Best Spinning Reel Under $100?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
My best reel is a Spirex. I need another back up. I want some opinions so I can bargain shop.

BPS has some excellent reels in that price range. Pro-qualifier and XPS series. Can't go wrong with those. They have a special going on right now. If you purchase a Pro-qualifier (baitcaster......you gotta learn sometime!!) You get a free IM8 graphite rod. $69.00 + tax.

TOXIC

For 85 bucks you can get a shimano symetre. its a darn nice reel for the money. If you can go over the $100 mark the stradic is a super reel that will last forever.

Pooh-Pooh on baitcasters! I want to spend my time fishin' not unfishin' line. I have an Abu bait caster and I hate it. I can cast it but every once in awhile I can the big hairball. Peeves me right off! I know "real" bass fisherman use bait casters....guess I am a wanna be. :)

You can still get the spinning versions. Little tip on learning to use a baitcaster, put on heavy line...20-25lb test, a lot of weight 1/2 to 3/4 and set the backlash or reel drag (not fish drag) very high. Get out there and throw your arm off. GRADUALLY back off the drag and lower the weights and you will have it down in no time.

TOXIC

I like the stradic/extreme combo, for around $140. When it comes to baitcasters, I think that the better the reel is the easier it is to learn. I agree with Toxic...practice, practice, practice. I have been in my drive way throwing a jig while I burn the burgers. LOL

Gene

AMEN!! to the Shimano Spirex if you like a "trigger" model; or the Shimano Sahara if you like an effective anti-reverse mechanism. I've got both and I absolutely love them. They're the only spinning reels I think I would every buy from now on.

Teri,

I like the Spirex model myself. I also learned to use a baitcaster for pitching jigs and now have two Shimano Curados. I still like the spinning combos for light line and/or light lures and use the baitcasters for T-rigs and jig/pig baits with heavier line.

A few weeks ago, I was fishing with Adam in Texas and didn't have my new BPS rod/reels yet. I fished two days with baitcasters exclusively. Had no choice but to get some good practice!! Lucky for me, they were all Shimano Curados. On the second day, I was struggling to get one set up while throwing a light crankbait. After I finally was gettting it, Adam brought to my attention that I was using a 7' heavy action flipping/pitching stick!! Definitely gotta match the rod/reel to the bait!

Just go with whatever works for you whether it's spinning, baitcaster or cane pole!!

Bob G.

I know Im going out on a limb here , but the quantum kenitics and catyst(sp) are sweat in my opinion, and yes I use them, I have the white bps reel ( cant remeber series, reminds me of last years stradic) and like it a bunch to after I got use to it not feeling physicaly like my quantums.

Teri,

Since you asked for a spinning reel for under 100bux look at the Johnny Morris reels (99.95 and on sale for 79.95) 10 bearings and look great too. I usually use Shimano and have broken almost everything in the product line. Quantum also, the closest to perfect was the Quantum EM7-4 (Energy Metal Series).

The new Shimanos are nice but EXTREMELY pricey, The JLM's are a great mix of performance and price (= value).

Good fishing and I hope to see you soon!

Mini

Mini,

Have to agree with you on the Quantum metal EM7-4, it's a sweet reel. Picked up 3 on sale at BPS 2 years ago..believe I paid 49.99 for em each, regularly 99. I wish they still made em...

Teri -

I'm with MOFish..... The Spirex or Sahara are absolutely The Best Bang for the Buck! If I'm going to use a spinning reel, they are what I grab - and I use a spinning reel regularly! (Shimano Curado 101's when I use a baitcaster.)

I did a survey here on the board about a year ago on what reels we all had..... About 60% were Shimano.

Don't pay any attention to all the "Real Fishermen use Baitcasters" stuff - that's just what testosterone does to a brain!

me!

Now Scott, you know better than that!! Baitcasters have their place and it is just a different technique. There are times when a spinning reel just will not do the job. Big fish require big equipment (of course you wouldn't know anything about that!! LOL). Usually better drag systems and allows the use of larger test line. Ever try spooling 12lb and up test on a spinning reel, talk about wind knots!! Think BIG my man and the big fish will come. Throw big baits on big equipment with high test and maybe, just maybe we can get you up to 3 inch fish. LOL Testosterone....argh....argh....argh.

TOXIC

For the record.....

First NTOWS Rally:

3" walleye on a 7" worm using a BPS Mega Plus baitcaster and 7' medium-heavy Bionic Blade.

Third NTOWS Rally:

2" bluegill on a 3/8 oz Strike King spinnerbait using a Shimano Curado 101 and 6'6" medium Extreme.

However.....

Using a baitcaster doesn't limit me to small fish.....

These flatheads were caught on goldfish using Abu Garcia Royal Express baitcasters on medium heavy rods.....

(argh! argh! argh!)
catfish.jpg

Teri,...get a JLM spinning reel from BPS,....hands down the BEST reel for the money, for under $100...all metal body w/10 bearings!! NOBODY (Shimano, Diawa, Quantum, etc..etc) can give you the same reel with the same components and features that compare to the Johnny Morris Signature Series Reels...NOOOOBODY!!!!

Mac

At Mac's request.....

Shimano Spirex 500

Shimano 5'6" light action rod

4# clear Stren

black woolly bugger
trout.jpg

Scott - So what's that flowthru baitbucked doing in the backgroung if your using your wollybuggers??? LOL!!

Mac, your picture with the two nice smallies is no longer valid, since you have crossed over to the very dark side called 'RangerLand'.

Fished out of a Ranger this past weekend. All I can say is, not all Ranger Drivers are the same. Says that this is his 4th Ranger. Still doesn't know how to drive one.

I got 'The Perfect Storm' picture first hand, coming back across Lake Marion in the afternoon. Bow up, then bow down. Wave up, then wave down. Tex is soaked, but driver is just fine behind 'his' console!

Tex

By the way, speaking about Spinning outfits. I bought a BPS spinning outfit last fall - not the JLM one though. While fishing this past Saturday, I felt/heard a thump down by my foot. Looked down and about 1 1/2 inches of the handle (butt end), had fallen off, exposing the shaft. Really strange, since it had not been subjected to any misuse at all. I'll be making a trip to BPS to exchange this one.

Tex

You're right Tex,....that's the last pix you'll ever see of me posted (by ME!!) on this site with a Nitro logo on...LOL...my new boat is 10days away, and after it get's here,...I'll load'er up and grab the camera and off we go to get some NEW promo shots,...with 2003 Super-Toad smallies!! ahhhhhh

Can't wait!!!! And yes,..the 520 will drive differently than the 901...it'll take some practice to learn it's "personality". I've got 3 friends who run 520's and they all offered to take me out and show me the tricks of the trade....but you're exactly right,...the driver can make all the difference in the world!!! I've had BAAAD rides in good boats,..and decent rides in rough riders,...it all depends on the driver's experience in adverse conditions!! I've speared waves in my Nitro before,..just ask Mini,...LOL...he took the brunt of BOTH of them!!...ahahahahah....

Mac

Scott, you must have dug out a really juicy bugger to catch that fish! LOL

A couple of years ago, when that picture was taken, you could use live bait on the "trophy trout" section of the Current River and I would alternate between live and artificial. These days, it is strictly artificial.

Teri -

Ask Trep, Carli and Mac..... I tie a mean woolly bugger! They're great on bass and bluegill, too! E-mail me your address and I'd be happy to send you some!

me!

[email protected]

It is for Nebraska. Born and pretty much raised there. Buzz too, and even a few more fans floating around on the site. I think Harpo is a big NU fan, LOL. My father lives in Omaha. Went to UNL. What's your connection to the lovely Cornhusker State?

TOXIC

Teri,

You might have to take a road trip to catch some smallies like those in the pics!!

Bob G.

I have a very large portion of my family in Lincoln, including my mom. She grew up there and moved back about 15 years ago. I visit Lincoln quite often. Big Husker fan!!

Bob,

I was looking in the Indiana fishing guide last night and very few of our lakes stock smallies. Up north and thats about it. One of the streams I go stream fishing in when it is too hot to fish on the lake has smallies. A friend of mine hooked probably 3-4lb small mouth last summer but snapped the line trying to lift it out of the water. Guess I'll have to stick to large mouth!

Count me in that list, Tox! Did you grow up in Omaha?

Against my will and to my definite benefit, my Dad sent me to college (Concordia U. - Seward) in "N" land and my roommate was from North Platte. He picked up some classes at UNL, and then his second degree from Creighton U. Trips into Lincoln and Omaha were regular events.

Lookit Mac, what a pro....NITRO hat, NITRO Jacket, butt seat turned around to show the NITRO lettering...Not another trademark in sight. I'll bet he's even got his NITRO thong on!! How much you wanna bet that photo went straight to his NITRO handler....LOL. I'm pretty good with photoshop Mac, maybe I can touch them up with Ranker, I mean Ranger.

And Teri you might want to wait until f-ball season gets into full swing before you admit you are a Husker fan. I took an awful lot of abuse last year. Of course now you can stick up for me!!

TOXIC

You got that right. We lost the real deal when Crouch left. Without the throw threat the run is impossible!! I'm usually back for at least a couple of games myself. I haven't picked which ones this year yet. I also go to some Wisconsin games. Yep MO Omaha will always be home

to me. I actually own my old house there (the one I grew up in). Might sell it this year though.

TOXIC

You haven't seen ANYTHING yet Tox!!!...Trust me when I tell you that!!!...ahhahahaha...."things will only get better!!"

Mac

GO BIG RED! Kind of like Arnold says........"They will be back"!

Scott,....you DO tie a mean fly buddy!!...Those boogers you sent me looked good enough to eat!!..LOLOL...(and i don't even fly fish!!...let alone eat boogers!!) So anybody on this board that ever doubts Scott's ability to fling a booger where the trout hang out,....don't do it!! He's got booger's that even "Walter" would jump on!! Thanks again...I have them in my "fly collection" down stairs in my "Testosteroom" where parties are held and lies abound!!!

Just ask Mini, Marke, Neeley, Craig or either of the Kathy's (my wife or Craig's!!)...they KNOW a lie when they hear one and WE know a good booger when we see one!! You rock Scott!!

Mac

I was going to post a pic of my big smallie from last year, but I can't compete with the "pro's" here. I decided to post my kids pics instead since they catch bigger bass than some members here who shall remain nameless!! First one is my daughter, the second one is my son. Fish were caught with Ugly-Stiks and Synergy spin-cast reels. They are upgrading to spinning combos this year.

Bob G.

P7190834D.JPG

Here is my son. They need to work on holding the fish at arm's length!!

Bob G.
P7190835D.jpg

OK I agree with Bob G (OUCH that hurts just TYPING it!!) here is one of Eli's fish!
Eli%20and%20bass.jpg

LOL, Tox!

Nice fish, Eli!

Just wanna weigh in quick on the spinning reel thing

I'm a Spirex guy, have maybe half dozen of 'em, from the 500 to the 4000, (favorite is the 2000fd)

Another "sleeper" for under $100 might be the Daiwa Laguna

don't know about long term reliability but after a couple month's use, but not heavy use, it still works,looks, like new, and it's smoooooth....... egMike

Eli, Nice fish!!

Toxic,

My son's hat has been autographed by:

Larry Nixon

Denny Brauer

David Fritts

Mark Davis

Danny Joe (Humphrey(sp))

Kevin VanDam

Shaw Grigsby

Rick Clunn

Met these guys at various events last year like Bass Master University, FLW weigh-in in Plattsburgh and the Great Outdoor Games at Lake Placid. My daughter has a fishing shirt with the same autographs, but she retired it after Rick Clunn signed it.

Bob G.

Well, I don't have any kids but I'll post pictures of my Jack Russells in their life jackets when they board the Banana Boat.

Nice looking fish for the kids. You guys must be teaching them something right!!!

Teri,

My daughter likes Jack Russells! She would probably like to see a pic of one in a life jacket!

Gonna try to get my kids on some 3 to 4 pound smallies this year. Oh yea, always use a net when landing a smallie cause they like to jump off right at the boat.

Bob G.

Larry,

I used to go to Maxinkuckee when I was a teenager. I haven't been back since. I will check it out this spring. Tried fishing for walleyes once and had no clue what I was doing (typical) but maybe I could land a smallie or two. Thanks for the tip!

Teri

Latest posts

Back