of a Champion" on your Xmas list,.....i hear the illustrations are pretty good! ;o)

Mac

Shameless self promotion.....a sign of a true success in this sport! lol

Mini

Well..... Shaw got off to a strong start..... But Hank kicked up his heals and came on strong at the end for a Win!

Hank - 8

Shaw - 5

Larry - 2

Roland - 1

Jerry - 1

Charlie Moore - 1

Joe Thomas - 1

Honorable Mentions go to the In Fisherman and Midwest Outdoors.

Yeah,...I'd have to vote for Hank for the pure "entertainment" part,...and In-fishermen for the quality of the information and technical aspects like the why's and how's.....although I cannot stand that curly haired dude,....I like Al & Jim Lindner and Doug Stange, but I can't take too much of that other guy...forgot his name!!

I get frustrated watching In Fisherman..... They get SO technical. Makes me feel like I can't go out and just ENJOY catching fish unless I have all the right equipment and all the right lures and rig just the right way.....

Have you ever noticed though that they seem to almost never mention their rod and reel manufacturers - even though they put in plugs for just about everyone else?

me!

They use all Quantum stuff.......they've been using that for several years now. Their delivery and information is deffinetely geared towards experienced and tournament fishermen in my opinion...you're right about that,..they don't break it down to the level of "beginners" too often.

(Dan Sura is the guys name......he just bugs me!! LOL!!)

Doug Stange does a good job of teaching the basics...especially when he's talking about catfishin'...that's his forte',......but Al and Jim have a tendancy to assume that the viewer already knows a lot about fishing in general..they're really good about explaining patterns and finding the "spot on the spot" that's so critical for tournament success and catching the biggest fish on that particular structure....they're awesome!!

Mac

If they use Quantum, that's why they're not plugging it. I can't seem to keep mine operating for more than a season with the exception of an ABS pro model, it's been a work horse. I heard that Al stepped down? My problem is that they go to so many lakes including Canada that they are always on the fish because their "scouts" put them on the hot water all of the time. Notice they never have any "local" guides or people with them, always a Manufacturer's Rep or someone like that. Just some observations, I do like them.

TOXIC

The whole In-fisherman name and business was recently sold to "Omni-Media" or something like that,.....it was up for sale for a long time before someone bought it. Don't know what personel changes if any, will be coming, but I think they bought it last year, so maybe they'll still have the same group doing the segments (Al, Jim, Doug, and Dan) but who knows......i think one of the stipulations they had in place before it could be sold was that they all wanted to remain on staff,....they just wanted to fish and let all the new owners deal with the finances and sponsors, etc..etc....Ron wanted to retire all together....that's what I heard anyway from some walleye pro friends of mine that were familiar with all the details. I never paid much attention to it though.....i've got enough of my own stuff to deal with!!..LOL

Mac

Yes, I have noticed that they use Quantum - but unless someone pays close attention, they'd never know. I have several Quantum rods but don't think I've ever owned one of their reels. I've had such excellent service from my Shimano's and some Abu round reels that, since my money is a bit tight, I have absolutely no desire to spend it elsewhere. And the Curado 101's fit so well into my small hands!

Well my vote is for Charlie Ingram

Anyone remember the episode of Orlando Wilson and Tracy Bird?? Tracy threw the pliers in the water instead of the fish he just removed the hook from. What ever happend to Orlando any way??

I heard he jumped in 3 feet of water after some pliers and was never seen again, it was over his head....lol

Mini

Hey Mac, how come you can't get Kevins new book at BPS Auburn Hills yet? Don't you have ANY pull with the GM? I keep looking for it, but nobody knows anything about it. Whas up wid dat?!?!

Craig

Craig,.....I have ZERO pull with the GM at BPS,,...ahahaha

that's a good question to ask HIM!!!...."Hey TOM,..why don't we have KVD's book here???"....sorry I can't helpya Bigdog,.....you can borrow 1 of my copies,....i have two!

Mac

I'm about to the point where I'll go to...GASP...Gander Mountian or Cabelas! Anybody else carry it?

Craig

Call D&R sports in Kalamazoo.....they'll have signed copies there!! get the phone number from info!!!..

Mac

One I can't hardly stand to watch is "Fishing with Shelly and ???" ....you know..those two blondies.

I like the In-fisherman crew and Shaw.

Shelly and Courtney are the reason I quit watching Monday Night Fishing 30 minutes early!!

Can you say ANNOYING!!

Tim

Joe Thomas.His sponsor is the Outdoor channel.

The show is called Angler on tour.Check it out.

Latest posts

Back