Boarding Ladder for my Bass Boat., Please Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2001 Bass Tracker PT175XT "special Edition", I would really like to have a ladder for reboarding the boat. I have been wanting to jump in and go swimming and I would really like to know what can be done, for a safe ladder. Weight capacity higher the better i guess for safety reasons.

Any one know of how I can do this correctly? any specific ladder? any of you actually have one on your boat that you installed or got installed? Thanks alot all, I appreciate it alot.

-Jason

Jason - That one Harpo linked you to is perfect. I had Tracker install one in 2000 when I bought my 175, it worked GREAT for myself, my wife and the kids to easily get on/off the boat.

Trep

Jason, I installed the very ladder that Harpo referenced on my old 2003 P/T 185. Nothing to it. Just drill nice straight holes and use a good sealent. I used one of the 3M marine sealents, just can't remember which one. I do remember that it took about 24 to 48 hours to fully cure.

Hope this helps,

Steve

I am also interested BUT, the BPS brand does not have good ratings at all.

Maybe just bigol'boy was a lil' too much?

Or maybe you guys are skinny?:lol:

Get a boarding ladder! Even if you do not intend to use it, get one.

Here's a long story short. My 2001 175 Sport (fish and ski) came with one. Although I do not swim often, it came in handy just a few weeks ago. I was alone (as I often am), fishing about 8 AM. Went to set a hook and had the rod & reel pulled right out of my hands. Yea, I know......... Well, I was in about 15 feet of water and lunged for the rod as it sank. I got it and put it in the boat. I was dressed in gym shoes, socks, long jeans and a t-shirt. I managed to grab a handle on the port beam at the front casting platform and got 1 leg up over the beam. That was it. I couldn't pull myself up any further. I had to swim to the back and drop the boarding ladder to get in.

Now if it had been early spring or late fall, the water temp could have played a very devastating role in this. Or if I had hit the water funny or bumped my head who knows? The bottom line is, I needed that boarding ladder either way. Please have one and be safe.

Here's a pic of the ladder that I had installed on my old PT175. Held up my old weight of 215+ pounds no problem (including when I used it to get on the boat while it was sitting on the trailer!

DSCN1034A.jpg

I appreciate all your responses. I have a few questions,

Af far as installation goes, Did you use screws or nuts and bolts (go-thru)? Also what is a reliable sealent? Also I am about 6'1 220lbs would this ladder be suffice? also, I cannto see that picture and i really want to lol. can you make it so that picture works? Thanks again all.

does the ladder have 4 points of screws or 2? Thanks

Also, that ladder does have bad reviews, should I stay away? dam this is tough. I did see one from a company called garelick or something, it looks nice but hard to come by. I am on vacation for the next week and a half and would love to have something to use so I can take the girlfriend swimming.

What is a rope ladder and does it work. Thanks

-Jason

Whatever you decide, the two words that I find most important regarding the subject and your transom is "through-bolt". Anything else is prone to break free with age. (Lags) The weight on and off will eventually "wiggle" the lag bolts, and can allow water intrusion into the transom. (Very bad.) Drill the hole just a hair larger than the bolts and seal through and both sides, washering (1"-1 1/2" fender washer) the nut and bolt heads. I use Zep and Permatex in clear RTV blends for Marine application sealant. Just about any hardware dept./auto parts shop will have the Permatex. Good luck!

Jim - I'm almost brought to tears in that picture, as you know my old PC175 looked almost identical to yours from the back, except I didn't have the trailer mounted light/guide posts.

I'm with Dan and Steve, and of course jim, on through bolt, 3M marine sealant, let it cure and off you go.

Tee - You just gotta lay off the fried foods and good beer!!! LOL

Dang... I'm in Bangalore India for 3 more days, and do NOT want to go fishing around here!!! LOL

Jason - A rope ladder does work, but its a lot harder. On my Nitro 700lx I went with a portable ladder, I keep it in the bildge and use it with the kids (but its is NOT as sturdy as the one Jim shows above that myself, Jim and Harpo used, as Dan N. broke it and he's heavier them me (well any male over the age of 13 is heavier then me... see Mo I beat you too it!!! LOL), but i'd go the way Jim/Myself/Harpo told ya, you can't go wrong. Just one tip.... make sure you put the ladder UP before you pull anchor and WOT, otherwise it wii BOUNCE up and scare the poop out of you!!! LOL

Trep

Trep makes good points (as to others) and I'll just add that if you don't like the BPS ladder, check out a similar version off of www.iboats.com. There are several (link below). Mine was the Garelick brand installed by my dealer (Mare of Aquia). There are four mounting points/screw in junctions at each of the ladder points where it mounts to the transom.

I would also recommend use of through bolts, washers, and nylon insert lock nuts or lock washers. If you can't access the transom from the inside, you could use lag screws, but either way, make sure to use a marine epoxy or other sealant around the screw/bolt and the mounting plates of the ladder itself - enough so you see it oozing out around the mounting plate. As I noted above, I could climb on mine dry docked and it held without any issues for all four of the years I had it installed before it went to its next owner.

Jim

ps: Trep - you may have almost had tears in your eyes, but you should have seen my 6 year old son's reaction when he realized the boat was gone! He REALLY cried!! Fortunately, he likes the G3 pretty well - especially the speed. Don't know where he learned it, but he loves to say "let it rip!" when we get past the no wake zone at the lake.
http://www.iboats.com/Folding_Boat_...ategory--session_id.208341778--view_id.236406

Thanks a ton all. I went on another PC and got that picture. That is EXACTLY what I wanted as it is my boat for sure.

I have been searching for days online for a picture of a basstracker with a laddder and just could not find one, so thanks for that.

I will more than likely just buy the bass pro folding ladder just like the one in the picture as it is in stock and seems to fit very nicely.

So any more advise and or tips on installation is for sure welcome as I am pretty nervous to start putting holes in my boat. Thanks again all, will check back soon.

-Jason

I'm 6'2" and weighed 250 at the time I owned the the P/T 185. The ladder worked fine for me and never gave any problems. I could see where the springs "could" be a weak link, but mine held up. I figured that if they ever weakend, I would just bungee the ladder up. Off topic; I've since lost 30 lbsand feel 100% better:cool:.

I used thru that hull bolts, nuts and large washers.

Steve

Steve,

Were you able to use the thru hull bolts on ALL 4 points of contact? Thanks

If I am not able to use the thru hull what size screws or whatever should I use? and what size were your thru-hull bolts? Thank alot

-Jason

Jason, Yes, I used the thru hull bolts at all four points. If I remember correctly, the bottom washers closest to the center of the boat were a little tight but they fit. I put my ladder on the passenger side.

I wouldn't use screws or lags if I were you. I used the bolts and nylon lock nuts that came with the ladder. I went to Lowe's and bought some larger stainless washers, but I don't remember the size and I have since sold the boat. The 3M sealant is a must.

Hey Trep (youskinnykenney)...I'm only at 170lbs. !

I switched back to LITE BEER!:lol:

I looked at the BPS brand last time I was there and think it would handle me or the wife fine so that's all that matters. Looks like a winter update project...I have a few.

Tee - Lite Beer - EWWWW!!!!! LOL

I am SO ready to move back to the states, its not FUNNY! I'm in Bangalore they are still searching for potential un-exploded bombs, and reports of a potential attack in Delhi... Heading back to Shanghai tomorrow nite.

I gotta weigh myself back home, I had lost 20lbs due to the tumor/surgery last summer, I might be back to 135lbs if i'm lucky!!! LOL

Trep

Latest posts

Back