back from canada, trailer issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
so the trip was awesome, but when I drove the 5 1/2 hours there, my trailer wheel was smoking and cocked to the side. Pulled the hub off, outter bearing is gone, I mean not there, peices in the wheel, balls from the bearing everywhere. The spindle was shreaded. Got ahold of a guy in Clayton NY( Dons Prop Shop, awesome guy) I had to remove the entire axle assembly to get it to his shop. He replaced the spindle with a new one, and checked the other wheel too. the other wheel also was about gone. The bearings were all but shot in there too. Both bearings were replaced spring of 2008 after I had a n issue with the brake system partially locked, and drove it awhile, before realizing it, things got very hot, so I replaced everything. Not sure if this had anything to do with it or not.

Long story short, the guy up there told me by the trailer manufacture(which is not tracker BTW)they said all parts are obsolete, so he said they must have had issues on them before. So I'm good now, i drive home 5 1/2 hours a week later, pull in the garage, jack up the trailer to check it out, and the same wheel with bran new bearings and spindle, is very wobbly, outter bearing looks fine, I can't get the wheel off now for some reason.

Any buddy have any ideas, before I just go buy a whole new axle? Oh yeah trailer was new in 2006

With your history of problems, I think a new axle is a no brainier. Better be safe than sorry.

I replaced my axle and hubs last year from Champion Trailers. They are the best. Excellent customer service and the prices are good too. Plus they have the spindle through the hub design. That in addition to the seals that have the double lip on them - keep you on the road and up and running. I would seriously take your measurements, figure out how much weight wise you need for your axle and call them. They have a good website too.

Latest posts

Back