Boat Leaning

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD...

Reaction score
Is there a way to stop my 2007 nitro 482 from leaning?

You probably have to much weight on one side. Move your batteries, an anchor or something else heavy to the other side of the boat to balance things out.

I have a 2006 482 that leans. I have done a few things, adjusted the trim tab, checked for leaks and water log, added a hydrofoil, None of this helped with the leaning issue but the boat gets on plane faster with the hydrofoil. when i can get it on plane and usually it will not stay on plane. . I drive the boat at about 18 or 19 MPH with no issues at 20 it will begin to lean, most of the time to the right but sometimes to the left. May i ask Is this boat new to you or have you owned it for a while. Can you get the boat on plane. Which motor is on your boat. Did it start leaning recently or has this been a problem since you purchased this boat?

I have a 2006 482 that leans. I have done a few things, adjusted the trim tab, checked for leaks and water log, added a hydrofoil, None of this helped with the leaning issue but the boat gets on plane faster with the hydrofoil. when i can get it on plane and usually it will not stay on plane. . I drive the boat at about 18 or 19 MPH with no issues at 20 it will begin to lean, most of the time to the right but sometimes to the left. May i ask Is this boat new to you or have you owned it for a while. Can you get the boat on plane. Which motor is on your boat. Did it start leaning recently or has this been a problem since you purchased this boat?
Thanks for your response. The boat is new to me. I have a damaged skeg and I haven it in the shop being repaired. I don't know if that will help 🤞. Sometimes it leans to the right and sometimes to the left. Sometimes when it planes its OK and other times no.. I thought I would ask the Nitro veterans for input.

Couple of things to check. Do you know if the boat has been re-powered? Just for fun, measure from the mounting plate to each side of the boat. Is the motor centered on the transom? Does it set level in the water while not under power? Do you have a livewell on one side of the boat? Is it overfilling. What is the battery arrangement, are they all on one side of the transom?

Thanks Tom for your questions and feedback I will check.

Our 189 sport leans occasionally... usually in wind. But I have noticed it's worse with a 2nd trolling motor battery or if we have more than 2 people in it and isn't centered. Mine is also pretty rough in choppy water.

I wonder if the trim tab is adjusted right on the lower unit, it is a zinc bolted on just above the prop. If you have ever re-propped the motor or if it's damaged or worn it may cause such issues.

The trim tab your speaking of does not cause the boat to lean, it offsets the prop thrust. In other words you adjust it to offset the thrust for the torque of the prop. Your boat should track straight with you hands off the wheel if it is adjusted correctly. If it makes a hard right or left turn when you let go of the wheel, it is not set in the proper position.

Latest posts

Back