boat weight

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lon Weekly

Reaction score
In my relentless pursuit of keeping Tracker marine in business, I'm looking to buy another boat. I recently downsized my tow vehicle from Merc Mountaineer to Honda CRV. I'm looking at a boat that says package weight approx. 1550#. My tow limit on the CRV is 1500#. What is included in the Tracker estimates of package weight? Tank of gas? Gear? Batteries?

I'm sure I'll put brakes on the trailer but don't know if I'd be legal.

The boat is a 2005 PT175.

Thanks all. It'll be good to be back in a Tracker.

Lon

So.

Someone will have a more accurate answer but I can tell you that the listed package weights do not include anything extra including fuel, gear or anthing else you might put in the boat. I'm not even sure it includes batteries. Just make sure your starting # is "Package weight" not hull weight. The package weight will include motor and trailer. The best method I've ever seen is to take the tow vehicle to a scale, weigh it, then hook up the boat fully loaded and with fuel, then weigh the whole shebang. That will give you an actual weight

TOXIC

If that's the case, I'm in bad shape. Even the new little Pro160 has a package weight of 1284 or so. By the time I added gas, batteries, 300# of lures(LOL), etc. I'd always end up over the 1500# limit.

Can't change vehicles, I just bought it.

Lon,

According to the Tracker site the PT 175 (package weight) is 1,618 lbs. This includes boat with 25 hp EL 4 stroke engine and trailer. This does not include additional equipment or fuel.

My daughter has a new CRV and I would think twice about pulling such a package with it. You easilly would get close to 2000 lbs. with added equipment and fuel.

Perhaps an answer would be to pick up an older 'beater vehicle', a cheapy, strictly for boat towing? At least check with your auto dealer about any upgrades to your CRV such as Tranny cooler, air shocks etc. to beef it up. And, I would think trailer brakes would be a must too.

Hope this helps?

Is that capacity with a "bumper" hitch or an aftermarket Class III hitch?

Pondscum, that 1500# is what the vehicle can do regardless of hitch type. Were talking about a 4 cyl mini suv that is based on a small car. Id bet the motor would struggle with more weight then that and the brakes most likley arent up to par to stop it with a load.

I think Firedog has the best suggestion. You should be able to find a Chevy s10 or ford ranger from the late 90's early 2000's for cheap money. Either of those trucks with the big v6 (4.3l for GM and 4.0l for ford) would pull the boat you are looking at with ease.

I had a 2000 175 with a 40 merc, never had it on scales, but like above with gas and gear would figure it was about 2000lbs, and remember the max tow rating on the vehicle is with like 1 or 2 people and no extra gear in the vehicle, so if you add 2 people, and their gear, your tow rating drops further.

I'd say to stay under 1500lbs and be safe you could use a 16ft boat with maybe a 40 merc, but it would have not be a full decking type boat, as the floors/wood, carpet... all add to the weight.

Sorry Lon, keep looking man!

Thanks Jim B.. I;m too used to plain old ordinary 2wd or 4wd pickum ups. I know they brag on these newer DOHC 4 Cyl a lot but pulling a ton is surely asking a lot of em. Agreed! I was just thinking back to the last vehicle I had that had a "bumper hitch" rated at 1500 but true capacity was 3500 with an appropriate hookup. I wouldnt pull anything with a "bumper"

Lon, the actual Tracker package weight is based on boat, trailer, motor, battery, full tank of gas and a 5-10% adder for gear. This has been confirmed by the engineers doing the calculations. Hope this helps. You should be ok with that Pro 16.

Hope this helps.

Wasn't his original question about the PT 175? Then he mentioned that the weight of the Pro 160 is still 1284.

If the CRV is rated @ 1500 towing pounds even the 160 will come dangerously close when loaded with fishing gear. I'd be concerned about brakes the tow vehicle would go through and the control for quick stopping. As well as, tranny and cooling system overheat. Not to mention pulling the boat from a steep ramp or up a fairly steep long hill.

Seems like the added expense to beef up the CRV and/or getting the second choice boat instead of what he wants would be best spent on an old vehicle to just pull the boat. Proper variances and peace of mind for what would likely be under a $1,000.00 (JMHO).

Firedog, you are correct on the initial inquiry. My primary point was how the weights are calculated. The PT 175 will require a larger tow vehicle. There are no exceptions or modifications that I saw mentioned on the CRV website that would lead one to believe that modifications would increase the towing rating above 1500 lbs. For those who want a boat that can be pulled by cars rated for 1500 lbs, that was one consideration in the design of the Pro 16.

I have a 2004 tracker pro Crappie with a 50hp and I tow it with a 2008 CRV and it does fine but I dont drive over 65mph while towing it, will tow at 60 or 65 with ease,but I wouldnt feel comfortable driving it much more than that.

Rayman

Latest posts

Back