Battery charger vs onboard charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Maisch

Reaction score
I currently have a minn Kota battery charger that was given to me when I bought my boat. What is the difference between this and an onboard charger except for the obvious that it mounts in the boat. Is there positive and negatives of each.

Depending on the age and features of the charger not really any difference. The on-board are manufactured to be water proof, vibration resistant and provide the ease of just plugging in wherever you take your boat. They are most all equipped with a variable rate charge feature and can accommodate different kinds of batteries. Most portables are not so heavily featured but can be used if you want to lug it along.

Althouh alot of regular chargers are 10 AMP and onboard's are usually 6 AMP or less.

Less charging time on a 10.

One more thing. Living in SE Oklahoma on Lake Eufaula I usually fish all year. However in the winter if I'm have to miss a couple of weeks due to bad weather (I'm old and don't take it as well as I once did) I still plug in the charger about once a week and warm them up.

On-board, 100 times more convenient. You can get them with up to 15 amps per bank.

Eufala is spot on. Do exactly as he says and batteries will last longer.

On board,the convienance is worth the price,and dont get a larger amp charger than you really need,my z7 came with a two bank 6 amp onboard,works great,dont boil the acid outa the batteries,and recharges my 24 volt system in a couple of hours.

Latest posts

Back