Braid

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Lindley

Reaction score
I need a little help if there are any line experts out there. I fish nights in rocky areas where you stay hung up and I used to use regular 20 lb moss green Spiderwire. It has been a few yrs since I've bought this type line and I couldn't find the plain stuff that was tough as iron so I picked up a spool of Spiderwire EZ Braid, and it is nowhere near the toughness of the older line. I used to be able to straighten any jig and retreive it. Is there anything out there as good as the "old stuff"? I'm not too worried about visibility since this fishing is done at night. Thanks for any wisdom out there in advance.

I've got a 1500 yard spool of 30lb Ugly Braid for sale on the Swap / Sell page for $75. Hard to beat that price for a bulk spool like that.

All the best,

Glenn

I like power pro but not near anything that resembles a rock, i have had way too many break offs with it. It seems to cut really easy in rocks, i never had that with the original spider wire. Im bummed that they dont make it any more.

The one i have found to replace it is the Stren Sonic braid. I have found that it works pretty well overall in the rocks.

I am partial to power pro, and no big issues with rocks. even use it for catfishing too.

Stren Sonic Braid 80 pounds for flipping on day light. That's all that I use all the time for jigging, flipping, carolina, small square bill crank's.

Jim B, that is what is happening to me a lot right now. Grub fishing for walleyes/saugers=hung up all the time, and I'm using 3 times the jigs as I used lst year plus losing the "re-tie" time. I can't go heavier than 20lb due to current drag. Mini-is that Excel Braid like the "old" Spiderwire?

Power Pro (Best) nice and round excellent castability. Suffix Braid (2nd)

I like them both

Mark

Berry, i fish carolina rigs and jigs for smallies a lot and getting hung up is kind of part of the game. When i tried power pro for that application when i would say get the c-rig weight stuck in a rock one sharp tug on the rod was all it took to cut the line and i was running 50#. I would normally run 30# original spider wire for that application and if i got hung up i could either get the weight free or if i had to bust if off i really had to work at it. My informal tests using both tell me that the power pro isnt very abrasion resistant. I like everything else about the power pro line but the breaks offs prompted me to stop using it.

In my search for a replacement since they discontinued the original spiderwire that i like so much( thankfully i bought a big spool and havent used it al up yet) i have tried bunches of others. The stren sonic is the closest to the original spider wire that i have found yet.

Isn't that Excel? I'm thinking about popping over to BPS and look at some of that. I just looked at Fireline Crystal, Power Pro, and the 3 Spiderwire varieties and I think the Power Pro looked the best of what is left. I have some of the 10 lb Crystal on another rod, and it is OK but just not as tough. The guide icing is rough on the Crystal.

Excel braid is woven like powerpro and NOTHING like spiderwire. I cant stand spiderwire, butt o each his/her own.

for those with problems breaking off with power pro in rocks. are you fishing areas that have zebra (or other) mussels? alos back off your drag a bit, I think you will find your break offs will lessen.

I'm with Mini and Tox. The BPS braid is great for use and "strong like bull". It's not flat woven (like a bow strap on a winch) which digs in bad every single time I've tried it. It's woven, like the Power Pro, similar to a firehose. It helps retain the roundness and is much less troublesome and easier to pick out a backlash. :rolleyes: Good luck! ;)

Mini, no zebra mussels in the waters i fish. Like i said before it seems like power pro just isnt very abrasion resistant. If i get it stuck in the rcks and give it a tug it cuts like nothing at all. 8# test mono would stand up to the amount of force i put on it without breaking 50# braid should be able to too.

must be some slate or very sharp rocks. no problems here in the great lakes.

Mini,

Id bet theres some slate down there and im sure some granite. like i said before i have naver had that problem with the old original Spiderwire. If i got hung and had to break it off i really had to work at it and the power pro cuts like butter in the same rocks. I liive everything else about power pri, its great around wood and weeds it just hates rocks.

Latest posts

Back