Boat cover support frame

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
Been thinking about this since a snow load last year put a heavy strain on my cover last winter. I have the center support pole, but see it as too flimsy. I've tinkered with the idea of building a support "frame" using probably 1" pvc. I figure it would be bendable so as to form 2-3 (maybe 4) arches over the boat (side-to-side) with length-wise straight supports, and it would have pvc tee's/elbows to connect it all together. It would also be removable, with clearance around windshields, etc. I can't fit my boat in the garage, so this is my solution. Sound like a crazy project to you guys? :wacko:

Your idea is a great one and utilized by many. For my 22' pontoon boat I built a frame out of 2" PVC pipe because I felt the 1" would have had too much flex and spent $75 on materials. I drilled a small hole and used 1/2" screws to secure each connection. I have seen guys use glue and they ended up with a mess that they could not easily take apart in the spring. I numbered the poles from the from to back so that I could put it back together the next year.

I pay to have the Ranger shrink wrapped because the tarp rubbs on the glass and I don't want any rub marks.

Good luck

Cass

Greg, My Uncle was a Mississippi river rat for five decades. He never could fit that industrial size jon boat in his garage. He mad a top out of plywood standing on four by fours and just backed the rig under it. As the post weren't achnored in the dirt he could move it when he had too. It's an idea.

fatrap

Greg - your idea is not a bad one at all! Necessity is the mother of invention, afterall. Your idea sounds workable to build a frame. As far as supports over the boat, have you given thought to wood? There are actually products out there that provide support for boat covers made of wood slats. I use a set on my plastic jon boat. The wood is held in place by chromed holders mounted permanently into the sides. The wood fits into the slots created by the holders. Because the wood slats are slight longer than the width of the boat, they bend up like a bow to create an arch. The key is to make sure you have enough slats over the boat along the entire length to ensure you don't leave a "sag" spot where water or snow can accumulate and drag the cover down. For example, my boat takes four slats over just 12 feet. But it works! I can post some pictures of my set up if it would help you to visualize.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Thanks for the input guys :) . I've seen the kit with the wooden slats that fit into chromed holders, but really don't want to drill/mount holders on the boat, but I did think about it seriously. Drive-under wooden cover is a good idea also. What I'm thinking of will come off in one piece, and when not in use will easily lay up against the back of the house. Maybe I'll try to sketch some drawings, scan them, and post them on the site.

To further elaborate on my plan, when I got home from work today I made a couple of (very rough) drawings on the computer Paint program. Bear with me on the artistic quality and size :wacko:

boat%20canopy%20frame1.jpg

boat%20canopy2a.jpg

I like it alot, may even try something like that myself. One question though, why arch the frame? Wouldn't it be easier for a triangle like frame? Just my thoughts

That's a good point about the triangle shape, but I was thinking about the right-angles of the pvc tee's/elbows, which I figure will result in a slight bow once they're tied-in (glued) into the top ridge couplings/tee's. The hard part I'm thinking about is clearance on the outside of the windshield, so I figure a large radius (bow) make do the trick. :wacko:

I use to air pillows (made for locking freight in place) one in the front one in the back. Works good for me.

BF

J.D.,

What I'm hoping to do is to do some vertical measurements (I'll be under the cover as it's normally rigged now), then (you'll think I'm crazy) use a garden hose bent in an arch at the various locations to figure the rough length of each cross piece. It'll take my wife helping me on that part. Then I'll figure-in the correct length to include the tee's, etc. At least that's my plan, lol.

Just built one for my 17' last weekend. Less than $15 for everything. 1" PVC. Made it stand 2" higher than the windshield, then tapers down to just above the seat heigth on the rear deck. One beam down the middle with T-feet on the bottom.

I use some plastic poles with mushroom tops on them that I bought at Academy for not much money. I leave the post seat in and then use the two mushroom poles, one in the middle and one in the back. It tents the cover up for the rain to run off perfectly.

Harpo

Another idea, With my Tracker I left the seal pedestals in and ran a rope from front to back over the pedestals, worked great on that boat.

BF

Latest posts

Back