Back to the Spark Plug Issue - Part 2

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Okay, I had read that the 150XR6 takes an NGK BU8H spark plug (gapless).

Today, I'm reading through my Mercury manual and I discover that the recommended spark plug is an NGK BPZ8H5-10!

Then, I go to the NGK website and discover that there isn't a BPZ8H5-10 spark plug with that number. The closest I can find is a BPZ8HS-10. But that's not for the XR6!

So, before I go pulling plugs out of my outboard to see if I can find a number, does anyone have any wisdom to share on the issue of WHICH spark plug I should be using?

The motor is a 2002 Mercury XR6 (150 h.p.).

mofish,

there should be a label on the side of your motor which tells you the right plug. otherwise, i would email mercury or ask bob at marine usa. hope this helps.

Mark -

Do it the easy way, call:

Bob Bourget, MarineUSA, 800-370-2628; or

Craig, BPS - Auburn Hills, 248-333-0997; or

Teresa, BPS - Springfield, 417-887-3832.

Any of them can ship the CORRECT plugs to you UPS and you'll have them in tomorrow evening.

me!

P.S. Don't drop them and break the ceramics!

yikes!

what's up with these expensive spark plugs?

After finding that the auto stores didn't have them, I went down to one of the local marinas to get a spare set for my '01 90hp...even they had to order them...they ended up giving me 'their' price for them...~$12 each!...good thing I only needed 3...they were the 'gapless' plugs...

az

Whoa man....I don't think I'll be replacing mine very soon after I get my new ones . I have never replaced them since new....1 1/2 seasons but, figured since break-in it might be a good idea. The old ones look good but, I'll use em' as spares.

TEE

I'm gonna put my "spares" in this spring after I run the fogging oil out...

You know first hand how "cold-blooded" the 90hp is...

The service guy at the Marina said new plugs each year would help it fire up quicker...I'm all for that!

az

I have had the same sparkplugs in my 2000 XR6 since new (3 seasons). I was going to replace them last year but the mechanic at the dealer told me that they should be good for 5 years or so.

Bob G.

Bob, with the total hours you run your boat a season, they'll last you about 15 years!

Andy - If I'm not mistaken, the "P" in your plug number refers to platinum, a more expensive and more conductive metal. The down side: more expensive. The up side: longer durability. Hope this helps.

Rob,

I plan on buying a bass boat of somesort before my 15 year plugs expire!! I only clock 20 to 25 hours on the big motor a season.

Bob G.

James D. and Russ were both right. On the flywheel cover there is a sticker that lists the recommended plug and gap.

NGK-BPZ8HS-10

(Takes a 13/16 spark plug socket by-the-way)

.040 gap

Owners manual says 20 ft./lbs. of torque, or finger-tight plus 1/4 turn. (Since I'm apparently anal, I'll use the torque wrench!)

Thanks too, Russ for recommending Mercury Parts Express!

mofish - now i'm curious. i thought from the previous post it was decided a surface type or "gapless" plug was what was required. i'm wondering if they switched mid year or something on the xr6 or that the listings in the manuals/website has a mistake or it is a case that either type would work. i'd pull one of the plugs and see what number it is. hopefully, it is what is in your manual and what is on the flywheel. looks like mercury has really improved their website also (thinkin about getting me one of those cool mercury hats).

jd

The NGK site lists the spark plug for a Merc XR6 (1997) as the BU8H. That's the latest they cite as specific to the XR6. I had picked up the BU8H number from another boats/motors site (I won't say which one, because I'd embarrass myself even admitting I was there.).

But my manual and the label on the flywheel very nearly agree (the manual has a typo, switching the "S" for a "5".

I've gotta go out and buy a 13/16th spark plug socket before I can pull the plugs. But I'll look at the number and get back with ya.

I see a Grab Bag documentary in the making.....

Complete with instructions on how to shop at Sears for torque wrenches and spark plug sockets.....

Pictures of gapped and gapless plugs.....

A breakdown of plug manufacturers' coding systems.....

AND an instructional video for $19.95 plus postage and handling!

act now and for the next 30mins we'll throw in a 2gallon bucket of "Bilge Water,..with orange oil" absolutely FREE,..but you must order now!

Just had my service manual returned. It is for 135, 150, 175, & 200 models with serial numbers OG960500 and above. Manual is 90-878079 dated January 2000.

It states that the ignition system is:

Capacitor Discharge

Spark Plug Type - NGK BPZ8HS-10 (torque at 20 ft/lbs)

Spark Plug Gap - 0.040 in. (1.0 mm)

Firing order - 1-2-3-4-5-6

Yes Mo, I also use a torque wrench. I use it anywhere torque is specified.

BTW, the service manual for about $35 and parts manual for about $10 are very good investments. Order from Mercury Parts Express.

Russ

does the video come with the "free" ronco spark plug gapper?

I think it's a Ginsu Gapper....you can cut a beer can in 1/2 with it too......very handy those 1/2beer cans are!!

Uh, Mark..... You're the Producer..... And Writer..... And Director..... And Cinematographer..... And Distributor!

Oh.

By the way, I now have a torque wrench that reads in BOTH ft./lbs. and in./lbs.!!!!!

Just got back from buying my six new plugs. And The Fishin' Hole had them for $7.99 each!!! BONUS!!

Latest posts

Back