Boat operation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 99 Nitro NX882 with a 150hp Mercury. This is my first boat and I have never operated one before. Does anyone have any tips or pointers for my first time out? I dont want to look too much like a newbie and I definately dont want to damage anything. Thanks in advance.

If you haven't yet, take a safe boating class (you may also save on insurance for taking it. I have BoatUS insurance and we get a discount because both hubby and I took the class), you can take it online, but you'll learn a lot about rules of the waterways, safe boating etc. Ask your dealer a lot of questions on the operation of the boat if you are unsure of its operation.

Most of all, don't be in a hurry. When you are first starting out, let yourself get completely comfortable with the boat and how it moves. Don't be in a hurry to take off at top speed.

Hawk, if you are a newbie it's o.k. to look like one. Take it slow, and Tam has good advise. Take someone along that has experience to help you. That is too much boat for anyone who doesn't have experience. You don't want to hurt yourself or someone else. If it swims like a fish, smells like a fish, it's a fish. Please forget the newbie thing, there's a whole lot of experienced boaters that wish they would have done some things different. Good luck to you, be safe.

Bubby

Don't forget to put the drain plug in. I leave mine in my trucks console along with the boat key so I have to see it when I get the key. First thing I do before backing in.Keep an extra one also.

Make sure that your motor is tilted up when backing the boat down the ramp and when pulling it out so there is no chance of it hitting bottom.

Periodically run the bilge pump when on the water to pump the water out.

Also, it is a good idea to learn to drive your boat at slower speeds first (30 - 45 mph). I had to do this with my Z7 for the break-in period for the motor. When you start running at 55-60 mph with the motor trimmed out, you have to be extra careful looking out for boat wakes. If you hit a good size boat wake at the wrong angle with the motor trimmed out, you are going to go "air born". You need to keep an eye out for boat wakes, and trim the motor down when you cross them so more of the hull is in the water.

Mike

Remember to have your boat ready to launch before going on the launch ramp.

+1 on having your boat ready to launch. I can't stand people who stop on the ramp to get their boat ready. Wake boarders are notorious for this. And they walk their boats on trailer with a rope?????. Takes forever!!

When you take off make sure the motor is trimed down. Start triming the motor up a little at a time until you are you start o feel uncomfortable with the way the boat handles.

Trim the motor down before you come off plain this will help with the boat porpoise . Given this time you will be able t

Just my 2 cents...when you get to the ramp, pull over somewhere and let your bearings cool down before getting them wet. Hot bearings and cold water create a vacuum sucking that water right into them. I always bring a grease gun and fill them with grease (Buddy Bearings have a zerk fitting) so less water will penetrate into the bearings. You can use this time to check the bilge for gas fumes before starting your engine. Since the fumes from gas are heavier than air, they'll settle in the lowest part of the bilge and could cause an explosion. It's a good idea to unplug the trailer lights too. And leave the winch strap secured while backing down the ramp until you're ready to float or drive it off the trailer. A handy tip for backing up is to put a piece of tape on the bottom of your steering wheel at the 6:00 o'clock position and turn your steering wheel so the tape moves in the same direction that you want the trailer to move.

First off is to check that water is coming out of the engine so it is getting cooled properly. Second most important thing is to have all lines, dock lines, anchor lines, etc. so they cannot reach the prop.

I check for any wind or current that will affect the boat as it comes off the trailer. If it is going to get moved to one side I want to be on the opposite side of the dock if that is possible so the boat is moved against it and not away from it.

Above all do not rush. With other people wanting to go in or take a boat out of the water there is pressure to move fast and that is when mistakes are made and people can get injured.

If you put everything in the boat before backing down the ramp, and have the dock lines in place, it will be faster and simpler.

Latest posts

Back