Bass Fishing Trivia Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, let's see who out there is up on their Bass Fishing Trivia.

What was the first Bass Fishing Tournament?

Place?

Date (month/year is fine)?

Where?

Prize offered to the first correct answer.

Tex

Here is my first guess!

Texas State Bass Tournament

Whitney

Bob G.

The first organized B.A.S.S. was at Lake Meade near Las Vegas. It was in summer of 1968 by founder of BASS Ray Scott. It had a first place winner take all $10000.

BUT Moses and I got into frequent Nile bass fishing contests when we were yong until he got into religion and left for the desert.

fatrap

Any place TOXIC is fishing!!! Oh, that's right it's not a GAS Fishing Tournament!! LOL

BASS's first tournament was in 1967,...won by Stan Sloan.

Can't remember the name of the lake but it was somewhere in Alabama. Fatrap,..you're thinking of the first BASS Classic....

So far, we have two answers that are very close to being completely correct. However, neither is 'technically' correct. Let's see if they can 'zone in' on the answer(s).

Tex

Sorry Toto. LOL

I feel stupid now! Someone walked by and I was sitting here laughing my butt off and they looked at me like I lost my freakin' mind!

"Technically", here's my guess:

Place: Texas

Date: April 1955

Where: Lake Whitney

Central Texas Invitational

Place: Lake Whitney

Time: April 1955

Where:Whitney, TX

I believe, technically, the first amateur bass tournament in 1955 on Lake Whitney was called the Texas Central Invitational organized by Earl Golding. The tournament was renamed in 1956 to be The Texas State Bass Tournament.

Darn, I posted just after Resch. Bks

Correct. Here is the short version of the writeup.

Fishermen have competed against each other since the first two anglers showed off their respective catches. But Earl Golding, former outdoors writer for the Waco Tribune-Herald, invented bass tournaments when he organized an event he called the Central Texas Invitational. Lake Whitney was a new and highly productive bass lake in 1955.

When Golding would talk to marina owners around the new lake, each would tout a local angler as the best they'd ever seen. Golding began to wonder who was really the top dog, and he came up with the idea of holding a fishing tournament. He talked his newspaper into sponsoring the event.

Golding invited 75 teams to the Central Texas Invitational, and 73 showed up. As soon as the tournament was over, Golding was bombarded with requests for invitations to the next year's event. He changed the name to the Texas State Bass Tournament in 1956 and made it an open event. That year, 406 anglers entered the only bass tournament held in Texas.

The Annual Tournament was held this past weekend, on Richland-Chambers Lake in Texas. One of the major sponsors of the tournament is - Nitro!

Tex

Very interesting.

Sure thought it was in Kansas though....LOL

Well Sweet.....what do I win?

By the Way...Texas State Bass Tournament...great tournament to fish in...lots of Camaraderie.

Well, there will definitely be a prize - that will be fishing related. Email me with your address. I'll make the choice this week, and send it off to you.

Tex

Latest posts

Back