Best line in freezing weather

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Lindley

Reaction score
OK, I know a lot of you guys live further north than I do (I'm in TN), so I want to draw from your experience if I may. I do a decent amount of winter sauger and walleye fishing, and when this is good down here, it is cold. I typically use P-Line on my spinning equipment since it is strong, supple, and thin for its strength. But when I use it (like this morning) when it is cold, the ice in the guides roughs the line up pretty badly, and this can get expensive changing your line after every trip. I try to watch this and dip the rod when it ices up, but of course you can't catch it all the time. What are you all using in these conditions? No, I'm not crazy, I dress for it and don't get cold.....well not too cold. Thanks advance for any tips on this.

Hey Berry, Berkley makes a cold weather fishing line that should help you. I am not sure where to get it in your neck of the woods but you can usually find it on eBay this time of year. Search out Berkley fishing line and that should get you going. I am a P-line guy as well and I am surprised that you are having issues with it. What type are you using? Also if you have to strip line don't strip it all just up to casting distance plus a few extra yards for mishaps.

The Dragon

By the way if you don't get cold why are you home so early?:D

I use fireline on any reel that is setup for "COLD" weather use... We fish the Illinois River all winter... Down to as cold as 5 or 6 degrees...

I will agree with you guy's about the fire line because it has almost zero water absorption properties.....as long as you like braid! I have a tough time with it unless I am pitchin' or flippin'. My backlashes are brutal as well any tips??

Thanks, keep the ideas coming. It's not the absorption, the ice fills up the guides and roughs the line all up when you wind it through. Dragon, we've been fishing at night; the bite has been better after dark, when the sun gets up it's just not been very good. I've never heard of the Berkley cold weather line, I'm going to check into it- and pick up a pak of Fire Line and try it.

Spray your rod guides with Reel Magic. I had to deal with this all morning yesterday, was 19 degrees when I put the boat in. I had 2 clients wanting to use spinning gear and deep diving crankbaits so the line (mono) was getting real wet. Guides iced up right away. Sprayed the guides and line with RM and problem solved. Key is to spay them before they get wet. You can reapply then as necessary. Had to spray mine also, I was throwing a Sammy topwater on a baitcaster (and catching them, go figure)!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back