I have a 2009 Tournament V-18 (aluminum) and when my charger is plugged in, and I am barefoot and lean slowly up against the side or gunwale to bare skin , I get a tingling shock kinda like a 9 volt would do. I have spent hours and even replaced my 2012 Minn Kota Precision Charger with the same 2019 version. It’s plugged into a GFCi plug, and I also tried other plugs in garage. I know all boats are different so it’s hard for someone to give me advice on this, but what I really want to know is what this current will do to the boat if left as is ?
I’ll Definitely check my wall outlet for the neutral and hot wired wrong. The weird part is when my (2) trolling batteries in parallel, which are joined to the cranking battery by a negative to negative, it makes the shock even worse. When I do not connect the trolling batteries to the cranking battery or the negative bus bar, the shock is still there but much less.
Not Really.....I just left the negative cable joining the 2 trolling batteries to the crank battery off and went straight to negative bus bar. Also disconnected crank battery negative from neg bus bar. I have the 2 trolling batteries hooked to the Minn Kota charger 24/7, and no shock. I have a separate little Noco Genius charger for the crank battery, but when I charge it, the shock returns, so i really don’t need to charge it often or use it since the motor keeps it charged.
I just need to get out there one day with a multimeter and a 12pk and figure out where the hell the bad ground is. I even put a switch on the trolling lead so no power was going to anything once the Perko was switched to OFF.
The Noco Bad? May be internal on it. The cranking battery is the only one that is grounded to the boat. The trolling motor batteries are not grounded to anything but the trolling motor. Try a different charger on it. Just a portable charger.