BAITWELL? Help!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Heitman

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Targa V18 WT. I've had it for 4 months now. I must be getting really stupid in my old age because I am still perplexed by the design of the baitwell / livewell system, and can't make things work the way they should. OK... the baitwell overflow simply "cascades" into the livewell. In other words, there is no hole or overflow drain, but instead the water from the baitwell over-flows a separating wall, like a waterfall, into the livewell. Well, the minnows overflow with the water and end up as a snack for the fish in the livewell. What the hell kind of design is that? What am I missing? Tracker says that's the way it is supposed to work, but it doesn't make sense. The baitwell just dumps the minnows into the livewell! Someone please straighten me out on how this is supposed to work please!! Thanks! Targa:wacko:

The bait should be in the bait bucket that came with your boat.

The bait bucket is designed to fit the front livewell, which I don't use and have sealed off. It won't fit in the aerated baitwell. Am I crazy to think we should be able to keep bait in the baitwell? Thanks KYSean! Targa

I have the same boat and dont have that problem. I will take a closer look tommorrow and post what I find. Can you post some pics so I can compare? I put about 3 lbs of live shrimp in the bait well and turned on the areator and they stayed alive all day...and stayed in the bait well.

BTW.....Does your big livewell drain compleatly? I'm having issues with that.

I haven't used mine yet, I'll have to check mine out.

My livewell drains down to about 3/4" of water remaining. It would be nice if they had recessed the drain hole lower so that it would drain completely. As far as the baitwell overflow, if you watch and feel, it overflows at the top of the wall between the baitwell and livewell, into the livewell. This is the only overflow. I guess there's a difference between shrimp and minnows in that the minnows just swim out along with the overflow water. I'm sorry BowTech Guy, but in addition to being stupid about this baitwell design, I'm pretty computer/camera/iphone ignorant and I don't know how to post a pic. Sorry! I appreciate your help! Targa

I checked mine and it seems that we are in the same boat.(pun intended!!) My bait live well is set up just like you discribed. Very poor design, but I have an easy cheap DIY solution. Home Depot has gutter screen. Its strong enough and be cut and shaped easy. If you cut it right and shap it correctly, you shouldn't even need to mount it...it should hold it self in place. If you need to secure it I would use a couple drops of silicone. Silicone will hold it in place but will peel up if you need it to. That should keep the bait in the bait well.

Thanks BowTech Guy! That seems like a good solution. But doesn't it seem like Tracker would know the minnows would swim out and design the overflow differently? You shouldn't have to buy a $28,000. fishing boat from Bass Pro and have to modify the baitwell for it to work right! I'm taking it in for service next week and asked the Service Manager about this. He said no one had reported any problems, but he would take a look at it. Maybe no one else puts minnows in the baitwell! Thanks! Targa

I think I finally figured it out! Yes, go ahead and laugh at me because it only took me 4 months. Everyone kept telling me that you have to put the drain plug in the baitwell to use it, just like the livewells. Makes sense. But, if you do that, the only way to maintain the water level in the baitwell is the overflow/waterfall into the livewell. However, remember grade school science "water seeks it's own level"? If you use it with the drain plug OUT, the water stays at the same level as the livewell. In other words, the "overflow" is actually the drain hole! There's still an issue with minnows being sucked down through that drain into the livewell that Tracker didn't make allowances for. My solution to that was to drill four 1/4" holes through the drain plug and leave it IN. This allows the water to pass so it can maintain it's level with the livewell, but won't allow the minnows to pass. So far it's working great! OK. Now you can tell me you all knew that already but were just messin' with me! Hope this helps KYSean and BowTech Guy. Thanks! Targa

Latest posts

Back