Battery Drainage

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwlytkr

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I noticed my cranking battery was dead on my 2015 Nitro z7 fish and ski boat. Replaced the battery and it died after a couple of days. Replaced it again and again it died basically overnight. I charged it back up to 100% and checked the drainage and it was running 4 amps, which I wouldn't think is enough to drain it like it is doing. Any thoughts on what may be my problem or a better way to trouble shoot. BTW my Main Power switch has been off on all of these occasions. Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks, John

Hi John,

I don't recommend putting this off. BoatUS (no affiliation) has a decent video online called " How to Isolate Boat Electrical Problems Using a Multimeter". It taught me enough to understand my similar problem and keep one expert honest.

I had an older boat with similar issues a few years back and installed a battery post disconnect switch until i could get the real problem fixed. At the time I noticed they can only go onto the negative terminal by design, due to terminal diameter difference. I am not an expert, Tommy either knows something I don't (sometimes that's easy) or may want to look into changing his method and disconnecting the NEGATIVE...

Bob

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know what I find. I just got all the batteries charged up to 100% so, I'll start troubleshooting tomorrow.

The "Main Power switch" on the console usually does not shut of power to the motor and possibly an auto bilge pump.

To truly shut off all power you need one of the two mentioned above... either install a Perko type Battery terminal disconnect switch, or physical disconnect all wiring from one of the battery terminals.
HOWEVER even if you do install a disconnect, your severe shorting problem still remains. This must be fixed or you will find yourself in a fire or worse, an explosion.

Potential areas where the short may exist: 1) Main motor ... a)starter solenoid... b) tilt trim motor; 2) bilge pump; 3) Trolling motor; 4) Sonar electronics. At 4 amps my guess would be a stuck bilge pump running continuously. Otherwise you would hear the loud pop or see the arc and smell melted material from an accidental short when the battery is reconnected. I hope this helps.

good ideas. Thanks for the help. Hadn't had a chance to search for it yet. I'll let you know.

after i had all the wireing burn and melt everthing into one solid cable on a tinny i unstall a battrey disconnect on everthing i own. a glass boat would have burnt down.

Well, I still have not been able to figure out the issue with my batteries draining. Pulled the fuses one at a time, disconnect my amp and stereo components and still the same problem. Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a Nitro z7 fish and ski boat or have one to share? Thought I would give it one more try before having to take into the shop. Thanks John

Check your Alternator on the engine- it can draw amperage with the key off if it's faulty. My Z18 began it's life with a faulty alternator continually used 3 amps all the time even with the key off. Had it replaced and no issue since. For this reason I then installed a Perco battery isolator switch to disconnect the engine battery when not is use.

Thanks. I'll check it. I already have a disconnect on the boat but, still need to figure out what the issue is.

anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2017 nitro z7 fish and ski combo with a 150 merc they can share or tele how to get one? Tried everything and still can't figure out what the battery drainage issue is.

Latest posts

Back