Buying 2 boats in 3 months

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Got a new member of our club last month, with a brand new ProCraft boat that he took delivery of in early August. Been out in it a number of times, and loved it. However, he needed some minor warranty work done on the boat. Turns out he bought it in Georgia (where he got a good deal), but lives in SC.

Contacted the local ProCraft dealer to take it in. When he got there, he was told that the guy wouldn't work on it. 'You are not my customer, and probably won't be for the forseeable future. Take it back to the dealer you bought it from - or try somewhere else.'

After pressing him further, he was told that if the original dealer ordered the parts, and got them in, he 'might' be able to do it in late October, not before. The second dealer in SC that he could go to is about 100 miles away (Clemson). He got no real help from ProCraft on this either.

He then goes and talks to the local Champion dealer, hoping to maybe find a solution (he went there because a member of our club bought a new Champion from him this year, and recommended him).

Bottom line is that he traded a new ProCraft with 18 hours on the engine, in on a brand new Champion.

Again, the morale of the story remains what most of us have said:

Choose your dealer carefully. As carefully (or in some cases - more carefully) than the brand of boat/motor that you are buying.

Tex

Service Service Service - eventually we all need it and some dealers just don't provide it.

Actually, in this story, I feel sorry for the Champion dealer. Sounds like he has to sell a high priced trade-in that will be under warranty but nobody in the neighborhood to service it.

At least your buddy got a nice boat from a local dealer.

Da Bear

Yep, the dealer is everything. I cant believe that another procraft dealer wouldnt help the guy out and that procraft let it happen.

Your buddy should report the dealer's unwillingness to uphold his warranty obligations directly to Pro Craft (TMG). It could save someone else the hassle down the line. It also sounds like the dealer in question is looking to drop the line or go out of business as fast as they can! As always, it usually starts with and ends with the dealer. Good or bad. IMHO

Procraft is owned by Tracker Marine, for those who don't know.

Second, no manufacturer can make a dealer put one customer ahead of another. And if it came down to it, I'm sure the dealer would find a way to say he's back-logged until then.

End result is that the dealer should have their name posted for others to consider. Without accountability, this crap will continue.

Now, do not take this to mean that the dealer shouldn't have every right to prioritize the order in which service is provided based upon their own criteria. For instance, if I bought 4 boats from this dealer, and I've got a tourney coming up this weekend, I should make mention of both facts and ask for preferential treatment (not to say I should get it).

But you know, we all sit and whine about "service after the sale" but then expect the dealer that didn't get the sale to offer the best service. That's ONE side of the arugment. The other side is, by bringing my boat to you, I AM your customer and should be treated equally. I believe the best dealerships make you feel like you're getting both, not a compromise of both. If you bought your boat here, you should FEEL that you're getting better service because of your existing relationship with that dealer. If you didn't buy your boat there, you should FEEL that the dealer is treating you as well as every other customer.

Oh well, I've made no real sense here, so just chalk it up as another "useless" post :(.

He should take his new Champion over to show the procraft dealer how he fixed his warranty problem to let him know he LOST a potentional customer and some big wire ties around the guys driveshaft...

BF

Bruce, the temptation is always there to drive your new rig to the dealership that lost the sale. I should be honest and tell you that while doing so may make you feel good, you're being flipped off as you leave.

However, the wire ties sounds like a good plan. The problem with the businesses that "don't need you" is that they don't need enough people that in fact, they end up with no business. Sometimes it takes a really long time for them to get theirs, but they will eventually.

Latest posts

Back