boat cleaner?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark barton

Reaction score
I know I have seen this before on the previous site, but I am having difficulty finding it. What does everyone use for getting water lines off? Star-brite sticks out in my mind for some reason. I already use BBS after every use, just looking for something to do a good cleaning of the hull. Oh yea, it is fiberglass hull. Thanks!

Star brite hull cleaner is great stuff to remove the scum line from any boat that sits in the water. You can try it and see what it gets you.

Personally on my boat i do something different. My boat sits onthe trailer and occasionally i do get a water line that wont just rub off when a rag(normally when i have not waxed the boat enough). To clean that up i use a little dab of soft scrub and rub it gently, takes the scum right off and then i can wak the boat and prevent it from happening again for a really long time.

Just be careful, soft scrub is actually an abrasive (think mild rubbing compound) and I wouldn't make a habit out of using it all the time. Most all of the hull cleaners are mildly caustic and I would for sure re-wax after using them and cover your trailer as well. it will damage the paint. What I do to make sure I don't damage anything is to use a good cleaner wax. I have Atwood right now and most of the scum wipes right off. If it wont, I re-apply the cleaner wax and it works well. The key is to get the scum line off as soon as possible. I use Bass Boat Saver with good results, Lucas Slick Mist will also clean off a scum line if there is a good coating of wax under it and I use 303 for seats and tires. That's my system and it works pretty well. Just got off Lake Anna's hot side and the algae was pretty thick. Cleaned the rig at the ramp and everything wiped off with the Lucas.

IMG-20130908-00228.jpg

When I trailered for a distance, I would always add clean water to the live well before getting to the ramp, once on the trailer and batten down for traveling I would take a clean rag and use the live well water to wipe down before leaving the marina. This helped when I returned home and did a good wipe down. Got that a lot of stuff before it got hard.

cq

I have a spray bottle of 409. It cuts the scumline off and a lot of other crud. When I had my Nitro I'd use a medium leveler from a auto detailers shop and go over the boat with a dual action(DA) buffer once or twice a year. After the 409 I'd use a spray detailer. I actually do the same thing with my Tuna Scowl and it looks brite and clean. Half the battle is not letting the scum build up in the first place.
fatrap

Latest posts

Back