Best SPINCAST (push button / closed face) reel?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've tried, and tried, and tried to get my wife to switch to a baitcaster. She won't do it - she likes spincast reels (push button or "closed faced" reels).

She liked the Daiwa GC80 and GC100's she used to have, but we sold those off a few years ago to try something new.... we shouldn't have done that. She hates the ones she owns now.

I also need a smaller spincast reel recommendation, as I'm trying to get my 5 year old to ditch the kiddie-combos (Spiderman, etc...), and move up to something stronger with a slightly longer rod (5'6" pistol grip probably)

So, anyone with experience with them? Abu-Garcia, Daiwa, Zebco, etc???

If you have experience, would you please quote the model number too?

Thanks!

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

Take a look at the Zebco 20/20. I have used these for my wife, and my two children with good success. It is not expensive and it is very durable. As a matter of fact my 29 year old daughter still prefers this reel over all others. Beck

I swear by the Daiwa for spincast. kids and wife cannot mess em up. I use a GC100 for food fishin. If you dont want to drop $50 on one (they went up this year), I have occassionally seen gently used ones on Ebay.

I got mine away from Spincast when I bought her a Shimano spinning reel with the Quickfire trigger. She used that for years and now is just starting to use a baitcaster.

Slowwly bring her into and she'll be more comfortable.

My wife is getting pretty good too;)

oops, rather than replying, i posted another post................:p

By the way. Stay with the GC (Gold Cast) models. I've seen another, older model I think they called Procast or something that has a plastic instead of cast body, but the "cap" is the same. easily mistaken for a GC model.

Cabellas also carries a Silvercast, I think exclusively. About half the price, likely half the quality.

I've seen advertised, and quickly ignored, other Daiwa closed face reels. GC is their top of this design.

Beck,

I'll look into that Zebco 20/20. That's one I haven't seen. I've picked up the Omega, and have used 33's, 202's 404's, etc... in past years.

Pondscum,

The Daiwa was at the top of the short list of ones she wanted. I just wanted to see if there was input for anything "better" since she last used her Daiwa's.

Tee,

She hates spinning reels. I've tried - trigger, no trigger, "underspin", etc... - she doesn't like them at all. She also can't stand a trigger rod - she wants pistol grip rods, or rods with very short handles. Picky, picky, picky...

Has anyone used Abu Garcia spincast reels recently? Particularly the one that is designed for superline?

I'm leaning towards the Gold Cast, but will check out the 20/20, and may end up buying one of the Abu's to check it out too.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - Check out Daiwa's Silvercast series of closed face spinning reels. They are very similar to the Goldcast series, less one pickup roller and that constant clicking! :lol: (silent AR) At about $25-$30 ea. retail, they are very nicely priced. My oldest boy has been using a couple for over a year (on sale for $20 ea.) and other than one respooling for fresh line, we haven't had an issue. Just as durable and sharing most parts with the Goldcast made it a winner for me. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back