Boat Storage Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I put my boat/trailer up on jack stands in my garage, but I can't lower the motor far enough to drain water out of the hub without the skeg resting on the concrete. I need to have the motor vertical in order to use my workbench.

I raised the boat a few more inches and put 2x4 blocks between the jack stand and the trailer, and then lowered the motor until the skeg touched a small block of wood. Then I took the batteries out and stored them inside the house where it's warm.

Will I damage the skeg by having it rest on that block of wood? My father-in-law thinks its will. Any expert opinions?

Mark

As long as it's just resting on it, you have nothing to worry about.

You won't damage anything as long as the skeg is NOT supporting the weight of the boat and motor, which it doesn't sound like it is,.....if it is, then I'd raise the boat a little more and take all the weight off the skeg....then you'll be fine!!

Like Mac said, as long as it's not supporting the boat you're fine. Actually, you're doing your trim/tilt a favor as it can take a rest from having to hold that motor up!

Place a lime on the block of wood (have a cold Corona on standby), then slowly lower the engine until it just slices through the lime and barely touches the wood. Squeeze the lime into the Corona while sitting in the boat and daydreaming.

Dude,...that's an AWESOME idea!!....sometimes your brilliance is borderline "genius!!"

Mac,

It's a burden I must live with...but I suffer for the betterment of fishermen and mankind in general.

As a wise old Indian friend once told me:

"Neeley, if you knew half as much as everyone thought you did, you'd be twice as smart as you probably are...now pass me another Corona"

Well,...accd'g to TC,...I do know everything,.....so pass ME another one!!..ahahah

LOL....naw......they don't call him "Bogart" because he's a movie fan!!!..LOLOLOL

Why don't we all go to Ken's store and have BPS sweep? Just like the supermarket sweep on TV. Wonder how much we could get in 3 minutes? Those stores are pretty big...probably could get lost till Spring...any takers?

AHHH grand puba of butt-holes, you are infinately wise beyond your years. Go forth and may the lime be with you!

Mac, what is the meaning of life?

The true meaning of "life" is 50,000 BPS reward points, a nice C&L, a plate of wings, a sparkly boat and a note on the table from the wife saying,..."Bye Honey,..the kids and I are going upnorth for the weekend,....have fun fishing!!"

That, my friends,...is living life to it's fullest!!! LOL

Thanks, TEE. You're right, I probably don't need to put it up on the stands, but I couldn't tuck the motor in low enough to drain the water out without the stands. I didn't want frozen water to do any damage and ruin our trout trip. That happened on our '76 Mercury 25 one year when the temperature was seven below zero.

Will radials help cure the flat spots?

Mo, run some RV thru it, and fugitaboudit! AND AND AND change your lower unit lube!

Latest posts

Back