Bad Bilge Pump Location

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Knapich

Reaction score
The hose fitting on my bilge pump broke and the pump just pumps the water back into the bilge. I found this out during a downpour this past weekend. My question: Why would Nitro mount the bilge pump under the gas tank where you can't get at it? I have a 2004 700LX. The livewell and recirculating pumps are accessible in the bilge area but how do you get at the bilge pump? Do I have to take the gas tank out? That would be an all day job to take care of a 5 minute replacement. It looks like it's the Mayfair brand and in the catalog that model has 2 or 4 screws in the base which I won't be able to get at.

Good job Nitro.

Had the same problem with my 185....the livewell pump is under the bilge pump and is very difficult to get at it. I replaced it with the replaceable cartridge type from Rule.

Just twist and clean and twist back on:)

Go to their website and check it out......

rule-industries.com

Almost all bilge pumps are going to be at a 'poor/bad' location, for their need to be on the bottom. However, putting one under a gas tank - that sounds ugly.

I need/want to change mine out with an 'auto' run version, just haven't done it as yet. I have a perpetual leak in the tubing/hoses for my livewell drain(s). It slowly puts water into the bilge. I routinely run the bilge about every hour or so, just to make sure. Was pre-fishing for a tourney last year, just running around the lake all day. All of a sudden I realize that I have water in the floorboard. Forgot to run the bilge, as I wasn't doing my normal fishing routine.

Tex

I could not agree more on this subject. I purchased a new 2004 Nitro NX 750 taking delivery this past March. After running the boat on several trips this spring I realized the bilge pump would not pump water out. Upon investigation, you wouldn't believe the position one has to put themselves in to see the pump under the 30 gal. fuel cell, I found the plastic outlet neck on the pump was broken off. The pump only pumped water back into the bilge!!

I would like to change out the pump for a higher capacity pump with an automatic & manual mode without a visit back to the dealer, preferring to perform the upgrade myself. It looks to me like the fuel cell removal is the ONLY way to access the pump and mounting screws. Poor design and layout!! Ideas anyone????

Just move the pump?:huh: Should be a way to make it more accessible:wacko:

My Astro bilge pump sits on a small raised pad that is molded into the bottom of the hull. Opening the rear compartment exposes the livewell and bilge pumps for easy view/access. I think if I had a similar problem, I would simply cut the wires and hoses from the existing pump and install a new pump where I wanted. If there is no pad in the hull to mount a pump, you can always make a bracket that you can screw to a brace or the transom to mount the pump on. Rick, I think my Nitro had an access panel inside the storage compartment under the seats that allowed access to the livewells and other stuff in that area. You may want to take a look at yours.

There is no access to the rear of my bilge, under the fuel tank, from anywhere. I solved my dilemna by disconnecting the wires to the pump, reaching around and grabbing it, and tearing the pump off the 2 screws that were mounted through the base. I removed the remaining plastic around the screws then srewed them out with a long nose pliers. I then remounted my transducer from the rear bilge area to the area where the pump was with silicone adhesive and mounted the new bilge pump where I had the transducer.

Funny thing, the bilge pump that Nitro mounted was a cartridge type where the cartridge was supposed to be removed from the top.?????

I'm getting a 19' soon with a 200 Opti. I need the extra storage and fishing room. Guess which brand I'm not getting, ever again. Not just because of the ridiculous pump location, but because of a long laundry list of problems I've had with this boat.

Why not have the dealer do it, warranty or not. It would be worth it to see how they deal with it. Service has to do that enough times and I'll bet there is a location change!!:p

TOXIC

Tee,

While on the Rule cartridge subject.

I need a new livewell pump.

Can the Rule be taken apart and cleaned while the boat is in the water?..Do you need to cap off the through hull fitting to do it ?

My old one is easy to get to and clean,but you need to un-do the through hull fitting to do it,so the boat needs to be out of the water.

Steve

Latest posts

Back