BFL-Broken Bow

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
My dad and I fished the season opener for the Okie Division in the BFL series. It was held on Broken Bow lake. I was supposed to fish the tournament as a nonboater. When I called Friday morning my dad was in the tournament and I was on the waiting list. We drove down during the day Friday and arrived in Broken Bow at 4:00 so we had no time to put in or practice. At 5:00 I upgraded to boater so I could fish the tournament.

Tournament--We meet our partners for the day. My partner is from Tulsa Oklahoma. He was a little rough on the edges but other than that he was friendly and easy to get a long with. My dad is paired with a guy from Del City that has a 21 foot Skeeter and 225 Yammie...OOOOH he is looking forward to it. (he would be happy with a 17' Tracker with about a 40 horse...wait thats TIN...make it a 640 LX with 50 horse Merc...yeah thats better.)

Since I didn't get a chance to practice and my partner did I let him know that I am going to let him be in a little more control than other boaters allow their nonboaters. I pretty much just followed his lead all day the only thing is he just had to stay on the back deck. This was my first time on the lake and he had fished it the two days before. We fished and moved twice and got bit a couple of times but failed to get a keeper in the boat. My dad was the same. He didn't get bit at all but his boater did catch two and missed a check but a few ounces.

I am a little discouraged about this tournament because this is the fourth tournament in a row I have blanked. I ended the year in my local club on a hot streak but finishing 4th, then at the classic (the championship for the small club NOT the Bassmasters Classic...but i sure with it was!!!!)..blanked. I fished a small jackpot on Lake Hudson in Oklahoma..BLanked. Then I fished a Cabin Fever Tournament..blanked. then today I blanked. I am trying to put these behind me but It is like I have forgotten how to fish..I dont know what I am doing wrong. I don't want to sound like I am bragging but I know I have what it takes to compete with these guys...I just cant catch the fish....

Next BFL-Grand-March 22

BJ

Sorry it didn't go your way today BJ. That's why they call it fishing, (boy, is that phrase tired or what?)

I fished my first big tourney of the year today as well. Mine went pretty well, we placed 16th our of 122 boats and actually got a check.

It will turn around for you BJ. I can guarentee that. You're too good of a fisherman to let a little semi slump like this get in your way. Talk to you later. Josh

Sorry about your bad luck. I'm sure things will get better. I never have any luck this time of year. I read article and watch TV shows about winter fishing and those guys are hauling 'em in. Not me.

Broken Bow is one beautiful lake though huh? Andy and I camped there last spring. There must be a million coves. What part of the lake did you fish? Did you go up in the river?

Harpo

BJ -

I just want you to know that I am amazed by your ability at your age to take command of a situation when dealing with others such as you just described with your fishing partner!

You, Sir, are another Rich Stern!

(About as high a compliment as I can pay anyone.)

me!

Me!-thanks for the kind words. This may be a dum question but who is Rich Stern? I hear people talk about him. Didn't he create this site?

Soonerfan-Yes we fished up in the River for the whole day. Yes it is one VERY nice lake.

Josh-Congrats on your tournament!!!, email me the details!

BJ

BTW-My Nitro/Mercury rig performed flawlessly..thanks to all who helped with the problem i had last week. I never found the source..but did find some water around the fuses by the cranking battery so that may have had something to do with it.

BJ

BJ,

Rich Stern created this site and maintains it. Look at the name at the bottom of the NTOWS homepage.

Bob G.

Gee, I always thought he was the guy who invented the back of the boat.

Harpo

Harpo - LOL!!!!

BJ - Rich is a great guy, he happens to live about an hour from my place and unfortunetly we only seem to hook up maybe once a year. He has a wonderful wife Jeanne and a Son Zachary. He's on his 2nd Nitro. He created this site in April 2000 (I figured Rich was the first to post and his profile says his first post was "4/25/2000 12:05:48 AM") to learn and meet folks since he had just purchased his first bass boat - a late 90's (don't remember the year) 170 with a 75 Force I believe) I fished with Rich a few weeks later out of my then new 2000 Pro Crappie 175 and we've been friends since.

If you get a chance to meet him, he's one of the best!

Someday, BJ, if you're very lucky, you may get to know Rich..... I have been very fortunate to have done so..... And I'll just leave it at that for now.....

God Bless you and your Family, Rich!

me!

And Rich NEVER comes home empty-handed.....
Rich%20after%20minnows.jpg

me! Now where the HE&& did you take that??? was that on Hartwell the Sunday after I left??? What's he trying to get???

Here's one of Rich with a nice Rainbow trout from last summers' trip down the Hooch with me in the Tracker.
rich%20with%20trout.jpg

BJ - Email me re Grand. I fished a two-day Championship there last fall totally cold (no prefishing) and ended up missing a new boat by 1.57#. I've got a couple of ideas that have gotten me out of a slump more than once!!!

Latest posts

Back