Bimini Top For Tracker PT185

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Ingram

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to put a bimini top on a tracker pt185? Mine is a 2002 model. My kids need some shade in the summer. If not, what are some of your tricks for getting shade on the boat? I was thinking of maybe a large golf umbrella and some pvc piping screwed to one of the rod locker boxes or something.

Does anyone have any pics or suggestions for getting some shade on the boat? I know that bass trackers don't really lend themselves to fitting a bimini on and I have never seen one that had one so I wanted to see what some of you guys might have thought up.

Thanks in advance.

I want one...just can't bring myself to spend that kinda $ at the moment.

Have you checked the prices?:wacko:

I had an umbrella that lasted about one season:huh:

i know they cost of good bit of $ but if it would fit and i could stand up while under it, i'd get one. problem is, i don't know if it would fit a shallow hulled bass boat.

i'm leaning toward some kinda big beach umbrella but gotta find a way to anchor it.

open for suggestions. i'm not very mechanically inclined

Frank, Go to the member link on top of this page, login and select the state of GA. Look for Richard Lane and select it and then his library link. I made one based on these same(3)pics located in Richard's library. It is just 1 1/2" PVC pipe & fittings and it fits over the seat post. Make sure, if you make this that the upright pipe is far enough away from the back rest of the seat so you can rotate it to any position. Used a golf umbrella with a handle that would fit inside the pipe . Drilled hole(s)in the pipe and one hole in the umbrella handle. You can pin it with a bolt and nut or some sort of pin and clip available at most hardware stores. Carl

I have a bimini top on my Pro Angler. You can check out pics in my library.

thanks a bunch for the ideas guys. i'm not as concerned about getting shade on the front and back pedestal seats as i am for the main "lower" compartment area where my younger son and daughter spend most of their time.

when i fish, i usually troll the channels for perch or crappies and just drift and use my minn kota remote to control the boat where i want it to go. i like the bimini top idea for keeping the kids in the shade. but, the golf umbrella with the pvc fittings looks interesting as well.

my main concern with the bimini is how for back it would lay. would it get in the way of the rigging at the back of the boat? i'll keep looking at the pics and see what i can come up with.

thanks again guys. those are some really good ideas.

A friend has a Pro Crappie 175. He had the dealer install a Bimini that works very well. When it is laid flat, it does take up a lot of room, but no problems with the cables, motor, etc. Limited room to cast when it is up, but drifting should be no problem. The Pro Crappie is a deep boat, so no problems walking. I am not sure how far you would have to bend over with a bimini on a bass style deck to get back and forth on the boat.

Never seen a bimini on a Tracker? How's this? :D

DSCN1032.jpg

DSCN1034A.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

Tracker.jpg

Don't own the boat anymore, but the bimini, boot and support poles came from BPS. It was the Attwood model four-bow. It was BIG! Mounted to the horizontal carpeted surfaces near the throttle starboard side, and near the grab rail on the port side (didn't want to drill into the aluminum top! Front straps hooked nicely over the front of the cleats. Wife and son LOVED the shade!

Hello, I also installed a top on my pt 175. I did not want to drill the cap so I made a bracket for the port side. It lies nicely at the end of the rear deck. but not useable for a fisherman in the back.(Pics.in my library)

thanks a bunch for the pics jim c. that is exactly what i want to do. i have tapped the rails on my boat to put t-bar rod holders so drilling into the aluminum won't be a problem for me :) did the boat trailer down the road ok with the top up like that or did you have to lay it flat to go down the road? also, how easy was it to remove completely from the clips if you were out and didn't want it up?

thanks for the great replies guys. you have given me excellent ideas.

Actually, my rig towed great at 70mph + with the top folded, but propped up by the vertical support poles. Helps to have the bimini inside a canvas boot!

Frank - some suggestions based on my experience:

-- the vertical support poles are great for keeping the bimini out of the way when underway, but really interferes with backseat fishing.

-- I measured the bimini extra large to be able to stand up and go to the front deck without ducking. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't go near as high. The bimini should lay flat when folded against the back deck (like ewop's pics).

-- the front and rear cleats make perfect strap down points so no need to drill extra holes for clip points.

-- Atwood has GREAT customer support! I bent one of the roof poles on my bimini during installation (stupid of me - really!) and with one phone call to Attwood's customer service, they shipped me a new one free!

-- the bimini worked way better than an umbrella (lost a nice golf umbrella in Mattawoman creek!) or the sunshade (no center pole to get in the way.

-- go with the higher quality canvas. You won't regret it!

Let us know what you work out!

I wish i still had the pictures, but I installed one on my 2000 Pro Crappie 175, and everyone loved it! had the quick remove pins so when we were bass or striper fishing, it came off and stored in the garage in 2 mins, and kept everyone cool in the summer. I put a 3-bow Attwood bimini top, it was less then $100, and installed in about 30 mins or less. That and the flip up mounted ladder made my Pro Crappie a true all year fishing/swimming MACHINE!

Hot days like today (96 in the shade in HOTlanta) I would love my old boat back, drop anchor in a creek/pocket loaded with fish and drown some minnows, have a soda, and cool off and reel them in! You won't regret it!

Trep - Here you on the ladder! Installed another on my G3 too!! No Bimini yet.

Jim

Question,

What do you think about a peice of aluminum cut to fit between

seat and the pedestal mount that extends enough to the rear to weld

a pipe on.

Drill the pipe and unbrella for a pin for removing it.

Thought,s

The pipe idea would work fine,But you would have to stow it when moving,the bimini top stays in place at w.o.t. Mine is 44" above the gunnels which lets me when alone,cast with the top up. I am 5'7"and can stand up under it. It comes forward flush with the front of the console. Regardless of what type of cover you decide to go with there will be shortcomings,all types have negative points. You have to decide what is most important. my gives my wife shade while I fish. me shade when running across the water a nice place to eat a snack and cool off. hope this helps if needed you can call with questions rick 209 968 4372

Latest posts

Back