Bass Umbrella Rigs (aka Alabama rigs)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
So, with winter coming to an end and the peak fishing season coming up fast, wondering if anyone has any real world experience using the Alabama Rig? I know there was a lot of talk last year - especially after Paul Elias won the FLW event on Guntersville. But has anyone actually used one? What was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

I had a handful sent to me last October and found it deadly on suspended fish and as a good, all around deep tool. Like most other lures/techniques it has its time and place to be most effective. I wouldn't say it's the end all be all lure, but it works well and the strikes are like throwing a snag hook out on a busy freeway. I haven't tried throwing it all day long. I'd rather chop a cord of wood by hand and feel the same at the end of the day. :lol: I prefer the composite head A-rigs with the weight being added by the jigheads/lures. I've found a light composite head 5 arm rig with .40 wire minimum rigged with two 1/8-4/0 jigheads top and middle with two 3/16th heads on bottom to cover most of the water column. I like Zoom's Swimmin'Fluke Jr. bodies on the jigheads to make a nice bait school. When I want to stay above 10' without moving too fast I'll switch the upper and middle jigs to unweighted 4/0 hooks and 1/8-4/0 jigheads on the bottom two. It is a fun way to fish, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for three or four days in a row in a T. It's a workout! Good luck! ;)

And be prepared to be WOOOOOORN OUT if you throw it all day!!! Also, the first fish you get on it is super exciting, but just wait until you get the first double or triple!! Dont jump out of the Nitro! Oh, and post pictures for us on how it goes.

You can now ues it for this year in Indiana with all 5 wires rigged!!!!

Randy

Only 3-wire allowed in TN. (no restriction on hook size); actual law is ambiguous and confusing. Small club I fish with banned all from tourneys. Some others in the area also. I've used it (3 wire) would rather throw a regular swim bait. One freind fished a few tourneys on Guntersville these last few weeks with mixed success on a 5-wire. I've come to the conclusion that they are like anything else........ it has to look right, land right, at the right place, at the right time. Otherwise you'll throw it all day for nought expect the need for Tommy John's surgery.:)

I threw my sponsors version of the arig - Red Dirt Bait Company "The Toad Loader" - for the 1st time this weekend at a BWS tournament on KY Lake. I was on the TN side so I could only use 3 wires.

I already had my limit on traps and square bills so I decided to try it out to upgrade. 1st cast ever with the arig and I caught a large mouth. I culled a few times with it and caught several keepers on it. I had my kicker on but had an equipment failure so I lost it. My boater was about ready to tie one on.

I don't think they should be legal in tournaments. I believe it takes the skill out of it. If you are anywhere around fish, you are going to catch them. They have outlawed them for my LBAA pro tournaments but I will keep throwing them from the back of the boat for sure.

I was fishing in 8ft or less - chucking it out and reeling it back. Used a 7'6" flipping stick with 65 lb braid. When they hit it, they slam it. I can see it being very good for schooling fish as well.

I now see what the craze is all about.

If you are interested in the Toad Loader (reasonably priced arig at $13.99), go to www.reddirtbaits.com and enter promotion code TC2012 to save 15%.

Posted the link for direct access. However, they don't appear to have anything on their site under the name 'toad' or a listing for anytype of similar 'Alabama Rig'. Maybe I'm simply missing it.

Regardless, thanks Teri for the discount code just the same.

Tex
http://www.reddirtbaits.com

Tex, I have a text into the owner. I got some at the show I worked in Indy so I didn't order them off the site. I will put a post up when I get the info on ordering. Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW, with all the spring rains - Ray Hubbard is nearing full pool. You should be in good shape to get almost anywhere on the lake by your tourney. Of course, given the amount of spring rains, be ready for some 'coffee colored' water (as in 'cream with your coffee'). Certainly a situation we see down here in the spring.

Tex

Thanks all! Great tips. Went to BPS last weekend to pick one up. Got the BPS version for $15.99. Went to try it on Lake Anna the next day but needed to prep the boat after storage (yes, I know - could've fished all winter! Work got in the way :eek:). Wouldn't you know it? Mice got into the boat. Made a mess of some senko's (funny, they didn't touch the Charlie's ribbontail worms!). Also chewed up one of my fleece neck warmers. Luckily, that was the extent of the damage. Ended up spending the day cleaning up mice crap and bits of senko and fleece scattered about. Going to try the A-rig this coming weekend. I'll let you know how it works . . . :cool:

Tex, after checking with Red Dirt Baits, I found out their version of the arig is getting a redesign. After field testing, I and a few others gave them some suggestions and they are implementing them now. The new version should be available in the near future.

Has anyone researched to see if these things are legal in Ohio waters?

RoyC

I've see some of these rigs advertised with only 3 wires, which should be OK to use then.

I've also heard of some folks attaching a blade to the other "un-hooked" wires if they were using a 5-wire rig?

RoyC

Hey Dan,

Where do you find the light composite heads. I've only found the weighted heads.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

In TN, it's 3 "lures" per rig. You have to leave the other 2 wires empty...no blades, no hooks, no dummy baits, nothing.

Latest posts

Back