Browning Midas or Johnny Morris Reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Riley

Reaction score
Looking at buying a new baitcast reel. Currently use a Quantum ACS and looking to branch out to another vendor/model. BassPro has the Browning Midas on sales from $159 to $99. Looks like a great buy so does anyone have experience with this reel? Are they top quality reels? Is the Browning worth the money or should I spend the extra $40 and go with the Johnny Morris Signature? Looking at the specs. the two reels look very close in how they are manufactured and built....

I have a few Johnny Morris Signature reels and love them worth every penny :D

never tried the browning Midas.

I think both the browning and the J.M. are Bass Pro private brand probably made at the same factory. Not 100% sure, but 90% sure.....

I've seen new shimano curado D's for 159 NEW on ebay

Thats my reel of choice

JS

I just got a couple new Browning Midas reels last week......DEFFINITELY worth $99!! Very smooth and well built. Buy'em!!

They're virtually identical to the JLM Sgnature reels....JLM's are silver....Brwngs are Black.

Hey Dan,

BPS has them both right now for $100.00.. The JLM reel has one more bearing and has a dual braking system which is nice. If I were you I would look at BPS on-line and compare the two. Read all of the reviews. The Browning's overall rating is 5.0 out of 5.0 but there's only two reviews. The Johnny Morris Reel has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5.0 but that's out of

75 reviews. That's pretty impressive to me. Good luck with whatever you do.

Uncle Billy

The Browning reels have the Dual Braking system too......the only difference is the 1 extra bearing in the JLM. If I couldn't get JLM reels for some reason,....I'd be all over those Brownings!! NIIIICE stuff!! I have the Midas and Citori spinning reels too and they're both VERY well built!! BPS is building some excellent reels now under all of their brand names!

I know I have two of the Medallion rods that I really like for crankin'...just the right amount of tip:)

they both are a good reels I don't thinkkyou can go wrong no matter what you get.

Thank you eveyone for all your feedback...Sounds like both reels are very good as well as very close with how they are built. Additionally, as Uncle Billy pointed out, BPS has both reels now on sale for $99. This has now become a much more difficult decision than previously thought, so I have convinced myself to use some of that tax refund and get both...:)

Picking up the boat next week so these reels should arrive just in time to give them a test drive....

Good deal...!

I havent tried the Browning baitcasters (they dont come in left handed). I do have 10 Johnny Morris baitcasters (including the 2 Elites I got this year.....WOW!!!)

Mini

Like Mini, I have 10 of the Johnny Morris Baitcasters and am very happy. And a bargain right now at $97.99

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58373_-100000000_-100000000__Clearance10

I have no experience with the Brownings.

I have both JM and Browning. I actually prefer the Browning. I can't seem to get the JM set up as smooth as I have the Browning. Probably operator error but both are excellent reels. I actually traded one of my Curados to a friend for another Browning.

Ok Mini and Moc..:lol::lol:sounds like a new TV series:lol::lol: why would you have ten of those reels?? And, I know those aren't the only ones you have so how many reels do each of you think you have??

Uncle Billy

I've got about 30-35 reels....and @ 40rods. hhhmmm...guess i need a few more reels!!:huh:

Uncle Billy, I have 18 Shimano 100 or 200's, 2 of the new Shiamnao Calais 4x8 DC, 4 Calcuttas, and 6 Shimano spinning reels. I do need to pick up 3 more baitcasters, and 1 more spinning reel to put on the new rods purchased over the winter. You can never have enough, it's just like guns, no such thing as enough.

Buzz

Just buy one of each and forget it. I agree with jstrong98 the Curado's are awesome. I have had around 20 or so of the old 100's, 200's and 200SF's and currently own one of the new Curado's with the 7-1 ratio, they are hard to beat. I have a JLM baitcaster and it is a fine reel, but in my opinion does not compare with the Curado's. One thing about the Shimano that bothered me is that they would not participate in the "Bring a reel in and get a discount on your new reel, and they give the reels you bring in to kids promotion" during the Spring Classics that BPS had across the nation. I believe all the other reel manufacturers participated except Shimano.

Mac

Sounds like a cartoon. Are there any freshwater octopi? He could use seven or eight techiques all at once.

fatrap

You dont want to know. heck I dont even know....

I did do inventory on rods and I am sitting right at 55, but I have more coming from BPS and American Rodsmith (field testing some of the 08 stuff, all prototypes).

I can tell you all the different model reels I have (I will guess the numbers in parenthases)....

Shimano: Calcutta (5), Curado (3), Symetre (2), Sahara (1), BlackMagnum (4), TX (2)

BPS: ProQualifier (6), Extreme (8), Johnny Morris (14), Jonny Morris Elite (2), GoldCup (2), Pete Mania (2), White River (2)

Browning: Midas (3)

Pfleuger: Supreme (2)

So I am guessing 66....there may be more....who knows....

Mini

Mini

:)

Let me know when you have a "right handed reel garage sale":lol::lol::lol::p

Rick

Latest posts

Back