Bilge blower on 2005 Nitro 288 sport?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moneymatt100

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
My name is Matt, I'm pretty new to the forum and very new to boating/boat owning.
Anyways while doing some research on the main components of the boat, necessary parts, etc. I learned about the bilge blower that removes excess gas fumes from the bilge. There isn't any blower in my bilge, and although I don't have the owner's manual, it doesn't seem like there was any place for a bilge blower.
Should this be of any concern to me? does anyone have any more info on the topic?
Is the bilge blower used in later models due to safety concerns?
I would love to hear y'all's input, and if at all possible a link to a pdf of the owners manual for the 05' 288 nitro sport would be greatly appreciated! ( yes I say y'all pretty often, native Texan here)

Good Morning Matt,
Below you will find US Boat foundation has made an easy list of requirements of the Coast guard for boat operation. In the backwash area in front of your motor you should have a vent to the bilge, no powered ventilation is required as your fuel tank is vented and your engine is an outboard. Welcome aboard. Required Equipment : BoatUS Foundation

Ventilation (boats build after August 1, 1980)At least two ventilator ducts for the purpose of efficiently ventilating every closed compartment that contains a gasoline engine and every closed compartment containing a gasoline tank, except those having permanently installed tanks vented outside the boat and containing no unprotected electrical devices. Also, engine compartments containing a gasoline engine with a cranking motor must contain power-operated exhaust blowers controllable from the instrument panel.

I believe blowers are normally used on inboards, since the entire motor is located below deck. I know some of the more expensive boats, have a powered deck they actually raise to remove any fumes, before starting the motor / motors. On an outboard, as long as your deck vents are good, you should be fine. Since your new to boating, I would check your fuel and vent lines running from the tank. The gas line that runs from the tank to the outboard could cause fuel / fumes to build up under the deck, if it was dry-rotted, torn and loose on the tank. Its always a good idea to keep a check on that line

Hi. I’m new to the forum and just seeing this. I’m sure you’ve moved on with life by now but I thought I’d chime in anyway.

The answers above are correct. The “danger” requiring a blower/venting is associated with an enclosed fuel tank AND engine. Inboard and inboard/outboard style craft. Spark from the enclosed motor could ignite fumes.

So your outboard motor eliminates half the equation.

Enjoy. And great question. Better safe than blown up.

Latest posts

Back