Bow mounted fish finder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
All,

A little advice, if you please. I will be installing a bow mounted fishfinder (BottomLine 1100 - cheapo unit to keep me on ledges and weed edges) on my Pro Angler 16. I looked at the Eagle post in the grab bag, and it gave me some help, but here is the problem. The only electrical sources I have in the bow are the trolling motor, and the light socket. I don't want to connect power to the trolling motor because of extra drain on the battery and possible interference, and if I connect to the light socket, I have to have the console light switch on. Would it be best to run the wires all the way back to the battery for a direct connect, or to the console and hook up to the junction?

Thanks in advance,

Rich D

i ran the exira wires for the finder.run at least 14 ga wire and fuse it at the fuse panel under the console.

If your bow light doesn't have the extra hot wire. then I would run a new wire from the battery to the unit. but just the hot wire. Use the ground from the light socket.

John

No need to run both back, just the hot wire and use the ground with the light. I see from your boat specs you don't have the Tilt switch I used.

I understand not wanting to run to the Trolling Motor for interference and/or trolling battery drain. I ran my old boat to the Trolling motor and if I put the motor on more than low speed I lost the screen on the fish finder.

Take some Pic's if you can so we've got another Grab Bag to cover this angle too.

TrepMan

Most depthfinders use less that 1/2 amp and #18 wire is more than adequate. It is best to use twisted pair to reduce the possibility of interference.

Russ

Not being much of an electrician I wired my bow mounted sonar to the bow courtesy light. It's the type of light that tilts to activate. I would accidentally bump it sometimes and leave it on so I decided to disconnect it and use the existing wires for the sonar. I've used it this way for 2 years and has worked well for me. I also have another sanar at the helm and both units are wired to the cranking battery. I have not had any low battery situations even after all day fishing outings. Just my 2 cents, Good luck!

When I went looking at the bundle of wires under the trolling motor plug/mini console area in my Pro Team 175 to mount my fishfinder, I found an extra hot wire. The only thing that I could think that it was for was the power tilt switch (an option that I don't have) I just used that wire.

Latest posts

Back