BPS Extreme Baitcasters (your opinion/help)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky P

Reaction score
Guys, I value your opinions on my previous posts and your insite on my Curado post a few weeks ago.

Last fall as I was winding down my season of smallie fishing I promised myself and the smallies that I was going to take a different approach to catching them this season. After fishing for 35 years with spinning gear I owe it to myself to perfect fishing with a baitcaster. TRY.... to perfect fishing with a baitcaster.

I got to eye up some baitcasters and trigger rods over the winter and thought I would get 2 set-ups for my river smallie fishing. I want to use them for crankbait fishing. At the Classic I picked up a Curado 101B and a BPS Crankin' Stick 6'6" ML for fishing smaller crankbaits 1/8 - 1/4 oz. I spooled up with 8lb. Iron Silk. I know it sounds a bit whimpy, but should be good for the action of smaller Rapalas, Bandits and Normans.

Without breaking the bank in my search for a set up to throw 3/8 to 1/2 oz. baits I liked the feel of matching up the BPS Extreme (L/H 5.2:1) on the Extreme Woo Daves 7ft. Med. Crankbait rod. The tip felt slower than a worm or spinnerbait versions. The set up was light and balanced great to me.

When I asked the sales guy about problems he has seen with the reels and negative feedback he has gotten about them. He couldn't offer up anything. He seemed to focus only on the fact it was a good value for the dollar. I held off from buying it only to get a few opinions first. I thought at $99 for the combo it may be worth it.

Interested in your opinion on the Extreme reels. As far as usage I do not tournament fish, but plan to use it on a regular basis. I will continue to spin fish all my soft plastics. Just want to get a good start fishing crankbaits.

Sorry for being so long winded. Just excited about my new approach. Don't figure it to be simple or easy. I know I'll get it down in time and practice.

Originally I bought 2 of 'em, but this was a while ago and the last model. I understand they've changed them now, but they are fantastic for a while. After that while the spools seem to drag a little when casting no matter how much you clean and / or oil it. Mine are in the garage collecting dust.

For my money, the Curado 101 and 201 are both the way to go. I own 5 of 'em. 2 of the 101 and 3 of the 201. That's all I use anymore.

My Wife got me the BPS Pro Qual PQ1000 XPSH this past X-Mas.. I spooled it with 14 lbs XPS Flurocarbon.. Very smooth. I have it setup to be used as one of my Senko combo's. I think it would work well with CB's. Cant beat the price. I have a Curado 201. It's ok. Havnt used it in the past 2 Bassin season's though. I personaly like the Quantum PTi's. But if you want something that wont break your wallet, then the Extreme will work well.

My .02

Max <><

We've got two of them and love them. Probably the best deal going. Is the Curado a better reel? In a word, yes. However, the Extremes my son a I use have given us two (so far) good years without so much a drop of oil. It is extremely smooth and a pleasure to use. You can buy a Curado or three Extremes.

Harpo

If you're just getting started with baitcasters.....

You'll find it much easier to learn and perfect their use if you have consistancy in the reels you're using.

Ya know, why make the setup match the style??? When I smallie fished in rivers, I never considered anything but spinning gear. I was throwing through bushes, around trees, over rocks, behind boulders, etc.. Could I have thrown a baitcaster....yes......but why would I, spinning gear was a right "fit" for the job. Now assuming you will be fishing from a boat and will have the ability to properly cast, a baitcaster will work fine but then you say you want to throw light lures........you better have a good baitcaster or practice alot because you are just asking for trouble. As a rule, baitcasters work better with a little weight. Put some wind in the mix and it won't be worth it. I know some guys just refuse to throw spinning gear but realisticly, they are a must. I can throw ANYTHING on spinning gear but there are some things I can not or will not throw on a baitcaster....Senko's being one such bait....dropshot rigs are another. I'm never ashamed to pull out the spinning gear when I start throwing the little stuff. The only problem with spinning and heavier applications, is that they do not like the heavier lines. It is the way the line feeds off the spool, baitcasters are better.

TOXIC

I've had 3 of the Extreme combo's for over a year now. I like them. I do not own a Curado - as yet.

The one thing I find this spring, is that the drag seems to be a little sticky - getting started. I now make sure that I test the drag, before starting my routine. Other than that, they are worth the money I spent, and have made me more proficient.

Now, if I can manage to actually get a bonus one of these years, I may try a Curado.

Another note. I decided that I wanted to stick with one brand (it was either 2 Curado combo's, or 3 Extreme combo's), when I purchased. What I didn't want to happen, is that I needed to fish one way/style with one baitcaster, and then pick up a different one and have to adjust.

Tex

I have 4 Extreme combo's, haven't had a problem with any of them yet, and I have two of them on Woo Daves rods, one on a Rick Clunn crankbait rod, and one on a Bionic Blade.

I've had no problems with any of these. I really can't think of anything bad to say about the Extremes. If money is no object, Shimano IS the best out there (in my opinion), but in my case, (not a pro, and don't fish tournaments) I'd rather save the money to use for other things. Just my 2 cents...... egmike

I have three seasons on 5 Extreme reels and they are still going without a hiccup.

If you can afford it go with the Shimano Curado 200 series. I have one of the Extremes and it sits in my garage gathering dust. I used to use it all the time until my wife bought me my first Curado 101. I now have 4 additional 201's and for our anniversary last week the Missus bought me a Castaic baitcaster. Gotta love her. I too agree with Toxic. If you are going to throw some light-weight lures then you need to stick with spinning reels. Maybe you should put your money into a good spinning reel like a Shimano Stradic. I really don't work for Shimano or get anything from them but they make a quality product that you hear (or have) having complaints.

Good luck.

I own six extreme reels, the oldest is jan 2000. I fish about fifty trips each year and clean them the beginning of each season (use the quantum hot sauce oil). They cast as good as when they were new and the drag systems have had no problems. There is one exception to this though, the reel I used in salt water for a week and apparently didn't get a good rinse on it one of the days. I had to replace a few pieces and the main bearing on the spool is a little rough, but I haven't seen to many freshwater reels that can stand up to saltwater without a thoruogh rinsing after each trip.

My experience with bps reels in general has not been a very good one, if you search I

I totally agree with Toxic. I use spinning rod/reels for all light lure/light line and baitcasters for heavy lure/heavy line presentations. I throw Senkos with a spinning rod/reel too.

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back