BoatUS insurance.....NICE!! (For Tournament folks)

• Thread starter Bill McElroy [URL]http://www.boatus.com[/URL]
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
I just worked out a deal with BoatUS for my insurance coverage on my new boat. They'll be running "Scales and Tales cartoons" on both of their websites....."BoatUS and their new one geared towards fishermen..BoatUS/Angler. Anyway,...their rates are very competitive based on my coverage needs......here's the coolest part of all regarding their "quotes"..you do it all on line and the quote INCLUDES:

This quotation includes $5,000 coverage for Fishing Equipment. This is

in addition to any Personal Effects coverage you may choose to

purchase. It also provides Automatic Tournament Coverage, including

entry fee reimbursement, should a claim cause you to miss or withdraw

from a competition.

That is NICE!! If you're in need of a new or updated policy...check'em out!! NICE folks to deal with!!;)
http://www.boatus.com

Hey Mac:

Are you familiar with BoatUSAngler? The insurance that covers boats and trailers on the road or water? Seems like a good deal, but was wondering if they are pretty responsive. I've had experiences with AAA where they leave you for several hours before being able to dispatch someone - and that's if you get through their phone lines!

I have no idea Jim,...This is my first year with them....in all honesty,..I hope I never have to find out!!....LOL:p But,..based on the responsiveness of their emails back and forth and the snail mail customer service I've recv'd so far has been excellent,...I'm fired up about them!!....They have a lot of cool benefits that no other companies provide and especially so for the tournament crowd. With some other companies, when you mention "tournaments", they don't want anything to do with you,....or they give you outlandish quotes,..but BoatUS not only covers tournament anglers as part of their original quote, they will reimburse your entry fees if you have a claim that causes you to miss or withdraw a tournament!! That alone is worth the $20 membership fee!! PLUS,....their policies cover $5000 in equipment at no extra charge.......seriousley,..this is THE BEST tournament angler coverage out there!!

And this day and time, it don't take much at all to add up to that:eek:

OK I just sent in the info for a quote on BOATUS Insurance. I have gotten several quotes on my boat so far. So we'll see how they add up to progressive and USAA.

Note; What ever you do do not use American Family Insurance ! They do not like to pay on claims and will screw you in a flash.. This is a well known throw out the insurance industry.

Mark

Nice deal, Mac!

Just switched my two boats to BoatUS last week. Saved a ton of money versus the homeowner/auto plan we had them tacked onto.

The only thing BoatUS is not competitive on is jetskis. I think they know better than the home and car insurance firms how most accidents happen on the water...

OK, the other post got me to thinking (bad thing I know) about my policy.

I have a stated value policy for the boat trailer, and if they are totaled, that is what I will be paid.

BUT, it seems that if just the trailer is totaled, they only pay market value minus depreciation.....same thing if just the boat is totaled.

Let's say for instance, that my boat is worth 25,000, and my trailer is worth 2500 right now, both brand new.

2 yrs from now, someone destroys my trailer while I am fishing. They will take the 2500 for the trailer new, depreciate it 500, and pay me that number minus my deductible of let's say another 500. I only get paid 1500 for the trailer, and now I don't have enough money to get a new trailer, cuz they cost 2500.

Or the boat gets totaled and not the trailer, they then take the 25,000 for the boat, and lop off 2 yrs of depreciation @ 5,000, and then my 500 deductible, so that I only get 19,500 for the boat. Again, not enough to buy a new one @ 25,000.

So it seems to me the only way to get the stated value on the policy with my current company, is if both the trailer AND the boat get totalled at the same time.

Again, talking to the agent, if they are both totalled, I get paid 27,500. If just the trailer is totaled, I get fair market value (new - depreciation-deductible), and if just the boat is totalled, I again get fair market value (again, new-depreciation-deductible).

That sounds like a sneaky way to not pay the full value, as the odds are pretty good that one or the other will get totalled, not both.

It's also got me thinking I need to switch to another company, one that gives a stated value for both the trailer and the boat individually.

BTW, the company I am currently with is Progressive, so you may want to call and talk to your agent if you use them as well.

Tox,...BoatUS is based in VA...I'm pretty sure they DO write quotes in their home state!:rolleyes:

You can get fair market value, replacement cost or actual cash value insurance from different carriers.

You do have to ask some questions and read a little to make sure you are paying for what you want.

ALSO make sure you compare apples to apples when quoting insurance companies. Wont do any good to compare a replacement quote to fair market value.....

I know for a fact they write in Virginia as I just got a policy from them for my new boat. I like the BoatUS insurance because it has fuel/oil spillage coverage built in - something that could be a real issue these days if your boat were to really get in trouble somewhere, or even sink.

With the talk about IF it gets totaled, look at one that gives you an agreed upon value. Mine does that for the motor, boat, trailer, and accessories all seperately.

Gross - I would check about USAA and Progressive, a couple years ago USAA had all their watercraft insurance through Progressive. I have my house and vehicle through USAA, but went through someone else for my boat.

Kudos on the deal-e-o Mac Daddy!! Let's hope they're smart enough to know how lucky they are.

Dan,..this post was started almost a year ago!! LOL....That deal was for my 2007 boat which I sold last fall....I'm boatless this year, and I don't have anything worked out with BoatUS for this year,.....no reason to with no boat on order,.....but could work out a cash deal if they want to keep running S&T in their mags and on their website. Been too busy with BPS functions to give it much thought. I did receive my "renewel" notice from them lastnight in the mail tho......time to contact them!! LOL

Hope all is well in GA!!

Mac

Wy dont you cover my insurance and you can use the boat whenever I am not.... :)

Latest posts

Back