Boat Insurance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Who do ya'll use for your boat insurance? I've currently got State Farm but I was told that they have a fine line about tournament fishing. The boat wont be covered if its being used to make money (Guiding....etc). They said tournament fishing can fall into this category because I'm fishing for money.

I've checked out BoatUS because a friend of mine referred them to me. They seem good but are expensive.

I also tried to get a quote from Progressive but it wouldnt send me a quote when I put that the boat would not be used for pleasure and would be in tournaments. I guess they have the same policy as State Farm that they wont cover it if its used as an "occupation" or w/e.

Thats cracks me up with progressive. In thier ads they use tournament fisherman, who they portray as using thier insurance. But yet wont actually insure one real world.

I use Travellers insurance co. They are sponsoring the FLW/TBF and gave me a great rate and really good coverage. The liability on mine is way more then i need and it covers the boat, trailer and stuff in it and is a full replacement policy. They cover my truck too and have for years. There is no language on my mine in regards to tournaments. I know they write the policy differenty if i were to guide but will still write one from what my agent told me.

Travelers just really started doing bass boats when they started working with the FLW/TBF. Before them i used anglers advantage, they had a decent rate and decent coverage.

Jim

How expensive is insurance that includes replacement cost? Progressive won't even go there.

fatrap

I have Foremost also, they specialize in recreation vehicles. I had the motorcycle and boat with them. When I get another bike in a couple of weeks I will have it with them also.

I use anglers advantage, and have replacement and recreational/small money tournament coverage. Thay have another levels for guides and pro fisherman I beleive.

Fatrap im paying somewhere around 250 a year for it. I have mine insured for $24k in the event of a total loss. My boat is worth nowhere near that now at 6 years old but if i were to total it it would have paid for a new 882 just like mine last year( woulnt cover the 591 but close enough)

I'm with Brian...if you don't tell em', they won't know....period. Even if you was a guide, they do pleasure fish once in awhile.

Before "fibbing" to your insurance company consider this possible scenario. You are guiding a client, something goes wrong, your boat is damaged, and your client is hurt. Now what?

Travelers mmmmh. My boat is a 93 I doubt that replacement cost would be much. Gotta look into that.

Fatrap

Allstate. More than anything (name, price, etc....) my AGENT makes all the difference in the world. Mine is Steve Hirsh in Virginia Beach Virginia. I trust his judgement, his advice, and feel confident that he will not steer me wrong. I've been with him since 1994, if that says anything.

All the best,

Glenn

Try Anglers Advantage

http://www.anglerschannel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=anglers.anglersadvantageins

They like tournament fishermen... Seems they think we are safer and more reliable

BJ,

Got mine with Allstate. VERY reasonable ($160 annual full coverage). My agent is aware that I fish some local tourneys but never even asked how it would be used. In fact, my agent's husband is a tourney fisherman.

Best of luck to ya....DH

Latest posts

Back