Battery Terminal Corrosion ?? Help???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L.

Reaction score
My positve battery lead connection always seems to get lots of corrosion at the battery post connection terminal. I'm getting tired of always cleaning it and have heard there are kinds of gels you can apply to prevent this. Am I on the right track persuing it with some? Anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do to stop the corrosion or will this do it, and if so what should I purchase???????? Thanks!!!!!!! Mike

Mike, go to any autoparts store and buy some battery terminal protector. Then clean all the corrosion off, re-install the leads and then apply the protectant. BTW you might want to think about replacing the positive lead. Depending on the age of your wires they might be black and brittle from corrosion so you may get a voltage drop. Just something to think about.

Eric H.

Mike -

There also used to be some little donut shaped pads that were impregnated with the anti-corrosion substance. They were made by NOCO, Inc. They worked extremely well - just slip one around the post and that was it!

Sears used to sell them for a buck extra when you bought a battery. Then they discovered that having them on the terminals reduced their warranty return so significantly that they started simply installing them as a matter of course.

me!

Sorry, forgot to mention........ You don't have to go to Sears to get them - any auto parts store will do.

me!

You can save a trip to the parts store and just go to your medicine cabinet instead. Vasoline (petroleum jelly) works great as an anti-corrosion agent.

Well I'm trying a light coating of Vaseline as Rich suggested. If this doesn't work I guess I have to try Lanes suggestion and disconnect the battery after use. It's just my trolling motor deep cycle that gets the corrosion. The cranking battery is OK....Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!

Another trick is to use a blob of vasoline or grease to stick a penny near the positive anode. The penny will collect the corrosion and not the anode.

Russ

Latest posts

Back