Backlashin' SOB

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Last year I bought a BPS David Fritts 4.3 to 1 reel to be used for crankbaits. For deep diving crankbaits the slow retrive is fantastic however, from the very beginning I have struggled casting with this reel without getting major backlashes on 9 out of 10 casts. I've tried three differant lines (all 10 or 12 pound test) with no improvement, I keep all six of the backlash pins full on. The only thing that keeps this reel from backlashing is to tighten down the cast control knob and keep my thumb riding the spool throughout the whole cast. This really shortens the casting distance which is not what I'm looking for when fishing crankbaits.

I should add that I'm no rookie when it comes to fishing with a baitcast reel...in fact it all I use. I can sling a bait with any of my Curados or Daiwa reel without a problem. I realize that this BPS reel isn't on par with those reels but it should perform better than it is. Do you all think there's something wrong with this reel...should I try breaking it down a giving it a good clean & lube, or just chuck it and buy a Shimano?

Harpo

Check the shim under the cast control knob to see if it's dimpled...if it is , you can flip it over and get a little more life but, it may need to be replaced.

Sounds crazy, but try it without the magnets on and the friction control on light, use your thumb to control backlash. This is how I learned to cast with a baitcaster and I rarely get backlashes. IMHO the magnets causes you to throw harder and that creates the spool speeding up to fast at the start of the cast.

Saturday, I used a cheapo Baitcaster from BPS, ($29.99) combo with 20lb piano wire using crankbaits. I have only used Curados before, never got one backlash all day on the BPS Combo, before I threw my first cast, I shut off all the magnets and loosened the friction knob.

Maybe it's worth a shot.

CJL

I also have one of the reels, and I have no problems (as you have described) with it. I've used it with many of the DT series crankbaits, along with some bandits, and Lucky Craft baits. Haven't tried using it as yet (as I remember) with anything really light (like a shad rap).

Which rod are you using? I also bought an American Rodsmiths fiberglass rod.

Tex

Tex...Saturday I was using a brand new BPS 7'6" medium Crankin' Stick. I was really looking forward to some long distance action. I started out with a 1/2 oz Cordel Spot and then switched to a long billed crankbait around 1/2 oz too. There was a slight wind but I was careful not to cast into the wind.

Harpo

I'll buy it from you Harpo if you want to shell it and stasrt over. Some reels just don't fit an individual's style.

TOXIC

Hmm. I had a similar problem with a setup I had. Believe it or not, it was the rod. No matter what reel I put on it, it backlashed frequently. I think this rod in particular had a stiff butt section and tip, but the mid section was too soft. It would cause what I would call a "whipping" action. This whip would cause the spool speed to change during the cast. I worked on adjusting my casting style and got some improvement, but I was never really happy with it. If i remember right I broke that rod. It was good riddance. Try the reel on another rod that you are familiar with. Or try another reel on that rod.

This calls for a fix it or feel better. To fix it, do this. On your backlash control knob, tighten it all the way so when you press the button the lure doesn't make the spool take out line. Then gradually loosen the knob until the weight of the bait causes it to fall fairly easily. Then adjust your brakes. I would try 4 brakes out. If that doesn't work try 5, then 6, then 3, 2,1. This should work.

If it doesn't fix it, you need to feel better. Grab the nearest claw hammer and beat the chit out it until no one would be able to tell it once was a fishing reel.:D

That reel is really designed specifically to work with a fiberglass rod, ie the American Rodsmith version. I suspect, that is where the heart of the problem is.

Best of luck. Me also, let me know if you don't want it, and if Toxic doesn't buy it (he's got first dibs of course), I will.

Tex

Tex, the Crankin' Stick I'm using is a glass/graphite "hybrid", according to the BPS catalog. I would think that since the reel is advertised as a crankbait reel and the rod is a crankbait rod they should play nice together.

Don, I did have this reel on a differant rod (7' MH) last year. I thought putting it on the new rod would solve the problem.

I think my next step is going to be remove the bearings and flush them and relube. BPS reels are notorious for coming from the factory with either too much oil or too heavy oil. It that doesn't work, the next time I see my neighbors dog crapping in my front yard I'm going to bean him with it.;)

Harpo

I have an abu C3 5500AB that would backlash no matter who used or what type of lure they used.. I did two things to make this rule usable, Pline C-XXX as line a must have on all baitcasters. Second adjust the tension knob enough that when the thumb bar is press the lure should stop and the spool should stop wehn the lure touchs the water..

X

Latest posts

Back