Bass Fishing Lines And Leaders

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious about what others are doing around the country relarted to the use of lines and leaders for bass fishing?

A few years back, I began to experiment with braid line and flouro leaders on both my casting and spinning equipment. I learned to tie the FG knot to attach leaders of mono or flouro to braid main lines. This is now working very well for me. I have found some really good 9 stranded braid lines in the 15 -20lb class that I like alot. There are three brands straight from factories in China that are inexpensive and super slick- I'm not finding any flaws so far and my casting distance is now far better than ever. The three Brands are JOF, Seaknight ,and Angryfish. Seaknight S9, is the smoothest to the point of not even being able to recognize it as a braided line by touch. Zero noise and the least friction possible. THe price is in the range of $13 to $25 for 500M spools. I order these directly form China on AliExpress.com but you can get them, for a little more money, off Amazon.
I've been use the bright yellow briad in order see it well under any conditions and BPS flourocabon leaders in 10 to 14 pound test for what I do. As far as I can tell, I haven't lost a fish because of the FG knot tie to connect the leaders. This knot can be pulled completely into any reel and cast out with no snagging or cast interference allowing the use of long leader lines if desired. I re-tie leaders often to stay in good form on the FG knot- you have to be really careful with tying it. Also let me add that I have learned not to use micro guide rods for this setup- you just can't make the line knot flow smoothly through those tiny guides no matter how you try. These set ups make me able to be comfortable using really expensive flourcarborn line. you use very little over time even if you replace leaders on a very regular basis and the braid just don't get bad. These ones I've metioned here hold thier color extemely well too.
Again, I'm curious to know about others experinces with lines and leaders- What are you all doing these days for bass fishing?

Thanks!

Larry, I just came across this post and although I have not yet tried tying my leaders, I am really interested in giving it a shot. You’re post gave me new hope. I’m not familiar with the FG knot and was curious if it holds up well on large fish. Not that I catch a ton of them but would hate to lose a double digit fish. I plan to start try this spring and let you know if I discover any new twists.
Thanks

Jim,

I have learned to tie the knot with lots of practice- now it seems easy to do. I have not had one pull out on a fish and test the knot regulary to find that the lines will break somewhere else when a break occurs by excess force- it's never the knot. I do use some insurance- I bought some of the blacklight glue compound that sets when exposed to black light. It is really good and makes a smooth finish on the knot. you can get the kit from Amazon that contains the small pencil black light It is better than other kinds of glues due to the extreme fast quickset everytime. however, I have tied the knot in the boat without it and had no issues. using a touch of the glue when you finish tying will give you the confindence to use the knot more. using the thin brade lines on my spinning reels has helped me cast further with less effort. I still like the flouro or mono lines at the bait in many situations. expensive flouro line is easier to keep a quality leader material and a reasonabe cost. I have learned that you can camo bright colored braid with markes and lure dye very well. WE have a lot of dirty or dingly water here in Louisiana and I feel like fish don't see line very well in weeds and grass espe;cially if the line is spot colored to camo it. I have switched the braids I"ve mentioned and have been more than satisfied with the quality- the 8 and 9 strand constructed lines are as smooth and quiet as mono.. as well as unbelivably strong for the small diameter. Some 20 pound test lines are .014MM diameter almost like thread. I have some 15 that is smaller than sewing thread.
I learned to tie the FG knot by watching the Salt Stong series video where the guy is at a table tying the knot. Keeping pressure on the lead line while you tie is easily done by using a small velcro stip attached to your belt or put it in your pocket to hold the line tension to tie.

I started out with a double-uni knot, then tried the FG knot. I have since moved to the Crazy Alberto knot. I found it much easier and faster to tie and it is every bit as strong as the FG knot, I have never had it break. It might not be quite as slim as the FG knot, but it goes through the guides just fine. Here is a video with Brandon Palaniuk showing how to tie it. Major League Lesson: Brandon Palaniuk Ties a Braid to Fluoro Leader - Major League Fishing

Thanks Larry and all other replies. All great information. I made the transition a while back to a similar setup to Larry's. I started with the FG knot but found mine coming unraveled overtime. It never failed on me and retying it often does get easier. It did not dawn on me to try the UV cure glue, so thanks for that suggestion. I knew glue would solve my problem but the only glue I thought of was superglue. Superglue outgasses and I was afraid it would harm my gear. I actually have the UV glue kit in my fly tying box.

CD, I think you will like it used on the knot. It gave me more confidence that it wouldn't come undone. Also seals the knot from water. I'll have to say that I've gotten more confidence in it without the glue now. Fishing competitively, which I don't do much anymore, I would use the glue for insurance! Everthing has its pros and cons. braid will sail in the wind but the bright color high visibility is good for me. I've learned to keep it from making knots in the wind and love the strength factor. the new braids with 8-9 strand construciton are really smooth. Another trick for top water is to use a round unscented candle stick to coat the line with a water resistant coating. It will float far better on the lead end doing this- hard to beat it for topwater applications...

Larry
Great topic. I'm following your braid/flouro combinations closely. I'm using Berkley high vis yellow braid with P-line leaders. I'm using the double uni knot. This application is for my rubber baits: worms, brush hogs, lizards and senko style. Senko fishing with a spinner rig.
Vic

The braid to flouro leader is popular with the Pros now.. KVD and others says learn to tie and use the FG knot. I tried all the others but none of them are thin as the FG although they are easier to tie. There is still the subtle tic of the knot through some of the guides but it's so much smaller that unless there is a little pressure on the line you can't tell whens the knot enters the guides of goes through the reel. The FG seemed really hard at first to me, but as I continue to tie it, it has become almost second nature. It does take a few minutes and you have to figure out a way to keep both the leader and your mainline tight as you tie but I've mastered that now. Using the bright yellow braid has helped me see what's happening with my line much better especially with subtle bites. I've gone to long leader flouro in either 12 or 14lb test. Knowing hou much leader is beyond the knot is helpful to always be aware of exacty where your bait is as well. I have found that Braid cast so much better than any mono. I'm able to make longer and more accurate casts. Eliminating line stretch in all but the leader is a big advantage as well.

Thanks Gentlemen, lot of great information in this thread. I’ve ordered the UV glue and am practicing the FG knot. I live in the Hillcountry in Texas with three lakes within a 15 minute drive and all three usually have clear to very clear water. Really want to master this because line has become one of my main expenses and I think braid will solve that problem as well as help on the hook set.

Jim, thanks, BTW dont' hesitate to try the brands of braid lines thats I"ve mentioned- I"m not getting into the politics of China but I can tell you they havev mastered braid line construction with these 8 and 9 stranded processes. The price will make you think it might not be good. I've used these for 3 years now and they are every bit as good as any expensive line you can buy. I think most of it comes from China anyway. You can buy the flouro you want at any price and keep new leaders in play at a fraction of the cost... The glue was a great find for me that I discovered by accident just trying to get away from the superglue mess.

Thanks Larry, I went on Amazon and got 547 yds of the 20# Seaknight Monster S9 for $27. which should last me awhile. I’m going to pair it with Berkeley Vanish 17#. About how long do you usually tie your leaders, we have exceptionally clear water here on Inks Lake where I live and also on Lakes LBJ and Buchanan which are both within 10 miles.

Jim, I would tie as much as 6' . You won't be limited at all. The longer leaders allow you to simply trim back at the bait as your day goes based on what you get in to. Although I can tie the FG in the boat, its easier on the bench. Long leaders can help keep you from retying on the water. I think you will really love the UV glue for the knot and the glue will last a long time since you only need to use a tiny amount each tie. Good luck with it.. Let me know what you think about that new line after you have had a chance to try it out fishing.. The have a camo version that I haven't tried yet built the same way called SNAKE. It looks really good with a mix of subtle colors. I've been experimenting with straight braid and coloring the leader end myself. Our water here is rarely clear enough to have much visibility. I can imagine that you will want to use leaders all the time with that clean water environment.

Due to the snow storm my leader supplies have been delayed. Does anyone have an opinion on the FG tying gadgets that are supposed to help tie the knot? I’ve seen the YouTube videos that make it look a lot easier but I’m sure some of them are paid to promote it.

I'm curious about what others are doing around the country relarted to the use of lines and leaders for bass fishing?

A few years back, I began to experiment with braid line and flouro leaders on both my casting and spinning equipment. I learned to tie the FG knot to attach leaders of mono or flouro to braid main lines. This is now working very well for me. I have found some really good 9 stranded braid lines in the 15 -20lb class that I like alot. There are three brands straight from factories in China that are inexpensive and super slick- I'm not finding any flaws so far and my casting distance is now far better than ever. The three Brands are JOF, Seaknight ,and Angryfish. Seaknight S9, is the smoothest to the point of not even being able to recognize it as a braided line by touch. Zero noise and the least friction possible. THe price is in the range of $13 to $25 for 500M spools. I order these directly form China on AliExpress.com but you can get them, for a little more money, off Amazon.
I've been use the bright yellow briad in order see it well under any conditions and BPS flourocabon leaders in 10 to 14 pound test for what I do. As far as I can tell, I haven't lost a fish because of the FG knot tie to connect the leaders. This knot can be pulled completely into any reel and cast out with no snagging or cast interference allowing the use of long leader lines if desired. I re-tie leaders often to stay in good form on the FG knot- you have to be really careful with tying it. Also let me add that I have learned not to use micro guide rods for this setup- you just can't make the line knot flow smoothly through those tiny guides no matter how you try. These set ups make me able to be comfortable using really expensive flourcarborn line. you use very little over time even if you replace leaders on a very regular basis and the braid just don't get bad. These ones I've metioned here hold thier color extemely well too.
Again, I'm curious to know about others experinces with lines and leaders- What are you all doing these days for bass fishing?

Thanks!
Larry, I tie the FG knot or Double-Uni in my garage under pretty ideal conditions, when on the water though it’s tougher to tie these knots with wind, cold hands or

Thanks!
Larry, I usually tie the Double-Uni in my garage before getting on the water, this is under ideal conditions. It harder on the water with wind, cold hands or sun glare. The Seaquar Knot is my go to knot in the boat on the water. It’s not as streamlined but it’s a lot easier to tie and quick too. Haven’t lost any fish due to the knot breaking or failing. I agree with you on longer leaders for the reasons you mention.

KVD has a series of videos called Colleger of Bass. He mentions using 20 and 30ft leaders so that you can trim the line as you go through the day.
He also believes that braid line being pulled through the water may make some vibration that fish can sense. I had never considered that possibility but the new 9 strand braids I've be using are extremely slick, unlike the 4 strand lines. I think the setup is particulary effective for those of us with aging eyesigt. the brignt color mainline helps me a lot. knowing the length of the leader also helps me keep a good fix on exactly where my bait is in the water at any moment. .

on a side note -I'm following the Major League Fishing Redcrest event this week on the livestream. It's an interesting setup for competition.. I've enjoyed watching the pros fish with the cameras in the boat you get a good sense of whats it's like to be there.

I would think if you're going to fish 20 to 30 foot leaders that would be a consideration for clear, deeper water environments. I personally like them a little shorter as they are easier to inspect for damage while fishing. 8-12 foot is my preference but everyone has his own likes or dislikes depending on conditions.

Latest posts

Back