Best topwater bait?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Durham

Reaction score
Ok all, what is your favorite topwater over cover and open water lure?:blink:

I know they are expensive, but i really like a Lucky Craft Sammy or a Lucky Craft G Splash. Both have very cool actions to them. I only have a couple of each, but they are really good topwaters.

Zara Spook and Puppy, Torpedo, PopR and Buzzbait

For heavy cover...I like frogs:)

Only on Dark Days....try Shad imitators in the mornings CJ...it works.

Used a Frog colored spook Saturday morning and nothing....went back to the Shad color and bam...three fish of the same bank again:D

Open water, buzz bait, white with a chartruese crawdad trailer!!! up near cover and structure any popR or sammy type bait.

Creek Chub plunker in open water...

Used to use Scum Frogs, but now I use3 Zoom Horny Toad over the slop...give 'em a try if you haven't already...the hook up percentage is better for me with the Toad's...

Any shade of green for both...

az

Open water - lucky craft sammy

cover- buzzbait

weeds- lunker city salad spoon.

Can someone tell me what I am having trouble with on the sammy? I just can't get what I think is a good presentation with it. I can walk various other lures, have good success with poppers. I thought maybe it was the flourocarbon after I thought about it so I went back to mono but still it don't seem like I am getting much out of it. What size line do most use for the sammy. What type of action are you getting from it? Walking? Spitting? Thanks Clark

Jeff is right about the times but a good spook man can bring then up all day Im not agood spook man but my partner is and he uses it allday

JD

Mac gave me a double-top-secret lure a few weeks ago that he has never used.....I've been using it in heavy cover and it is the sheot!!!

Have caught 3 over 4 lbs and 2 over 5lbs on the last 3 weeks with it!!!

Around timber or submerged weeds it's got to be a buzzbait. I swear by black. I also do better with the smaller ones partiulaly the little twin blade 1/4 and 3/8 oz from Hart. I also like Rapala Skitter Walk's, they walk the dog better than anything. Also, don't forget the old favorites, Arbogast Hula Popper and Jitterbugs. Jitterbugs after dark are dangerous to the bass population of a lake.;)

Harpo

It's a 7-1/2" BPS Sticko on a 4/0 wide gap Mustad with 30lb Power Pro...rig it Texas, throw it in the slop or lillies, let it drop into the holes and HANG ON!!!

I've caught a couple of nice ones on those Zoom Horney Toads but I can't seem to keep them from rolling over on their back. I guess as long as the fish don't mind I shouldn't either.

Harpo

Clark,

I can walk the dog with the sammy pretty good. I use 12# mono too. The one thing i have noticed is its much easier for me to do it with my 5'6" pistol grip then any other rod i own. Te short rod really helps.

X, I throw them mainly in the morning and night but i have had some overcast days where the smallies will hammer it all day.

devils horse the big blount ended one(f100} and horny toads some buzz baits

Watermelon Senko. It stays on top of the water for a split second before it starts to sink...

Latest posts

Back