Back On The Water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanted to drop by and say Hi to everyone! Can't believe I've been on this site for 17 years. Been tough the past few years, I got a new Z17 early 2108, got to use it a few times and then was hit with health issues. In treatment rest of 2018 and recovery 2019. Finally got to take a trip to Istokpoga two weeks ago but not as many fish as expected. The 8 pounder did make up for that a little bit. Got out on my section of the St Johns river today with a front hanging around with overcast skies. A little early for this part of river for bass but it was fun. 3.5lb hybrid, 2.5lb redfish, a dink large mouth, and a big pickerel. I've never caught a pickerel on this section of the river. Working to get him in the boat with net and he wound up breaking off with my rapala! Never know some days on the river but it was awesome. Missed a few other bites on a trick worm too.
Again, glad to be back and hoping health hangs in there. Everyone have a safe, healthy, and fun year with good luck fishing!
Bill

Bill,
Glad your back up and running!
We used to fish the St Johns out of a camp or two around Astor. Ha, that's been a few years back.
Vic

Vic,
Thanks. I've been fishing the St Johns between Shands Bridge to Palatka for over 20 yrs. Can be tough to find them sometimes but pay attention to tides which make a big difference. We had an eel grass die off due to 2017 Irma hurricane but I see some signs its coming back, fishing the eel grass is a great pattern.
I've been south down to Lake George over the years but since a ramp is 20 minutes from house I maximize time on water on closest part of river.
Always wanted to get down to Astor, probably looked at one of the camps you mention as a possibility for a few days trip.
Bill

Bill
Good to see you back, I have not fished Istokpoga in a couple of years I heard that it has changed a lot since then. I had heard that they killed all the grass on the lake and the fishing has been tuff. That lake was a big bass haven if you like to flip. Going to The Big O next week for a few days hope the weather holds. When I fish the St.Johns I go out of Astor or stay at the Paromore's camp on the river. Tight Lines!! Jerry

Jerry, Thanks. You are correct, FWC sprayed the Hydrilla in Istokpoga for years and it changed the lake. Doing some research it is the most treated lake by FWC invasive plant control program. That's a bummer but I learned they are doing that all over Florida lakes! Sampson is a nearby lake I've never fished and I'm not sure about spending the time to learn it if its being sprayed (also it is an hour away while river is 20 minutes away).
The St Johns eel grass die off unfortunately was caused by hurricanes but it always seems to come back based on my experience and thank goodness its native and not controlled by FWC.
Have fun on Big O next week, the sheer numbers are on your side there! I'll take a gander at Paromore's Camp too, thanks!

Jerry, Thanks. You are correct, FWC sprayed the Hydrilla in Istokpoga for years and it changed the lake. Doing some research it is the most treated lake by FWC invasive plant control program. That's a bummer but I learned they are doing that all over Florida lakes! Sampson is a nearby lake I've never fished and I'm not sure about spending the time to learn it if its being sprayed (also it is an hour away while river is 20 minutes away).
The St Johns eel grass die off unfortunately was caused by hurricanes but it always seems to come back based on my experience and thank goodness its native and not controlled by FWC.
Have fun on Big O next week, the sheer numbers are on your side there! I'll take a gander at Paromore's Camp too, thanks!
Hey Bill
I see the B.A.S.S is at the St.Johns today tru Sunday I bet if you watch there live broadcast you probably know right where they are fishing. Maybe find some new spots.

Hey Bill
I see the B.A.S.S is at the St.Johns today tru Sunday I bet if you watch there live broadcast you probably know right where they are fishing. Maybe find some new spots.

Thanks Jerry, I received a B.A.S.S. DVD of 2019 a few months back which I didn't know had St Johns footage with Clunn until I watched last week. He did great even though the grass was gone and I've been watching a bit of this year to note some new spots as well! Tight lines!

Quite a few nice Bass being caught over here in the WinterHaven area. Many BIG GIRLS 5-10lbs are in the news as they have been moving in on to the beds. Check out the Lakeland Ledger every Thursday for the fishing report. The spec's are on the spawn right now. I have been on the water alot this month, since I've healed up from 5 By Pass surgery back in October.

Great to hear your are doing well Fishin1.0!!! I may have to explore down that way one of these days, haven't been to any lakes in that area.

Latest posts

Back