Black Powder Revolver

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a black powder revolver, not for hunting but just to shoot. I have read many articles on inexpensive to high dollar, brass and steel, being a beginner I am leaning toward an inexpensive steel for my first one.
Now you can beat me up.

cq

My wife's brother-n-law has one. It's a revolver. He uses it for small game and for plinking. He loves it.
Barry from La.

When I worked for BAss Pro we had CVA pistol kits. They contained a revolver and most the equipment to shoot it. Sans powder and caps. Pretty inexpensive. Brass Frames. You can step up to Some custom Army/Navy revolvers but for a lot more money. They don't require a permit to aquire or carry to buy. No 4473 form or NCIS check either.

fatrap

cq,
In a blackpowder revolver, like most everything else, you get what you pay for. The inexpensive kits work, but the lock up and function aren't nearly as smooth as the higher dollar models. I've taken apart a few and cleaned them for others who were having difficulty getting them to cycle properly. Even spotless, with very few shots through them, they still weren't very smooth.

If I were going to get one, I'd probably look at the Uberti's over the Traditions / Pietta brands of revolvers. Uberti seems to get higher reviews, although I'd still want to handle one prior to buying. 1858 Remington is the model I'm most interested in ($320 - $460 price range at Midway, depending on the model, and I'm leaning towards the baseline model for $320)

However, I've also been intrigued lately to try the single shot CVA Optima V2 in .50 cal. It's on sale right now at Cabelas for $270. Traditions also makes one called the Vortek for about $300 on sale at Cabelas, but I've got experience with a CVA Optima rifle that I really enjoyed, so I'm leaning towards that one between those two.

All the best,
Glenn

This is where I get confused, from the Firing Line forms:
"CVA was an importer not a manufacturer. Look under the loading lever and it should have the makers name or at least a logo. if it was made before 2000 it's most likely ASM(Armi san Marco)and will be dubious quality. After 2000 they were made by Pietta. Check the date code to see when it was made. There will be Roman numerals or two letters in a box on the right side of the frame. "

A lot of companies are importers vice manufacturers, even though they "consider" themselves to be manufacturers, and even may advertise as such. CVA is owned by BPI Outdoors, which used to be known as Blackpowder Products, Inc. They had a LOT of issues quite a few years back, with a huge recall of muzzleloaders in 1997, covering pretty much all of their inline muzzleloading rifles made in 1995 / 1996. Google Chuck Hawks site / Randy Wakeman's comments and commentary on the CVA brand. Better yet, just start here and do further searches if you feel the need for more info (this link contains a lot of the more important items):

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_tragedy.htm

I've seen the same thing regarding CVA / Pietta. Comments on the 1851 Navy previously sold by Midway noted that it was a Pietta, and I've seen others noting Armi san Marco in Italy was stamped on the firearm.

Important to note here... CVA no longer sells black powder revolvers. They only carry the single shot now.

The biggest thing to remember is that the black-powder firearm world isn't regulated like the modern firearm world. I'm extremely careful and conservative with how I load a modern inline, and I avoid shooting used (and un-researched) or unfamiliar muzzleloaders at all costs because of recalls that people didn't follow or weren't aware of (like the CVA one I mentioned above). People have died because of it. I'm torn between the "Cool! No form 4473 required!", and the "Is this safe?" factors.

All of CVA's guns are "designed and assembled" in Bergara, Spain. Notice I didn't write "manufactured". They don't say or write it either (check their website). That could mean that the guns are designed there, parts built elsewhere by someone else, and then assembled in Bergara. I know they all use Bergara barrels now, which I've had a love / hate relationship with over the years. The Bergara barrel on my CVA Optima was a shooting machine - very accurate, well built, well finished. The modern Bergara centerfire barrels I've come across for the T/C Encore have mostly been less than perfect (unfortunately - like many of T/C's own offerings), but people such as Mike Bellm "fix" them and sell a much better product.

All the best,
Glenn

I really appreciate all the input here and from some of my unbiased friends, I am going to go steel and try for the best at the lower price. There are some sellers around and I have haggled a couple of times, with the ammo that I have received both here and off line I think I can talk a little talk. We will see, plus I am in no hurry.

cq

Some of the black powder revolvers have aftermarket cylinders that will shoot metallic cartridges, such as 44's can have a 45 Colt cylinder. I believe that you need a 4470 form for those. I have heard varying stories as to how well they work. Just a thought.
fatrap

Fatrap,
I looked at those as well (Howell's Old West Conversions), as I shoot .45 LC as well. The conversion cylinders don't require an FFL. You can just order them online. But they are designed only for use with black powder or black powder equivalent loaded cartridges (Cowboy Action), not the standard .45LC. You also can only use them in a steel frame revolver (no brass) and have to use lead bullets. Most are made for Pietta's. So basically, you're stuck reloading black powder cartridge ammo too if you are doing the conversion. At a cost of about $270 on the low end, on top of the pistol cost, and then add in reloading material costs, I'd rather just go ahead and buy a .45 LC pistol in something like a Ruger Vaquero and shoot modern ammo out of it. I'm sure there are others that enjoy using the conversion as well. I just think it takes the blackpowder fun out of blackpowder shooting when you start using cartridge ammo.
All the best,
Glenn

I want the spark and smoke. My gun guru thinks I should use smokeless in the rifle, but he has finally given up on me. I need to go look at the .50 cal CVA.

cq

cq, I've had two Pietta 1858 Remingtons. The first was a brass frame, bought used. Good shooter, never had any problems with it. Had a chance to economically trade up to a steel frame, Pietta-made 1858 during one of Cabela's clearance sales. That was an outstanding pistol. Great fit, finish and function. Had it for a number of years, enjoyed it very much. I shot it exclusively with Pyrodex. Enjoyed casting projectiles for it, too. Recently sold it off to free up some room and cash for my next shooting interest.

Black powder revolver shooting requires meticulous attention to cleaning after a shooting session. Lots of nooks and crannies that MUST be cleaned to avoid rust.

There are some gun shows coming up, search, look and make low ball offers. Should be fun to hold, inspect and compare. Good thing I bribed the Doc's for driving privileges, they didn't really say I could drive, but I explained about our end of deer season fish fry and quote "Go and drink beer" unquote.

cq

Latest posts

Back