Boyesen Reeds

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Greco

Reaction score
I'm thinking about possibly upgrading my reeds to Boyesen. Will this make a difference on my 75? Is it worth the money? I know my boat isn't a rocket but it seems like a easy hp add on. Does anyone know how much it would cost for the part and installation? Any info. is appreciated.

Question from the non-Motorhead section - What are Reeds and what do they do?

TrepMan

TrepMan -- Here is Boyesen's definition of what they are and how they operate:

Reeds are one-way valves controlling the amount of air/fuel mixture entering the crankcase of your outboard engine, then sealing it in to prevent it from escaping. Every two-cycle outboard has them. But the stock reeds in your outboard have a single-stage design that limits their efficiency. That's why stock outboards often cough and sputter at idle, fail to deliver a good hole shot, feel boggy or lifeless under throttle application, burn too much fuel or lack top-end punch. Plus, standard reeds are made of metal. Should one break, it could cause extensive damage to your outboard.

Boyesen Power Reeds are different...and better! They feature a patented dual-stage design allowing our reeds to respond instantly to any change in air/fuel flow as you accelerate or back off the throttle. The result? A dramatic increase in efficiency and performance across the entire power band, from start-up to flat out!

Michael -

Reeds do the same thing in 2-stroke engines that the valves do in your car's 4-stroke.

Al -

I've played around with reeds on motorcycles and found that they, like most performance upgrades, do NOT give the kind of end result that advertisements would lead you to believe. Especially on a small displacement outboard, save your bux for something else BIGGER and fa-a-a-a-aster!

Happy New Year All!

me!

Uh, Michael...... Just in case you aren't familiar with valves...... That means that they form one-way doors to let the fuel/air mixture into the cylinders and let the exhaust gases out.

me!

About 10 years ago I installed a set of Boyesen 2 stage reeds on my Yamaha 200 (on a Ranger 393). The installation was fairly simple, just a little time consumming (lots of screws). While I didn't see any gain in top end performance, I did notice a much better mid-range throttle response and a smoother idle. Back then, if I remember right, they were about $200. Like Scott said, on the 75 I don't think you'll notice much difference. Better to put that money toward a good prop.

Russ

Al and Scott - Thanks for the lesson, I had a vague idea about valves but that clarified it.

TrepMan

As stated above. the only real gains you'll recieve from fiber reeds will be the midrange and idle quality, also if you should happen to cough up a reed, the engine has a much easier time digesting a fiber reed then a stock steel reed.

Hm-m-m....... "Cough up"......... Maybe Hartz Mountain could develope a hairball remedy for 2-strokes.......

OK! OK! I know it's pretty poor....... But you should know by now - that's just the way my warped mind works!

:^)

me!

i've installed a lot of reeds on dirt dikes over the years and unless yours don't seat well i wouldn't bother. if you do use fiber reeds you should check them every few months of use. i havent messed with outboards much. to me anything other than stock on an outboard(other than prop) is kind of scary. thanks. stan

Thanks for the information....I think I will opt for a SS prop instead.

Latest posts

Back