Bad luck again!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Walls

Reaction score
It was bad luck again after starting the season off so well. We drew number 4 at take off and the 929 runs like lightening to our spot which is open! We get there and within 4 casts my partner has a 2.5 in the boat. Then he says ****! I say whats up? He says, The cable to the trolling motor snapped. So now we are trying to figure out how to control the boat as the wind is beginning to pick up. We some guys come by and wonder if we are going too fish that area and we say we can't as the wind is blowing right in on it. Well they go in and we watch them catch 17.8 pounds right in front of us. I could have cried. Oh well, gotta keep a stiff upper lip and keep plugging away. We are in second out of 83 teams in 4 states by only 8 points. We have two tourneys left and just gotta keep it up. Just wanted to vent!

tight lines

Randy

Randy,

That's why I carry bungee cords, extra bow lines, zip ties, duct tape, etc... in my boat. I guarantee I would have rigged up something up front and kept fishing. You probably would have come by and saw me with a bent up transom light zip tied and duct taped to the lower portion of my trolling motor shaft after I ripped the cable out of the sleeve and head.

If something doesn't work - McGuiver it until you can get it fixed with the right parts. I once fixed a buddies OMC trolling motor prop during the pre-fishing day with a zip tie, and he fished an entire "Mr. Bass" tournament at Smith Mountain lake with it like that. 2 days - no issues.

Sorry to hear that you had bad luck. Get ya' a "McGuiver kit" :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Yes Glenn, McGuiver would have been helpful here.

I wasn't much help. I can do some things ok but...

Once I re-did my bathroom and I tought it looked great. My neighbor comes over and says, "Did this yourself didn't you?" I proudly said "Yep!" Then I asked how he knew. He says the bathroom light switch! It says FFO and NO and not OFF and ON!!!!!!:lol::lol:

Hell it worked and still does to this day!

As Glenn mentioned, you can McGuyver a foot-controlled TM pretty quick and easy in a pinch. For a MG TM, remove the 6 screws from underneath the cap to access the shaft/gear head. Attach a pair of Vise-Grip pliers right to the gear. (It doesn't have to be "bone-crushing" tight. Try to keep the gear unmarred for repair later.) They will grab firmly and provide a solid point for manual turning the TM foot. A short piece of PVC or a busted flipping stick duct taped to the pliers handles and you now have a hand controlled TM. Slide a trash bag loosely over the repaired TM head and make a wrap or two with tape to reduce moisture exposure to the electrical componants and you could finish a T like that. ;)

Wow, I must have been asleep during those classes!!!!!:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Randy!

:huh::huh::huh:

No "classes" for me, just years of first hand experience. Didn't mean to offend as I thought you'd like a little info in case it happens again. My bad. :rolleyes:

No offense taken! I just get real nervous "tinkering" or "modifing" things and it sure is good to know that there are some here that can help. I once changed out a switch in my bathroom along with the ceiling exhaust fan and when all was done (I use that term loosly), I flipped the switch and the hall lights came on and off! I took three of us to figure this one out!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

Heck, Glenn told me once about the simple way to tighten the trolling motor cable on my MinnKota (screw on the pedal) and I have been able to share that several times this year alone.:cool:

Thanks to all!

Randy!

You should have knocked those guys out of their boat and either taken their bag or taken their trolling motor!!! ha ha ha. Just kidding. Terrible luck out there. But what goes around, comes around. Good luck will come your way my friend. Just keep pluggin away!! Fish safe!

Latest posts

Back