Bass Fishing Lines And Leaders

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on a side note -I'm following the Major League Fishing Redcrest event this week on the livestream. It's an interesting setup for competition.. I've enjoyed watching the pros fish with the cameras in the boat you get a good sense of whats it's like to be there.
Larry- Not to get off topic from the main thread, but I too follow the MLF, shhhh I do it while at work! I like that you can see that even the pros struggle from time to time

L Scrooge,
HA- shhhh me too! Yes. I have enjoyed being able to see their thinking play out as well. Indeed they are real people who struggle with the complexity of finding fish. I'm old school but I really do like the MLF format a lot. I like that fish get released immediately where they are caught. Jordan Lee was really strugglilng yesterday with what to do. He is very young yet butg he is a good fisherman. The use of forward looking sonar was very interesting to me. Some relied on it a lot others not using in much. Tharp sees it as too much distraction. It is all very intersing to those of us who do some tournament fishing. KVD, arguably the best bass fisherman on the planet with the absolute best resources available still couldn't make it happen. You are so right- seeing the human side of it is good for all of us.... Today will be interesting for sure.. me going to it now....

Hi Larry I bought the Seaknight S9 in yellow and the light Green after reading your review on the line, also ordered the uv glue you recommend to use. I used the FG knot, took me a while to get the hang of it but finally got it. I fished it 3 days, i like the line very much. Is very smooth line like you said. I am not a braid man but i will use this.

CUB48, Glad to see that you tried it. The line is awesome and using the FG will help you with a variety of leaders. Great on spinning reels and the UV glue will end your concern about knot slips and strength....

THis is another brand that is truly an awesome product smooth as mono as well as being half the price of the name brands.. You can get this in 15, 20, 25 pound test. It looks like Amazon doesn't deal the smaller weight lines and the price is double that of AliExpress- but it take up to 6 weeks to get it-

Angryfish 9 Strands Weaves Braided 500M/547YD Fishing Line Super Strong PE Line 15LB-70LB Braided Fishing Thread

855 Reviews1515 orders

US $14.14

-68%

I got this in the 18 pound test and it will cut your hands trying to pull it to a breaking point. Get you some! $14 for over 500 yards makes it worht the wait.....

1614606676275.png

Little Scroouge,
I watched REDCREST final day. It was clear that the Lowrance Active Target Sonar set up the winner. Being able to see the "attitued" of fish on a brush pile is a big deal. I'm understanding from what I saw and the after discussion that the advantage of Active Target over Garmins live scope is the etended range of view. Lowrance sonar view is not as clear as Garmin's but the extended viewing range of Lowrance proved to be a distinct advantage in competion. Connell didn't watch the water, much like a video game he could see his bait, the fish and how they reacted to his lure on the screen. I thouroghly enjoyed the MLF event coverage but have a lot of pause about fishing with such technolgy in competition....

Sadly still waiting on the Seaknight to come in, Amazon says it’s lost, I only watched a little of the MLF as I am in the process of trying to build a pavilion for a new smoker that I purchased. Still practicing the knot at the kitchen table with scrap line though

Little Scroouge,
I watched REDCREST final day. It was clear that the Lowrance Active Target Sonar set up the winner. Being able to see the "attitued" of fish on a brush pile is a big deal. I'm understanding from what I saw and the after discussion that the advantage of Active Target over Garmins live scope is the etended range of view. Lowrance sonar view is not as clear as Garmin's but the extended viewing range of Lowrance proved to be a distinct advantage in competion. Connell didn't watch the water, much like a video game he could see his bait, the fish and how they reacted to his lure on the screen. I thouroghly enjoyed the MLF event coverage but have a lot of pause about fishing with such technolgy in competition....
Larry- I watched too, and agree with your assessment but either way the guys with Active Target or Live Scope seem to have a distinct advantage over the guys that don't have that technology. For me I probably will never have that technology, just not even in my wheel house of affordability compared to how much I get to fish each year. When I do fish I will continue to hone my old school techniques and I am perfectly fine with that
Jim

Little Scrooge, yes I'm going to retire is a couple of years.. and have time to fish more than I do now. The technology is too expensive now. I might consider getting into it later. Have to wonder what's next on the technology front and how much will be allowed into competetive fishing. With fishing pressure like it is these days being able to track fish down in open water would make things exciting. I've been able to spot bass feeding below the surface in open water with visual surface clues but that only works when they very close to you and stay near the top. Being able to follow subsurface would be a great advantage at times. It was interesing to see, at REDCREST event that when I bass was caught off a brush pile, the entire group of fish seemed to shut down. I I like that the guys caught fish and immediatel released them- but I'm convinced that unless they are actively feeding, a caught fish returning to thier spot warns the others to lay low, so to speak. The guys catching using the forward sonar seemed to confirm that,
going away from a spot then returning later seemed to help get other bites in the same spots.

Latest posts

Back