Basic Equipment Needed for Bass Fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Plummer

Reaction score
Before everyone leaves to have fun....can I get some ideas on what you would buy to get started bass fishing. I am looking for rods, tackle, baits and any other necessities. I am completely new to this and would be interested to see the different suggestions. Also, approximate cost to get started with this equipment would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jay

Bleach and dynamite.....lots of it! LOL Really it all depends on how much you want to spend. You could drop $5k at the bat of an eye and still find things you "need". Getting started you want a 1/2 dozen quality rod and reel combos. A couple baitcasters on med action, couple on med/heavy, and a couple spinning rigs on med rods. A range of line from 6lb to 20 lb depending on where and how you're fishing. Baits, well what every basser should have is a healthy assortment of the following

Spinner baits, crankbaits, jerkbaits, top water, jigs, and soft plastics including grubs, tubes, worms, chunk trailers soft jerkbaits etc. Play around until you find baits you have confidence in and then expand on that. Stop by BPS in Auburn Hills when Ken gets back and he'll set you up proper!

Maybe I should have given a spending limit!! I am looking to spend about $200 or so for the basics to get started realizing it will just increase from there. I don't think the wife will go for 5k Rob...although that would be fun.

Jay

2 Rod and Reel sets. (1 Medium Heavy Rod, 1 Medium Rod) Baitcast or SpinCast, your choice. You can get good "Bass Pro" rods at BPS for around 40-50 that will last you a long time. Reels, about the same.

Get yourself a handful of Bandit Crankbaits (200 and 300 series in basic colors)

3 Spinner baits (Black with Colorodo, White with nickel/silver, white/Chart with Gold blades)

Couple of bags of Plastic worms. (I would start with Senko's but that is my confidence bait)

Some 4 inch Grubs and 1/16 ounce jigheads.

3 Black/Blue Flippin Jigs, 3 Brown ones (Stan Sloan models)

An assortment of Hooks,sinkers, etc...

SHould be able to get in and out of BPS for around $300 and "get started"... just be warned, once you catch the fever... you can't get rid of it. No known cure.

I don't think (and that is a different problem) you should start out with "too much" equipment, too easy to get confused and wonder if you are using the wrong thing. Keep it simple and focus on 1 or 2 techniques at a time. then, as you gain experience, you will be able to purchase equipment for specific tasks. (Another thing I wish I had learned in the beginning).

Have fun! (that is the true point to all of it, after all)

Jay,

I can't agree with Mo's first statement enough. Different baits come with time, but DO NOT skimp on the rod, reel and line. BPS "Extreme" Combos go for about $99. I recommend a medium 6'6" medium action spinning set-up. This with a good brand name line (Sten, Trilene)in 8 or 10 lbs test should be diverse enough for almost any conditions. So there's about $110.

Take the other $90 and buy what ever you think looks delicious....LOL

And to second Sim's final statement...HAVE FUN!!

Marke

Everything mentioned above. As for colors, try to find out what natural forage is in the water you will be fishing. A lot of crayfish, get some brown and orange baits; perch, perch or firetiger; shad, silver and black, gold and black. Also pick out a couple gawd-awful bright and ugly colors for muddy water. Bright chartreuse, bubblegum, etc... I think both Bass Pro and Cabelas have "starter" kits that contain some plugs, worms, jigs, etc...

Rich D

I am gonna go against the flow and say you should skimp a bit on rods and reels at first, because honestly, it will take some experience before you can appreciate the difference between "OK" gear and "good" gear. You may eventually not like the gear you started with, no matter what you choose. Your opinions will change as you gain experience. What you need now is reasonable quality and durability. Eventually, this equipment can be loaned to non-fishing friends when they come fishing with you. Trust, me, if you get hooked, you will eventually have equipment for that purpose.

If you have a BPS nearby, I would recommend the following:

(2) BPS Graphite Classic spinning rods (1 medium, 1 medium heavy), any length between 5'6" and 6'6" (longer if you are tall, shorter if you are short). If you want to spend a little more on rods, go with the BPS Tourney Special spinning rods, same specs. Both types of rods are decent quality and durable.

Total for the two will be between $50 and $60 depending on which you choose.

If you don't have a BPS nearby, try a Wal-Mart and look for Berkely Lightning rods, same sizes as described above.

(2) reels, BPS Mega Tournament MT20FA and MT30FA.

Again, no BPS, try Wal-Mart for Daiwa's Regal Z 2500C and Regal Z 2000C, (or any Shimano, Mitchell, Quantum or Daiwa spinning real in the $30 to $50 range).

Total for two, $60 - $90

400yd spool of 6lb clear monofilament for the medium rod/reel.

400yd spool of 10lb clear monofilament for the med. hvy rod/reel. $10 for both

25 pack of 2/0 worm hooks $5

An assortment of lead weights, mostly bullets of 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 oz $3

Half dozen assorted packs of plastic worms/lizards/crawdads in 4" and 6" sizes, colors based on what the people in the store tell you are popular for where you will fish. $20.

Several inline spinner baits 1/8 oz, 1/6 oz, 1/4 oz

Several Roadrunners, 1/8 oz, 1/4oz

Several crankbaits (shallow, medium)

A topwater popper

$20

Small tackle box with a flip out tray $10

A knockoff leatherman type utility plier/knife $10 (or a pocket knife and a pair of cheap pliers).

A copy of "Fishing for Dummies" or "Complete Idiots Guide to Fishing"...both good books for the beginner on how to tie knots, rig baits, cast, retrieve, fish different conditions, etc. $15. (Email me your address and I'll lend you mine)

Some Band-aids from your medicine cabinet. :)

That will get you out the door for between $200 and $250 and get you through some outings so you can decide if you like to fish.

WOW!! Those were some detailed suggestions (just what I wanted). I truly appreciate the effort put into most of the posts on this site. I will definitely make use of the suggestions. Now I just need some money (wife isn't working for the summer) and her blessing to go get this stuff. Actually she's very goodto me and rarely says no when it comes to me spending...other things maybe.

Thanks Rich Stern for offering to send the books. That is a very generous offer but I can't ask you to do it. I'll get my own copies but I really appreciate the offer.

I hope I enjoy this as much as you all obviously do. Have fun at the rally...I'm hoping to be ready for next year!!

Jay

Jay,

I'm going to go way out on a limb here...Spend your first $5 on a Bass Pro catalog....Next...buy one of their "deal" combo rigs in Med Spinning and spool it with 8lb mono at any local bait shop that does it. Then offer the bait shop guy to get you set up with around $40-50 worth of tubes, lizards, and plastic worms and hooks and weights...as long as he'll help you pick out the stuff that works. Then get those books and read how to fish tubes and worms....Try that and when you catch a couple...and you will if you get good adviced where to go and what to use...But, my best advice would be to find and join a local bass club...take your new rod and reel and go fishing with some guys like the ones here...they will "educate" you quickly...

Just be careful...this stuff is as adfdictive as any "banned" substance and costs probably more!!!!

Good luck.

Rich-

You can catch bass on those In-Line spinnerbaits?

Ever since 'ol Bill Dance started pitching the Terminator brand I've had a few...never done any good with them...(except for Pike! haha)

az

Jay -

My thought is just one rod - a 6' medium spinning will do just fine. All the choices mentioned would be good. I kinda like those from Berkley and BPS.

Any of the Shimano reels in the 1000 size. They have some - I believe they are the TX and FX series - with a graphite body that'll only cost about $20 to $25. I've fished with all kinds of spinning reels for many years and the Shimano's can't be beat for value and reliability. Even the inexpensive ones will last you a lifetime!

For line, go with 8# Stren clear/blue fluorescent. When using a spinning reel, it is very important to get good, limber line without a memory. The line will also be easy enough for you to see what is going on while not spooking the fish.

Baits? All of the above! Don't worry about getting BIG baits to attract BIG fish - small and medium sizes will catch you big fish, too, and not pass up the medium sized ones which is all most of us ever catch anyway!

Have fun!

me!

Andy -

I ALWAYS have some Rooster Tails with me. Brown or gray are exceptional colors for bass and crappie. The ones I use for bass are pretty much the largest sizes offered at WallyWorld - don't have any in packages so I don't know what the weights are.

I've also caught a ton of bass on Road Runners. White or chartreuse; with either the soft plastic or maribou bodies.

me!

Scott-

I use "regular" spinnerbaits alot!

Just never had success with In-line spinners for largemouths...I caught white bass with road runners...

az

Andy, my wife and I have been doing some of our best catching this spring with in-line spinners. You can throw a 1/4 oz inline spinner a long way on a medium or medium light spinning rod. It's a great multi-species lure. They hook up reliably without getting swallowed, and they're managable for a beginner in terms of unhooking the fish without getting in trouble.

Jay, good luck!

The bigger mepps are great for pike and muskie! Small ones are great for trout!

For trout, if I'm going to use a "crank" type lure, my first choice is a Rooster Tail in the smaller sizes, pink in color.

My first choice for years has been Woley Buggers.

Carli, I didn't get to try the Bass Bunnies this weekend - I'b gud a coad.

me!

Latest posts

Back