Boat Insurance - Any Recommendations?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJohn

Reaction score
Just ordered a 2019 Pro Guide V-16 SC and upgraded to the 90 horse Merc. Needing to get it insured. If anyone has any recommendations on good companies to go with I'd greatly appreciate it. Getting quotes from my current home and auto insurance company today. Just looking at all options. Thanks in advance y'all.

You will likely find that what you are doing will work best. You should get a little better rate with a company affiliated with your other insurances.

Just an FYI on your new engine warranty. Be sure you notice that the Mercury Gold plan warranty, normally sold in new boat deals, does not cover electrical components. The Platinum warranty DOES cover electrical components. Once you are on the backside of the new boat/engine warranty you may want to consider paying the cost to move to the Platinum coverage with Mercury. During the first year, on my 2017 Mercury 150, the alternator failed and had to be replaced. It was covered under the new purchase warranty but that occurance prompted me to go back and upgrade so that I could extend coverage on all components out to 5 years.

You will likely find that what you are doing will work best. You should get a little better rate with a company affiliated with your other insurances.

Just an FYI on your new engine warranty. Be sure you notice that the Mercury Gold plan warranty, normally sold in new boat deals, does not cover electrical components. The Platinum warranty DOES cover electrical components. Once you are on the backside of the new boat/engine warranty you may want to consider paying the cost to move to the Platinum coverage with Mercury. During the first year, on my 2017 Mercury 150, the alternator failed and had to be replaced. It was covered under the new purchase warranty but that occurance prompted me to go back and upgrade so that I could extend coverage on all components out to 5 years.

Hey Larry,

I really appreciate the reply and info sir. Interesting you mention the extended warranty coverage. When I picked up my boat the sales lady at Cabelas offered the extended warranty coverage and talked about the Gold and Platinum options. I almost never buy extended warranties of any kind on anything however not having owned a boat in years, much less a 4 stroke, I did go with the Platinum option. Seemed like a good deal for $165.00. From the sounds of it, that was a good move.

BigJohn, I agree with you about not having warranties on everything- but yes, upgrading for $165 adding the electrical component coverage is absolutely a great deal in my opinion. Outboard repair parts and labor can be costly- piece of mind on these things is worth a few dollars for sure.

When I bought my 2015 Tracker Pro Guide V-175 Combo I went with Progressive Insurance. Not all Insurance companies even carry boat insurance. They have great coverage for boats purchased new. It has complete purchase price replacement of your boat, even if you tear out the down unit racing across the lake. The policy also covers a host of other items I’d never even considered, like tow service off the lake. I’ve used that service & had a claim from damaged caused by a dock. When I first got the coverage it was all I had with Progressive, this past year I moved my cars & home over to them. That saved me an additional $1100 on my annual premium.

My boat coverage is through Progressive. They are a good company. A friend of mind lost his boat to an unusual electrical fire just last week. Though to be caused by the troll motor being accidentally turned on while on the deck. His Tracker 17 literally burned up out in his driveway overnight, before a planned morning fishing trip- including all his tackle and rods. Progressive was very proactive and processed his claim quickly with no issues. For those who might question- fraud was not suspect in this case. The Aluminum hull boat burned out so fully that the engine actually fell off the back onto the driveway. I had never seen anything like it......

When I bought my 2015 Tracker Pro Guide V-175 Combo I went with Progressive Insurance. Not all Insurance companies even carry boat insurance. They have great coverage for boats purchased new. It has complete purchase price replacement of your boat, even if you tear out the down unit racing across the lake. The policy also covers a host of other items I’d never even considered, like tow service off the lake. I’ve used that service & had a claim from damaged caused by a dock. When I first got the coverage it was all I had with Progressive, this past year I moved my cars & home over to them. That saved me an additional $1100 on my annual premium.
Finnman55, I appreciate the info here as I also ended going with Progressive. I contacted my USAA rep who I have my vehicles and home with and apparently they don't offer boat insurance but have partnered with Progressive to cover boats. I opted for their purchased price coverage and also selected the additional outboard coverage as well. I think it was around $36 bucks for the year for that option on my 90H. Seemed pretty cheap considering the coverage. As always I'm concerned about insurance companies disputing claims so its great to hear you had no trouble there.

My boat coverage is through Progressive. They are a good company. A friend of mind lost his boat to an unusual electrical fire just last week. Though to be caused by the troll motor being accidentally turned on while on the deck. His Tracker 17 literally burned up out in his driveway overnight, before a planned morning fishing trip- including all his tackle and rods. Progressive was very proactive and processed his claim quickly with no issues. For those who might question- fraud was not suspect in this case. The Aluminum hull boat burned out so fully that the engine actually fell
off the back onto the driveway. I had never seen anything like it......
Hey Larry, Just replied to Finnman55 comment on the subject and although I hate to hear about your friends situation, your post definitely makes me feel even better for having gone with Progressive now!

This fire I mentioned earlier, started at 2:00a.m. and burned out at about 5:30 according to the video footage, just before my buddy came out to set the trailer on the truck.
This late model 17' Tracker Aluminum boat had a cloth dust cover on it. The fire started at the very front from a smoldering spot under the cover at the Troll motor plug area and slowly burned back, there was a large fireball developed when the fuel cell ruptured from the heat. 60HP Mercury in on the driveway behind the boat not visiable in this picture. It appeared that somehow the troll motor, on low and blocked from turning overheated something that ignited a small flame. Ive never seen anything like this in my like. I have known of troll motors being ruined by being on deck and left on to run accidentally. Stuff happens I guess. Fortunately, the boat had been moved the night before from under the garage on the house. There was melted Sofet on the house and a warped tail light cover on the truck.
I suppose that it is good to consider that this kind of stuff, though very rare, can happen to any of us. Anyway, thanks to Progressive, my buddy is the proud owner of a new Aluminum 20' bay boat.

Burned Tracker Aluminum Boat.jpg

Latest posts

Back