Boat Garage Suggestions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Stinson

Reaction score
I'm getting some quotes for a garage to hold my boat (present and future) and fishing tackle (wife says it has to come out of the dining room). Other than long depth and walk around width are there any suggestions you have (or things you wish you had done) for a boat garage?

Thanks.

A TV for wintertime fishing shows, and most importantly a stocked and heated pool just in front of the boat so you can "fish" all winter long!

honestly, I would say just get the usuall stuff, storage, hooks for the wall ect.

--Corey

1. Put in a floor drain

2. Cover walls with waterproof material (so you can powerwash in it)

4. Adequate heat/air/ventelation

5. Non-skid floor

6. Plenty of power outlets

7. Compressed air

8. Big lights

9. Good tunes!!

And leave room for my boat.

TOXIC

Might suggest a large aquarium, and a casting deck. (of course, if you could figure out a way to "push" the boat up to the aquarium, it could double for the deck).

Should have atleast 10' cielings.

Have to have a way to practice flipping/pitching during the "off" season.

Build it bigger that you could possibly ever think that it needed to be cause you will grow into it later.

Bob G.

MAKE SURE YOUR DOOR IS WIDE ENOUGH! I built my house and then bought the boat, I had a 3rd car garage put on the house, and it was 1/2 inch too narrow because of the brick face!!!!!!!!

Might be worth putting a 8' wide door on...

A beam overhead strong enough to attach a come-along to for lifting the motor.

Paint fish on the floor,and trees on the wall for the winter months.

Dont forget to add a loft with sleeping quarters for overnight fishing guests, or if you spend too muchg time on the lake and your wife wont let you kick her boyfriend out of your bed...lol

EAT, SLEEP, FISH!

Mini

If you have the room ckeck out a pole barn. My be bilgger for the price and Mini is correct.

make sure it has heat and power. workbench and a fridge for some cold ones. i love garages. build one as big as you can with plenty of room for storage and to perform repairs as needed.

jd

A couple of ideas from along the way... If you have the room a second garage door so you can drive through.... (gotta have the yard space) or at least a small garage door at the back so you can push the boat out a little and fire it up with the muffs on it... An electric outlet right overhead in the boat... mins is on a "drop" in a retractable reel... and is a trouble light... very handy. On the wall side closest to the boat... enough room to have a "closet" with doors that open or (as is my friends) sliding doors but deep enough to hang rainsuits, etc.. and still have room between the boat and the closets... Radiant heat panels overhead... (any other permanent heat should be vented to avoid the condensation moisture/rust issue.

I've seen garages with skylights and you can't believe how much more light you get than with bulbs. Also in Alabama you might think about a good air conditioner. Oh yeah! Don't forget SOUNDS.

Harpo

You could build it for my boat...

Make it big enough for mine also...Depending on the rules and regs if any for your location? You can get more space for the same dollar for a pole barn vs a garage. In MD the diff in price comes from the fact that the pole barn does not need a foundation?? The money saved there can either be used to increase size or luxuries?? Insulate well and a window A/C unit will keep you cool on those hot Ala days and a Small wood stove would keep you warm on the 4 or 5 days it does get cold..

OOOPPPSS that is my dream not yours..

Build whats best for you and remember there is no such thing as to big a garage,,

BF

Not sure about AL, but here on the east coast of FL, a garage or yard barn have to be hurricane proof, by law. We have to have a foundation it sucks.

Out of curiosity, are pole barns sturdy? Hurricane proof?

Great thread. It'll take a while to separate the wheat from the chaff. Thanks for the input.

OK, I'm starting a seperate post about a "dream shop/garage"! Let's build the perfect garage!

Steve, I just had a Morton Building built. 30x45. I'm very satisified with the quality of the building. A picture of it is in my library. They even have a manufacturing plant in AL

Latest posts

Back