Battery and oil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2meNitro

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2011 Z9 with Mercury 250 ProXS. Lat owner ran Pennzoil in it and want to get back to what Mercury says to run in it but reading conflicting reports. What is the suggestion of the forum? Also he has a 550 cca battery for starting battery, It starts fine but i seem to remember reading the Optimax motors need more cranking power?

Attachments

• IMG_0146 (1).JPG
    IMG_0146 (1).JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 5
I run Quicksilver DFI oil... academy has it. It is pricey though

Not sure on battery

I've been running Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle Oil for 8 years in my 2013 Z-7 Sport with a Mercury 150 hp Pro XS Optimax. Typically it sells by the gallon a Wally World for about $24. It's the oil recommended by Mercury and I've never had any issues with it. The boat came with an Interstate Deep Cycle (SRM-24) starting battery with 550 cranking amps and I purchased a new one a couple of years ago. Never had any problems with starting the boat with this particular battery.

The Mercury Pro XS 200-250 HP battery recommendation is 1000 cranking amps, not sure on the 150. The recommended Oil for Pro XS is Mercury or Quicksilver is DFI oil or premium plus. Most oils meet the recommendation requirements, but make sure it is the right specifications for the type of engine you are running.

Ok, I'll put my 2 cents in on this as I was once Mercury sponsored . The oil that Mercury wants in there Opti Max is the Mercury Opti Max DFI oil. At one time they said that the Mercury Premium Plus 2 cycle oil was fine to use in the Opti because that's what they where running in the Opti racing motors. Then they found out that the oil was to thick and they where having oil pump failure's due to the oil does not mix in the VST ( vapor separator tank) tank like the EFI motors before the injectors, There for DFI direct fuel injection . The oil is delivered directly to the cylinders and crankshaft. So as far as a battery the Opti has to have a 1000 cca to correctly run the PCM ( propulsion control module ) As then cranking the PCM needs 11.4 volts to operate. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back