Best spinning and bait casting reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Did a search here but only found a few entries for 07. I read a bit on the BFHP but wanted to ask here.

I need to upgrade two of my reels, one Shimano Spirex and one Johnny Morris bait caster. I have a budget of $100-$150 each (hopefully closer to $100). I had an older Johnny Morris and loved it but it bit the dust (my fault). So, I bought a new Johnny Morris and I just don't like it. Probably operator error but I can't seem to find the sweet spot between all the adjustments, only throw a 1/2 oz Rat-l-Trap with this. Anything lighter I can't cast far or I nest it (I can hear it now....operator error...which I don't deny :D). I find the centrifical brake (the one with the pins) much better for me because I pull 2 of the pins out. On the magnetic, just don't seem to get the same between 1-10 if that makes any sense.

My spinning reel is a Quantum Energy PTi20 and my bait casters are the older Curado and a new Browning Midas (yes this has the magnetic brake but I have no issues dialing these in no matter what I am throwing).

So let's hear it....with the new stuff this year....what should I get?

Teri,

I'm VERY partial to Pflueger products - I absolutely love my new Summit baitcasters. I believe they are the smoothest that Pflueger has produced yet - just barely above your price range at $160, but well worth the money. Bass Pro has them here:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_85315_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1

For spinning, out of all the ones I've tried in Pfluegers line, I like the Medalist the best, with the President coming in a close second. The Medalist runs about $80, and the President is about $60. You can go to the higher priced version in the Supreme for $100, but I haven't had one in my hands long enough to make an informed recommendation on that one, so I'll have to stick with my original suggestion of the Medalist, as I have extensively used that reel. I use the 6030 and 6035 series, and prefer the 6035 for most of my bass fishing needs.

Here is the Medalist at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20333&id=0029732119153a&navCount=1&podId=0029732&parentId=cat20333&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true

And the President at Bass Pro Shops:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_51666_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

All the best,

Glenn

Shimano Stradic 2500 MGFA. This is the smoothest running spinning real I ever had. Even the bail closes with little effort regardless of it's position. This would be in the very high end of your price range. $135+.

I have a large number of Shimano spinning reels. I'm not a user of the high end baitcasters so I won't pretend to have much of a valued opinion, but for what it is worth I stick to Abu baitcasters and Daiwa and Okuma linecounters... try casting with one of those babies... You need polka music playing in the background if you try it!

I'm a firm believer in the Mitchell 3##XG reels @ $55; standard size I guess would be the 300XG, but I also fish with the smaller 308 and it works very well. Smooth as silk and has absolutely no problems bringing in fish. Although reading the post that says I'm not really catching fish on a M rod, I use a M rod [Bionic Blade].

You can also take a look at the U.S. Reel spinning reel; very nice with a larger diameter spool. This year's models are much better looking. Very smooth and they catch fish very nicely.

For baitcasters, I like my old Curados, my JM, and BP Extreme. Set at 3 magnets or dialed at 3 of 10. I have no problems casting a 1/32 weight with Chomper Twin Tail Skirted Grub. Anything less and I'm using the spinning reel.

Curado SFs (older version not the new ones) and Pflueger Presidents (Model 6730) as the others are too small or too large. With your money you could buy two Presidents!

I would echo the sentiments on the Pflueger President spinning reels. Its the only reel for which I have more than one! Smooth, castable and predictable. The only downside I've seen is that the handles tend to show corrosion pretty fast. Hasn't hurt their function in the least, but just a consideration. However, at $60 a pop, hard to beat. Sports Authority and Dick's have also been known to have a sale on them every now and then where they give you a reel and President rod combo for about $80.

As for baitcasters, I'm not a big user as others, but I like the old Curado's and have found the BPS Pro Qualifier to be a decent reel for the price - not as good as the old Curado's, but close.

What's the matter with your Spirex Teri?

I have one Okuma spinning reel and all the rest are Spirex....I beat the crap out of them too!.

They're tough and are VERY smooth running reels....and the price is right.

I bought the Okuma Epixor? last winter on sale...was $45 I think....it also is a very smooth runner....been happy with it....but it's regular price is certainly more than $45!

So if you're not happy with the Spirex, try out a few Okumas.....

az

Andy, nothing is wrong with my Spirex, although I ruined the other one in salt water. I get these certificates at work for job well done and I cash them in for Bass Pro gift cards. My Spirex will become a guest reel and I will upgrade. The only thing I don't like about it is once you close the bail, there is still a bit of play in it when you go to set the hook. Mine goes backwards a bit until it locks, does that make sense? I don't like that small shift. My Quantum reel doesn't do that. I have used Spirex for years because it has the trigger but I am now used to throwing the non trigger. I like my Quantum alot better than the Spirex.

Terri,

Depending upon your comfort level with a baitcasting reel, how about an Abu-Garcia Revo? I've got three of these reels and once I figured them out, I fell in love. Casting distance is phenomenal, even with 1/4 ounce lures. Also, if you like to burn that rat-l-trap, they make a 7:1 model. Finally, the drags are incredibly smooth - they blow the doors off of every other reel I've ever owned. My only complaint is that they don't make a 5:1 model for cranking applications.

They make an "S" model that retails for closer to $100. It has a six pin brake as opposed to magentic cast control and has eight bearings. I use the SX model, which retails for $150 and has magnetic control rather than the six pin brake, and has ten bearings rather than eight. They also make an "STX" model that retails for $199, but I haven't been able to figure out the big distinction between the SX and STX.

The reason I asked about your comfort level is just that these reels are VERY touchy until you get them set properly. But, if you are willing to play with them until you find the right settings, that's my vote.

Sean

Very "touchy" and Teri = Accident waiting to happen :D

Just as a side note. Got an email from BassPro on a 'fall fishing sale'. Looked at the Johnny Morris Spinning reel. Saw the 'reviews', and took a look. Three reviews were listed, all three were not very favorable.

Just simply an FYI. Glad to hear about the Pflueger products. Been hearing better things about them for the last 2-3 years. Highly favored by many in the SE.

Tex

Tex (and Teri) I have effectively traded out all my Quantums for the Presidents (now have 9 and all in the 6730 model). I won a new Kistler rod (consolation prize with FOM - what a consolation!!!!) so now I need the 10th President to add to the new rod (LOL). I mirror Jim C's comment about the handles. I spoke to a rep from Pflueger and he took an attitude and said if I wanted to pay $7.00 each he would send me new handles. The last three reels I bought have NOT shown any sign of corrosion so maybe they fixed the problem.

$100.00 = 2 reels not one. Gives you more to step on in the boat.

Teri,

I rarely promote specific brands and I'm not sponsered by anyone. I do have a wife that I've taught to use a baitcaster and she never nests them anymore. You are on the right track with getting the centrifugal brake system. With that and the spool tension knob you should be able to set any baitcaster for any bait. You have to fine tune for each weight of bait. So now I will recommend a specific brand. I am very impressed with the Shimano Citica 100B. The size is great for smaller hands and it is reasonably priced. My wife just got a new Crucial and I just ordered her a new custom MH rod. Both will get this reel on top. As for spinning reels. I will only buy one any more, Pflueger President in the 6730 and 6735 sizes. For the money you just can't beat them. My old favorite was the Shimano Sahara. These Presidents blow them away.

I fish with Diawa, Shimano, Abu, Pflueger, and Quantum reels but I don't think you can beat the Citica.......in your price range.

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back