Buying A New Prop.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Brown

Reaction score
I am looking at a new prop for my 700lx, It came with a 12.5 x 23p aluminum prop. I have read online that my 90hp force doesn't really have the power for a 23 pitch. I was wondering what props other owners of the 700lx use.

I am looking at a new prop for my 700lx, It came with a 12.5 x 23p aluminum prop. I have read online that my 90hp force doesn't really have the power for a 23 pitch. I was wondering what props other owners of the 700lx use.
I had a 75hp on my 170TF, ran a 21 pitch SS prop. At 5250 RPM, I'd run about 43 MPH.
If you're not running 5250 RPM, then you're over propped, at least that's what it is for a Mercury. If your RPM is too high, then you're under propped.

I had a 75hp on my 170TF, ran a 21 pitch SS prop. At 5250 RPM, I'd run about 43 MPH.
If you're not running 5250 RPM, then you're over propped, at least that's what it is for a Mercury. If your RPM is too high, then you're under propped.
Thanks Larry, I've never really noticed an issue with my current aluminum prop. I will say it seems I have to have my motor trimmed most of the way up to hit the 5250 rpm, and it doesn't have much of a hole shot even with a hydrofoil on it.

I run a 19 pitch prop on my 700 lx, its a stainless prop.... runs around 48 mph.. 21 pitch is to much of a strain on the motor which causes it to not run at high rpm and has terrible holeshot, 19 pitch is right on the money..i run a hydrofoil along with the 19 pitch prop...

it will run more than 5500+ rpm with a 19 pitch, so just keep an eye on the rpm gauge,, and it will get up on plane in less than 5 sec..its the perfect match for this boat under any circumtances

I run a 19 pitch prop on my 700 lx, its a stainless prop.... runs around 48 mph.. 21 pitch is to much of a strain on the motor which causes it to not run at high rpm and has terrible holeshot, 19 pitch is right on the money..i run a hydrofoil along with the 19 pitch prop...

Is that "48mph" by the speedometer or GPS?
My speedo said I was running over 50 when I had a 75hp Merc. with a 21p prop, in reality, I was running 42,43 according to GPS.
I upgraded to a 115hp Merc., now I'm running 52mph according to GPS with a 24p prop.
I'm going to install my old stabilizer and try it out, next spring.

I know this thread isn’t all that new, but I have a 90hp four stroke on my 700LX dc. Believe it or not, it will do 50mph on gps with a 15p x 13.5” prop. My outboard max rpm is 6000. With my partner, me, and some light gear, we’re revving at 5700 rpm. I hear that the best prop setup is to be able to hit your max rpm at WOT with just u in the boat and no gear.

Latest posts

Back